Love my 430 6MT coupe but..... | FerrariChat

Love my 430 6MT coupe but.....

Discussion in '360/430' started by howl, Jul 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So I purchased a pristine F430 6MT about a year ago. Car has been nearly flawless and is a blast. It had about 7K miles when I got it and I have added about 5K. There are three things I do not like about the car. All can be lived with, but why not try to achieve perfection. I am looking for suggestions and the experiences of others:

- Clutch pedal relatively heavy - I read this could be a sign that clutch is going. Dealer told me these cars were designed for F1 and therefore clutch is heavier and it is normal. Supporting the dealers contention is that clutch engages beautifully and evenly, it has been flawless for 5K miles (no long trips in there so lots of shifts). Also, no change over 5K. I have not had a chance to compare to another 430 but did compare to a 360. The 360 also felt heavier than my other cars but lighter than my 430. How do others with 6MT find their cars? Any suggestions to make it lighter. I spoke to one other owner who like me, felt his clutch was particularly heavy.

- OK, I know this next point may be considered herrasy, but I have a stick system with operating bypass valves and like it around town. At highway speeds (70mph +) I find it to be loud. I generally do not turn on the stereo as it competes with the exhaust unless you really crank it. Any thoughts on a quieter option when the calves are closed. If I can figure this out, I will start to put serious milage on the car.

- I have manual seats. They are a little low. Anyone raised their seats? I am thinking this should be pretty easier with longer bolts and some spacers.

Appreciate all thoughts. Happy motoring! Thanks.

2. gages

gages Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    Clutch pedal on my 355 was heavy and so it remains on the 430, its just the way it is.

I have my valves pinched off and the Tubi tips, I thought it only makes a difference at sub 4k RPM, above 4k, valves are open no matter what.

At highway speeds it all about revs. Put it into 6th at 2.5k RPMs and its fairly quiet, 3rd gear at 7k RPMs, well that's another matter....

3. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Buy a different car. Pref not a Ferrari.

R

4. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I have a 430 MT also. I don't have a problem with the clutch. Never did. The revs fall off very fast so you have to shift quickly but other than that, no problem.

Granted I had 2 911s before. One of them was a 1987 so I know a thing or two about a stiff clutch and transmission.

5. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'll do you a favor and trade you my F1 430.

6. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    Ha,

I have my F430 3 pedals for over 10 years by now since new. Actually, I see it differently,

1. I thought my clutch pedal was too light in comparison to my 550/575, I would wish to have it a bit heavier.

2. I am 6 ft tall, and I thought the seats were too high, so I would also like to have it lowered...

Alex

7. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Gages - thanks for the thought. I have a 328 and the pedal is lighter on that car.
    Perkins - ��
    Alex - interesting. Really makes me think I need to find another 6MT to assess or it may come down to perspective. Appreciate the feedback.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Agree..

9. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Perkins - was supposed to be a smiling emoticon, not suppress why question marks came up - good try.

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I always liked a heavy clutch myself. I like industrial strength components. My 360 is ideal to me at low revs but one thing I noticed is that is feels really light when you are shifting near redline. I thought it was just adrenaline at the beautiful sound/speed making the sensation feel lighter but now a couple years into this and 7K miles driven I am pretty sure the system is so well designed that the clutch is almost automatic when really pushing the car. It gets so light I almost wonder if you need to clutch at all at high revs. It has that motorcycle smoothness when everything is being used as intended. Really incredible engineering and the feeling is one of surgical precision and euphoria to me. I don't know what you have sharpened your teeth on OP to get your references but I can envision that with the extra HP of the 430 they probably beefed up some of the parts. I doubt it has anything to do with F-1.

11. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the input. After reading posts by Gage's, black bolt, Alex and Kevin, thinking I rally need to figure out what's up. Kevin, I agree on all points (as it relates to my car), but pedal pressure. Probably the smoothest shifting car I have ever owned and clutch take up is highly consistent and precise. I prefer t light flywheel as well. I learned to drive stick in the 70's on a 1970 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland. Have owned several Porsche's since then, been on the track in some friend's purpose built race cars, and currently have a 2009 ZR1 and 328 GTS sitting next to the 430 in my garage so no stranger to high horsepower or light flywheels (race cars). I have driven trucks as well. This pedal feels heavy to me relative to all those so I am thinking I need to check it out again. I expected a a bunch of posts reading, yes a little heavy but that is not what I got (one or two but enough variance to make me think I need to explore further).

Any thoughts on the exhaust? Love the sound except on long stretches of highway where the speed does not vary.

With regard to the seat, I currently have four cars for my personal use. Last night I went and measured distance from the seat to center of the wheel, and wheel to seat back. All are identical except 430 where there is 1 inch more between seat bottom and wheel center. Makes me think I should raise the seat an inch. Only hesitation is I am 5'10" and find fixed seats in race cars are usually consistent (some adjusted for specific drivers) with how the 430 is set up. I know I prefer to sit on the high side. Will think that through.

Thanks again for the thoughts. Most of it is helpful.

12. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #12 andrew911, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Strange- I didn't have a heavy clutch on my prior 360, and not heavy on my 355 either? My daily driver is a old BMW (2000 540i)- BMW's have very smooth clutches (at least that era- haven't driven a newer BMW stick) and the effort is less with the 540 then either Ferrari, but the I did not find either Ferrari to be heavy.

The cars I drove that did have heavy clutches include my former 1987 911, and heavier than that the clutch in my 1978 911. Heavier than the 1978 911 was a friend's modified '85 mustang, which may have been the heaviest clutch I've driven...

This is getting off topic but I can't help but comment- when getting on the 360 (I'm sure the 430 is the same)- the light weight flywheel etc brings the RPMs to a perfect point when shifting at higher rps 7-8+K and it's PERFECTLY lined up for the next upshift vs. driving more sedately and shifting at ~4K where you sort of need to match the revs for smooth upshifts. I never noticed the clutch pedal getting lighter in those circumstances but I did notice the car really being in its element. It was amazing! I was ready for a change of cars and wanted to experience something a little different thus the move to a 355 spider...part of the reason to move backwards was the 360 was so capable and felt so good with those high speed shifts and very brisk driving I wanted to take the temptation of speed down a notch :)

13. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Tom- I forgot to make a quick comment on your actual topic/question :)

It sounds like you need one of a few potential items:
    A brake fluid/clutch fluid flush may help things if you haven't been having this done on your car. If it hasn't been done in a long time you may have to flush the system, then re-flush after some miles.

See if your mechanic can check cable adjustment/if any lubrication points.

Finally, if your clutch is good you can just decide to live with it. I have noticed when getting a new clutch over the years that the effort is greatly reduced vs the old clutch- I'm sure that the effort would be reduced with a new clutch, but that is quite an expensive option if the clutch is otherwise working properly.

Are you using a highly regarded independent or the dealer? I would prefer the hgihly regarded independent, or at least check with one if you are otherwise using a dealer..they should be cheaper to deal with, and may know about the stick Ferrari's/be good at diagnosing/adjusting things a little better than the dealer's tech.

14. mashoutposse

mashoutposse Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2005
    Had manual and F1 F430s simultaneously. I sold the manual first despite being a diehard because I had more fun in the F1.

For those with manual F430s, do your cars "hold the revs" on throttle blip to help on downshifts? Mine did (2006 Berlinetta), and I disliked that behavior.

15. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    I don't think the clutch pedal is heavy.
    To my eyes, it has the perfect balance. :)

Changing gears in a manual F430 is just so magical.

16. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've had mine since new, about 10 years. 25K on it and I think it's pretty light. Definitely lighter than my Porsche Cayman R and WAY lighter than my buddy's 550.

Dave

17. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Again, thanks for all the comments. A picture is emerging.
    Andrew - lots of good thoughts there. I did have all the fluids changed when I purchased the car a year ago. I know the car got very little use between 2011 and 2014 (maybe 1,500 miles). Maybe worth another flush. I did ask to have all the potential bind points lubricated. If I were to guess, there is either a hydraulic issue or just a very strong spring in the clutch. I did think about having it replaced but with exception of the pedal effort, it is flawless. Probably the smoothest I have owned. If there were any issues with take up, chatter etc..., I would assume the clutch was going. But, really good.

Hardtop - I have not driven a manual Cayman R (although my wife just got one with the DCT) but I did recently drive a Cayman GTS with a stick. More effort than the GTS.

Some of this makes me wonder if Ferrari just uses multiple vendors and there are differences between cars.

18. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Hi Tom,

The clutch in my 430 manual is a farly light clutch. I would say light-medium. It defintiely should not feel heavy. The pedal travel distance, yes, is lengthy. But light or light-medium clutch.

My 360 before that, which my brother now owns, had just about an identical clutch.

The 355 is known to have not only a very short clutch pedal travel distance but also quite a light clutch. For me the 355 has the best manual transmission and clutch of any car ever produced in the history of automobiles, Ferrari and otherwise.

I agree with you about the noise of even the stock exhaust. When the valves open at 3500 RPMs or so, the thing is really loud. I wish there were a quieter option.

Sorry to hear about the seats. I suppose you can use spacers as you suggested. Wow - I've neither seen nor heard of manually operated seats in either a 360 or a 430. Sure, we all know about the $3,000 option for power seats, but I've never actually seen one without the option. Can you post pictures just for fun?

19. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #19 howl, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dave,

Thanks for your comments. They got me wondering if those of us with the 6MT in fact have the same unit. Mine is a mid year 2007. What year is yours. I was told I have the same unit that goes into the 599 is known to be heavy. I would also describe mine as heavy with a short throw. I attached three pictures.

The first is the clutch pedal from my ZR1. Notice the distance of the clutch from the floor (about 8"). My 328 is about 7" and my S4 is about 8" as well (not shown). The next is the clutch pedal from my F430. Notice it lines up with the brake pedal and is barely more than 5 inches from the floor. A relatively short throw. I like it that way as it is quick and progressive. You describe yours as a long throw.

I also attached a picture of the drivers manual Daytona seat. Apologize for the awkward angle but I wanted to capture the manual handle. I actually like the idea of having the light, manual seat but there is something slightly off about the seating position for me. I think going up maybe an inch would fix it for me. I tend to like to sit high. When I measured my other cars, my consistency in seat position is pretty good. The Ferrari is about an inch different. With that said, when I have been in racing seats, they are positioned almost identically to the Ferrari and I have been told been some names in racing you would recognize, that the lower position is proper so part of me thinks I should just "get used to it".

Thanks again for your thoughts on the clutch, seats and mufflers. Interested to hear your thoughts on the clutch throw, and continuing thoughts of others.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    911 turbo S rider here. I went to buy a regular turbo because I wanted a MT. I know how to drive them and have always though a proper sports car has 3 petals period. Let me put on my fire proof suit I sense I'm about to be flamed.

My sales man in building my to order car asked me if I wanted ceramic brakes. I said hell yes if for no reason than NO BRAKE dust. One we checked that box and all the others it was knocking on the door of TTs territory.

He said you need to drive the PDK. I did , because why not get some seat time but I told him. I don't do automatics in sports car. He asked me why? Less control, less fun and so on.

Let me tell you I can rev match, down shift to slow down or speed up, heal and toe and have won my share of auto cross in my Japanese builds over the years. I can drive a stick but I can't shift or execute down shift into a tight hair pin while staying on my optimal line as well with a stick. I just focus on my line and my speed and I let the PDK worry about throttle position based on the gear I grab with the paddle.

Going up in sort Mode equally exhilarating. Mash the gas, hold the gear until you squeeze the trigger and it's like firing and automatic weapon. The gears just hit and the car stays on boost better than any shift that a man can perform with 3rd petal.

I would still own a stick for old times sake but not for fun or performance.

Hope you guys still love me :)

Again, just the humble opinion of a guy who likes to go fast.

21. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wow your picture just didn't set right with me so I went out and measured mine, its a 360 BTW. I have almost 7 1/2 inches of travel when measuring like you are and of course it lines up with the brake pedal and gas too. Interesting!!

22. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My car is a Nov 07 build with 30K and the clutch feels just right, although I prefer to put it in neutral at stops in stead of holding it in. I had the vac lines disconnected from my exhaust and it is a much louder drone at 70 MPH then with them connected. Of course an F1 or PDK will be much faster at the track. You can also get pregnant with artificial insemination but it is much more fun doing it the old way

23. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I'm with the majority here.. My 6MT F430 clutch pedal feels light to medium which I particularly like.
    As for the seat, I'm okay with it just wished the bolsters were a tad wider at top.
    I honestly cannot see the joy driving an F1 car on the street, pales in comparison to a proper gated Ferrari.

24. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    My F355 clutch is very easy and light to me. I really love it along with my gearbox. Smooth. Drove a 430 stick and noticed how much heavier the clutch was. Felt like a vette from the 80's... :)

Good luck with the adjustment.

Robb

25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My 2009 F430 stick cutch also feels light- medium light. My 550 feels heavier.

As to the seats- I find those more luxury type seats (vs racing seats) sit too high- I wish I could make it lower and Im average height.