430 exhaust - something quieter than stock | FerrariChat

430 exhaust - something quieter than stock

Discussion in '360/430' started by 348SStb, Jul 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#1 348SStb, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Bone stock setup here on my 430 manual red/tan coupe.

I do love the car, but I'm not a huge exhaust noise guy; and even with the stock exhaust and stock emissions setup this thing is loud once the valves open under acceleration at about 3200 RPMs.

For me, this thing is *really* loud. Almost makes it a chore to drive because my ears take a thrashing and also I worry about announcing to the world what I am doing.

Besides advising me to buy a different car, does anyone know of an exhaust setup that does not give the car a sort of "straight pipes" sound under acceleration with the valves open? I've never heard of an exhaust that makes a car *quieter* than stock, but who knows. I don't think rigging the valves into a permanently closed position is a solution.

I like to hear the growl of the engine and the wonderful intake sound, and I could do without the loud "bahhhhhhhhh" sound out of the exhaust.

2. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    This is interesting. I've never heard this complaint before.

Mine was a bit louder with the first generation manifolds but IMO was never too loud. Personally I like the setup.

Maybe you should take a ride in another 430 . Maybe there's a problem with yours.

3. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You can close the valves permanently. Easy fix for about $300

4. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Thank you. No, this is definitely the 430 as is. I've been in countless 430s and a family member had one years ago.

5. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Engine needs the valves to be open when they are supposed to be open. Doing that would restrict flow and cause all sorts of issues.

6. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    You think you have problems!! don't swap out your manifolds for precat deleted ones, makes your stock F430 twice as loud!!!

7. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    You can buy track day mufflers - they are designed to run without valves and meet all track noise restrictions and hence are quieter.

8. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I traded up to a 360 from my 348 partly due to the noise. No cats and aftermarket exhaust. My neighbors could hear me 8 miles away from my house. Some neighbors (based on the sound figured I was speeding) would call the police before I even reached them. There was not enough Excedrin to take a long ride in the car.

9. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    I can soooooo relate to this, my days of a sneaky spin out have long gone :(

10. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I am not sure how this would be done honestly! My wife said she can only ride in my 360 with Challenge Stradale racing exhaust and no pre cats for about 20 minutes. Then we need to stop at a bar preferably to get a glass of wine and then she is good to go again for another 20 mins lol! I told her if we ever go on a longer ride together she will need to wear my Beats noise canceling headphones and she obliged! I have never heard of anyone wanting to decrease exhaust sound so this will be interesting!

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Stock Muffler?

12. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Just turn down your hearing aid device!!!!! We are talking fine music here!!!!! No need to have a radio on!!!!!

13. Dano360NC

Dano360NC Karting

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Ear plugs..... The little yellow foam ones.

14. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Interesting problem. I wonder if there's a way to program the exhaust valves to stay closed until a higher RPM?

The stereo in my Scud never even comes on because for me, the exhaust note is pure euphoria. Interesting to hear the exact opposite preference.

15. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The Forza exhaust controller has an option to manually force the exhaust bypass valves closed. Uses a manual switch that you install in passenger compartment. Using same switch you can force them open or set them to default (Normal) mode and have the car control them.

Steve

16. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Why don't some people understand that if you "force" valves open or closed on any car with an electronic engine management system, bad things will happen?

Keeping valves open or closed outside of when they are suppose to be is not an option for me or anyone who knows about F-cars and has mechanical experience.

Can we dispense with the rhetoric on that topic?

17. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    +1 agreed

18. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    #18 dvb247, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    AP Racing manifolds decat, rest is stock, professional db sound level meter only £10 on eBay, if you notice me hanging around your tailpipes in the next few weeks don't be alarmed lol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #19 bisel, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    That is not correct. The exhaust bypass valves on the car are there for sound abatement regulations ... especially in Europe where sound regulation are tied to vehicle speed. It allows the manufacturer to install an exhaust that has two modes of sound level. The quite mode (exhaust bypass valves closed) for lower engine RPM and vehicle speed. Which is typical in urban areas. The loud mode (valves open) for high engine RPM and vehicle speed, which is typical on highways away from residential areas.

There is also a practical application beyond noise abatement ... and that is to allow variation in the exhaust system back-pressure. With the bypass valves closed, the back pressure would be, in theory, higher ... which is desirable to increase torque at lower engine RPM. When the bypass valves are open, the pressure would be, again in theory, be lower which is desirable to increase horse power at higher engine RPM. That is the theory. In practice, the difference is so slight as to be negligible. Road car's exhaust systems are not manufactured to that degree of detail. Racing cars typically do not employ bypass valves ... their exhaust systems are designed specifically for the conditions that will be driven.

I have not personally tested if the torque vs HP curve is affected by forcing the valves open or closed, but based on published documents that I have read, the difference is only noticeable on a dynamometer.

On road going Ferrari's, if you force the valves always open, nothing bad will happen, unless the local constable pulls you over for your car being too loud. If you force the valves always closed, nothing bad will happen either.

Regards,

Steve

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Trade the car for a 991 Porsche Turbo. It will be faster and quieter.

21. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Not sure if this applies to 430s, but my Tubi exhaust for the 360 had no valves, it was slighly louder than stock at low RPMs but definitely quieter through the high range. It was a very nice exhaust and not at all obnoxious. Maybe they had the same design for the 430?
    I now have the OEM exhaust and that is LOUD but I love it :)

22. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I believe that Tubi for the F430 does not have valves. Others do, e.g., Capristo. The fact that some after market exhaust systems do not have valves, reinforces the argument about forcing the exhaust valves always open. Obviously, Tubi does not find them necessary and owners of Ferrari's with Tubi valveless systems have not reported problems that I have heard about.

Steve

23. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Bad idea. You might shut out the engine noise, but you will also shut out all the other noises around you. Some of these makes for safe driving. Horns, sirens, an engine revving so you notice a car you might have overlooked and what not. It's like very loud music in the car - a bad and dangerous idea.

24. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Can you explain what is happening with the exhaust gases with the valves closed, and also with the valves open?

Is it simply that, with the valves open, the gases are going directly from the catalyst to the tailpipe; whereas with the valves closed, the gases are going from the catalyst into the silencer and then out the tailpipe?

25. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think the F430 is quiet, in fact way too quiet in stock form. OP maybe it would be worth looking at a more GT type car?