Fire extinguisher need? | FerrariChat

Fire extinguisher need?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dr.Gee, Jul 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
    Is it wise to have one?i.e. Are fires common? I would never have thought to have one for a car.required on my boat.

2. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
  3. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    #3 jackgt, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  4. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I have thought about getting one for my 360, but only as a protective measure for myself and passenger if we need to escape the car. If the car is one fire and I can get away from it, I am not going to try to put out the fire...too dangerous and I would rather let it burn to the ground since a burned & repaired Ferrari would be impossible to resell.

5. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I have a cheap dry chemical behind my seat in the car. I know.. its corrosive.. but I'll clean her with a toothbrush if needed IF I can save her in a fire.

7. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    no brainer IMO. You never need one until you need one. typical auto fire is under hood, so you (always) see smoke, grab the extinguisher (that must be right at hand), pop the hood and spray.

8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #8 hessank, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    I'm like Curt. I have a 5lb dry Chem behind my seat. Also you should know that as long as you have this protection the likelihood of a fire is somewhat decreased ;)

9. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Anything is better then not having one. I do hate the dry chem both for the mess as well as the corrosive issues afterward. Most small aircraft supply stores can sell you a halon/ or equal model, I guess they have an exception from the fed mandate.

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #10 Kevin Rev'n, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have one and, touch wood, hope I never need it. There is a sort of comfort in knowing that one is available. Not just for me but what if there is a fire in some other car? I think it looks cool too but then I paid extra for a beautiful safecraft version. To me it really is worth it to get Halon or Halotron. If you are going to try to save your car, save it the right way. IMHO
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I am going to put an automatic system on mine when I get a chance. the difference with the 360 is the engine is behind you where you may not see the smoke and a lot of the fuel system is right above the exhaust manifolds.

12. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
    Just found out I have one these in my boat engine compartment👓

13. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Probably best to have one although I don't. I would let my car burn to the ground though. Too dangerous and after a fire its value is toast, so to speak.