What battery? | FerrariChat

What battery?

Discussion in '360/430' started by russomanno, Jul 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russomanno

russomanno Karting

Dec 16, 2011
    My mechanic told me that the battery in my car is wrong which makes sense because it's clearly too big and the foot rest doesn't fit properly. But what is the correct battery to run in this car? He didn't have anything in stock...

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a battery on order from Interstate Batteries. It's the one their website says is for a 430. The site says the same for a 360. It wasn't a battery they stock, so they had to order it.
    It's an MT-7 34R (R for reverse - positive terminal on the right)

Im sure others will chime in with suggestions.

3. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    #3 GaryR, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    I believe the MT7-34R is fine, it's AGM and reasonable. You can pay more for an Odyssey or Optima if you like, just stay away from other liquid cell options.

4. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
  5. gages

gages Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    #5 gages, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I use a Braille B128L in mine, fantastically low weight but a bit on the pricey side.
    Weight of only 8.8lbs / 4kg and fast charges in just a few minutes and yields 90Ah's !

I have 2 of these... (1 for backup but I've never had to use it yet [fingers crossed] so I just keep it as a spare)
    https://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_batteries/b128l

and 1 of these...
    https://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_chargers/12325l

The Li best battery I've found that really works, shame its just so pricey so will put off the majority of people. I guess this just points to a future with Li eventually replacing all lead acid.

-T

7. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    "A bit" on the pricy side is an understatement!

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    ..But consider how much weight your saving (and from your wallet too!)

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think the Odyssey 925 is a nice compromise. I think the factory shipped direct to my door for about $280 USD. I am in the middle of the Pacific mind you. At half the weight of the OEM I am happy. There are some threads in here about it.

10. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Mine died in my driveway a few months ago. It was a Sunday afternoon. I got this from Sears. AGM and very reasonably priced at under $150.

Sears.com

11. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
  12. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #12 Drestless, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Regardless which brand you choose in the end, just make sure to purchase AGM battery.

The battery is technically in the interior and non-AGM battery has the potential of spilling flammable fluids when the car rolls or in a collision and can cause fire from inside the cabin. Imagine being trapped inside and flames starts where the battery is at. Not a good situation to be in.

Whenever safety is involved, don't try to look for cheaper alternatives (non-AGM).

This is my 2 cents for this topic. :)

13. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    +1

14. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    #14 Jeff Pintler, Jul 31, 2015

About every week someone posts a question on which battery. It's kinda like saying driving on the right side of the road is better than driving on the left side of the road. No kidding, lead acid batteries are in a bazillion cars on the road and my thought experiment tells me if your car flips over onto it's roof, then you have a bunch more problems than acid leaking out and burning your Ferrari to the waterline. There is some evidence that an AGM battery will crank harder and last longer but that battery chemistry requires a different charge voltage/curve on the alternator. An Interstate MT-34R from Costco works great and just replace it every 4 years. This is my 360 and I made some tabs to hold the battery instead of the factory angle sheet metal bar and "J" bolts. Note the factory vent tube that is connected. The factory batteries have a different terminal location relative to the edge of the battery so I worry about the "angle sheet metal bar" shorting the two terminals together so I made something else. Lets get real gang, even expensive Mercedes SLS use an lead acid battery, vintage 2015. FWIW

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3pedal, 05 S-160Bobcat

Maybe cool product Idea! Carbon fiber battery retainer that won't short out the terminals!*********************
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    I use the recommended battery from Interstate. Reasonable price, no issues, and it fits.

16. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Same here.

17. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    It can't be compared to the SLS. The battery for the SLS is in the front compartment and there's a firewall between the cabin and the front component protecting the driver which gives him/her time to get out of the car in case of fire. In the 360, what protection do we have? A small metal with carpet and a fancy billet foot rest? This is why AGM is critical due to any flammable liquids that comes out of that battery in the cabin then your toast. The battery has no firewall between the cabin and is literally inside the cabin with the driver and passenger.

This can be debated all day and everybody to it's own and that's cool. However, the safety advantage of AGM compared to Lead acid when the battery is literally next to passenger / driver is hands down obvious.

At the end of the day it depends to each of the owners priority. Savings versus safety.

18. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Flammable liquids? Sulphuric acid? Maybe a bit of hydrogen...

19. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #19 Bob in Texas, Aug 3, 2015
  20. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Yup, no modification needed. Plug and play.