Sticky Interior Parts | FerrariChat

Sticky Interior Parts

Discussion in '360/430' started by ferrarigts, Sep 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarigts

ferrarigts Rookie

Apr 28, 2015
    Illinois
    Sticky interior parts have commanded numerous posts. Has Ferrari ever distanced itself from this situation? If so, beginning with what model and year? Thanks.

2. johncasale

johncasale Karting

May 18, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe they did away with the black soft touch coating that becomes sticky over time starting with the 458 model.

3. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It has always amazed me how long Ferrari let this go on - 20 years? Why their insistence on keeping them? It definitely is not a confidence booster as to their attention on other, less visible, issues. That said, I still love them.

4. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    IMO, Sticky buttons are just Ferrari/Maser's trademark.. You just deal with it.

5. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    It tends to worsen over time. It was not so much an issue on newer cars. It did not affect new car sales, so it was not a concern.

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The 458/FF/Cali as well as newer Maserati's all still have parts inside that will get sticky in the future. I have done numerous Cali, new Maserari QP and one FF so far.

7. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Porsche had similar problems. Sloppy engineering.

8. daliguy1

daliguy1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Miami, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Jack Don
    Real simple. There is a solution for us. It costs from $25 to a couple of hundred dollars depending on how extensive your "sticky" problem is and also how much work you want to do and how extensively you are willing to it yourself.

I have found my bullet proof solution:

1) Camco 210 Plastic Cleaner Polish 14oz Spray 40934 ( to remove goo)
    2) Camco 210 plastice scratch remover ( to remove scratches)
    3) Eastwood.com /Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer Matte Black Aerosol
    Item #15089Z Plastic paint. ( TO RESORE AND SEAL from future UV damage; but only on
    solid black plastic or rubber surfaces that do not have decals or overlays displayed.)
    4) Microfiber towels or lint free alternative.

Its time we had a solution on this site that really has worked for me on my cars. I have spent the better part of 2 years trying everything else, and believe it yourself when you use this process.
    1) Mask or remove your items, spray the cleaner, let soak for 10-15 minutes, use microfiber lint free towels to remove the black gummy soft touch coating on your items.
    Once the surface is tack-free; then use Isopropal alcohol to sterilize surface for finish with any clear plastic sealant/protector made for car interiors.
    2) On any parts that require recoloring or reconditioning that do not have labeling or lettering you can use the Eastwood product to recolor and fully seal and protect part from future UV discoloration and remain sticky-free.

9. daliguy1

daliguy1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Miami, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Jack Don
    Real simple. There is a solution for us. It costs from $25 to a couple of hundred dollars depending on how extensive your "sticky" problem is and also how much work you want to do and how extensively you are willing to it yourself.

I have found my bullet proof solution:

1) Camco 210 Plastic Cleaner Polish 14oz Spray 40934 ( to remove goo)
    2) Camco 210 plastice scratch remover ( to remove scratches)
    3) Eastwood.com /Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer Matte Black Aerosol
    Item #15089Z Plastic paint. ( TO RESORE AND SEAL from future UV damage; but only on
    solid black plastic or rubber surfaces that do not have decals or overlays displayed.)
    4) Microfiber towels or lint free alternative.

Its time we had a solution on this site that really has worked for me on my cars. I have spent the better part of 2 years trying everything else, and believe it yourself when you use this process.
    1) Mask or remove your items, spray the cleaner, let soak for 10-15 minutes, use microfiber lint free towels to remove the black gummy soft touch coating on your items.
    Once the surface is tack-free; then use Isopropal alcohol to sterilize surface for finish with any clear plastic sealant/protector made for car interiors.
    2) On any parts that require recoloring or reconditioning that do not have labeling or lettering you can use the Eastwood product to recolor and fully seal and protect part from future UV discoloration and remain sticky-free.

10. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    It took about 3-4 years for the "stickies" to affect mine. I live in south Florida. Colder climates tend to do better with this issue.

My indie mechanic is going to fix mine next service.

11. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    It is absolutely outrageous that Ferrari has not corrected this problem after all these years.

12. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had the dealer take care of mine last annual. They look awesome.

13. Abyss

Abyss Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    #13 Abyss, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have done sticky interior on my past 360 and Maserati GS and now is working on my 430.

I have found the perfect receipe by using Easy Off Oven (will not remove paint or white marking) and Tamiya hobby spray paint semi gloss. I like the semi gloss finish rather than matt.

Here is some before and after pics.

Before

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

After

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Looks brand new. Nice job

15. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Don't seem to have it much on my 430, but my GranTurismo had it bad all over, and my Gallardo had it on the center console buttons. My local Ferrari dealer was able to take care of both cars. They have an in-house guy that does them, and I had the cars back in a few days. Price was very reasonable as well. If anyone in New York wants a contact over there, feel free to message me. Sticky No More was another option for me, and they do great work, but I was nervous taking the interior apart myself. With my luck, I'd snap a clip or break something, and immediately triple the cost of the job!

16. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    @abyss

If the EasyOff leaves the white lettering unscathed,
    how did you mask the lettering when respraying ?

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Denatured alcohol works well too with some terry cloth rags.
    Put some on rag
    wipe
    change to new spot on rag
    repeat

18. Abyss

Abyss Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Easyoff oven cleaner will not remove white lettering. Soak it for a min all the sticky glue will just wipe off.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I've had this problem on a 2005 Alfa Romeo GT I owned until last year and current 1997 Alfa Romeo Spider (916).

I never did anything with the GT but I took the centre console out cleaned and repainted on the Alfa Spider.
    I was not aware it is still a problem. Not seen any [yet] on my 360.

20. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Trying to figure why they still do it. got to check out a new cali and it is the same. the softness feels real good. Better than the hard plastic. I guess they figure by the time it goes bad you need a new car.

21. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I think he just sprayed semi-gloss (or satin) clear coat over the parts after he cleaned them. The plastic is black.

22. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    The first model with this problem was the 348. The sticky was just another facet of its misbegotten character.

I asked friend and older-Ferrari expert Tom Yang how Ferrari could get away with the sticky for so many years and models and he said, "Because they can!" If Sergio Marchionne goes through with his plan to significantly increase Ferrari production, they may have to do something about the sticky. With a loss of exclusivity comes more factory accountability or he won't sell all those extra cars.

Tom
    2007 F430F1 Coupé (Izzy)

23. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    John K
    After reading all the threads here and on other forums, I decided to try Charlie's Indoor/Outdoor Soap on my 2006 F430. It's mild enough to use on parts without removing them without affecting the leather. It takes a little time, repeated rubbing until all the gunk is removed but worth the time saved by not having to remove all the parts. Finish with Plast-X polish and the stickyness is gone. Leather around the area was then treated with conditioner. The only lettering I lost was the "lock" on the door handles. Center console letters were not affected.

24. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's surprising. I always assumed that the lettering was on top of the rubber coating, in which case removing the coating would remove the lettering.

25. Abyss

Abyss Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    The whole assembly is actually white/translucent so the light can pass thru. The black is actually paint and the softtouch clear coat on top of it which is the sticky stuff... Easyoff is only strong enough to remove the sticky stuff not black paint. Thats why the white lettering won't be removed.