DIY - Door Felt Weather Strip - Seal Repair | FerrariChat

DIY - Door Felt Weather Strip - Seal Repair

Discussion in '360/430' started by moritz55, Oct 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    #1 moritz55, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure if many of you have the same eyesore that I have, but being OCD about my F360 I decided to attempt to repair my door Felt Weather Seal / Strip. This thread will document the trial repair before I attempt on the actual car. If this fails, I'll let it be ..

Feedback and suggestion of course are welcome !!

Repair Kit is made by Flock It! LTD: Flock It! Flocking Fibers Adhesives Applicators Supplies and Equipment , cost $26.30 plus shipping.
    I ordered: Suede Tex "NYLON" Mini Flocker Kit in - "BLACK".
    Nylon for outdoor use and Black to match the existing Felt color.
    The approach is straight forward... you clean the bare surface and it must be dry. Apply adhesive and sprinkle on the Nylon Fibers then let it cure. Excess fibers not on the adhesive can be vacuumed up afterward so no worry of over application of felt fibers ... :)

Materials:
    1) Flocker Nylon Mini Kit - BLACK: Shopping Cart
    2) Lacquer Thinner for Cleanup of Adhesive
    3) Artist brush (#2 or #3 )
    4) Wax Paper or Plastic, Box & Tape to capture excess Nylon Fibers
    5) 400 Grit Sandpaper
    6) Sample surface used for the trial was 12" cut piece of Black Vinyl Floor Edge molding from Home Depot.

NOTE: BEFORE Starting the project - Full Cure is 1 WEEK. Do NOT TOUCH the surface until fully cured!!! So your car will be idle and must not be disturbed as outline in the instructions. This is actually the hardest part for me ... sitting, watching and waiting for it to cure and be done for complete cleanup and use .. :).

I'll outline my steps for this trial:
    Important to note that the working time is 10-15mins before adhesive skin forms.

1) Prep takes longer than doing the job itself. I lined the box with wax paper and taped it up. This is to allow recovery of the excess fibers sprinkled on the surface (for doing the car door seal if this works I'll have to make a "Gutter" type catch lip).

2) I prepped the vinyl flooring edge strip for 3 sample areas. Top Sample - Smooth surface, 2nd from Top - rough slightly with 400 grit sandpaper, 3rd from Top - roughed with 400grit sandpaper but will have thick/heavy adhesive coat (versus single thin coat in sample 2).

3) Fill the Yellow "Pepper" shaker (inner cylinder half without holes) with Black Nylon Fibers so that there is about 2" in the bottom Pour slowly and don't sneeze.... this stuff is super light and blows everywhere ... :)

4) Cap the Yellow "Pepper" shaker top SLOWLY with the outer cylinder half containing the HOLES. Compress slowly in upright position so as to not disturb and blow the Nylon Fibers much.

5) Apply the adhesive using the brush that comes with the kit and I also used the artist brush on the left side of each sample. The adhesive is just like interior house paint. It spreads easily and will self level.

6) Immediately take the "Pepper" shaker and apply the Nylon Fibers to the adhesive surface just as you would grind pepper on a steak! Hold at 45 degree angle to surface and apply heavy. Excess is better so as to assure thick coverage. (remember we'll reclaim the excess and the kit has more than enough).

7) Clean up the excess WITHOUT disturbing the surfaces "Flocked" in 16-24hrs. Then let it sit for 1week ... :)

Here are the photos... of the door areas needing repair, the kit and materials used , the lined box and vinyl edge sample prepped.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mb5 likes this.
  2. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    #2 moritz55, Oct 2, 2015
    So the project went quickly... 20mins maximum once the prepping work was done. I applied the adhesive easily. Working time is 10-15 mins and I completed the application (Peppering) on the surface in 5mins maximum. Any excess just collects in the box for reclaiming.

Note: On the Heavy coat (the bottom sample area) it ran down and thus you can see I spread the adhesive out on the lower sample right edge.
    So ... Lesson: For the car door, apply thin but sufficient coverage coating to prevent dripping.

These are the photos of the application of this material for this trial. The next update will be in a week. I hope to see how this withstands to water and who it matches color and texture once vacuumed against my actual door Felt weather seals/strip.

So stay tuned ... :)

Mark

Performify likes this.
  3. martiy1971

martiy1971 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Robert Martineau
    This looks great as I have been OCD'ing over a couple of bare spots on my door frames. Do you have a picture of the seals at the completed stage?

PS - Mods this should go into the DIY section

4. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thanks for sharing this with us. I may be doing this very soon.

5. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    "Marty1971" .. I just did this trial today and must have it fully cure for 1week so I can clean up and apply water and see how durable it is... You'll have to wait like me ... :(

6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That looks flocking awesome!

7. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Thanks for sharing. Didn't even know this stuff existed, and didn't think we could repair the felt. Should be in sticky ( maybe rename felty) section.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for making the fantastic write up with pictures! I have wondered about those kits and cant wait to find out how durable it is after it sets up.

9. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Appreciate the time and effort you took to explain this repair.

Thank you.

10. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    I was looking for a way to refurbish my felt last week and did not come up with a good solution.

moritz55: You are THE MAN.

11. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Flock me!!!

12. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just ordered mine, I bet they had a rush of black nylon kits over at Flock It, since your post! LOL

13. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    See, this guy gets it.

14. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    #14 moritz55, Oct 3, 2015
    I cleanup up and recovered the Nylon excess fibers. HAVE NOT Touched the actual "Felt & Adhesive" !! It needs 1 week for full cure.

However, because the Vinyl Floor Edge strip is portable my excitement (and OCD) led me to take the sample and place it next to the actual door "Felt" weather strip / seal for photos to post.

Good News so Far:
    - I am encouraged at the match for both color and texture. Although the new samples seem thicker it can be just because I have not vacuumed off excess so they may thin a bit, but clearly it is fresh and new looking compared to the 13yr old Felt on my door.
    - Additionally I am sure it will compress to match the original Felt strips over time.

Stay tuned .. 5.5days to go ... till fully cured ... so I can vacuum and assess durability with water and abrasive rubbing.... :) :)
    I am curious to see if the Smooth sample vs 400grit samples have less adhesion under pressure water and rubbing... ???

Hang in there with me!
    Many thanks... Mark

15. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    Following this thread and hope it works. I'd like to do mine.

16. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What I ended up doing (so far) is I used Goof Off to take the old felt off to the bend in the seal. I just ordered the Flock it kit. When it comes in, I will do the side where the window slides against the seal. That way, if there is a difference in felt color (shades of black) it will be less noticeable.

17. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    Great approach "ncjetskier" . I have not figured yet how to blend the flocking on my car door felt yet. I will be using an Exacto knife to trim any loose felt off the original weather strip / seal. As I looked at my felt - it has different shades in the light due to various levels of flattening around the door frame from the window and door itself. I am sure it will blend pretty well.

"ncjetskier" take some photos of before and after for us ...

Only 3 "Flocking" days to Go till fully cured!!! ... :)

Many thanks....

Mark

18. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    #18 moritz55, Oct 8, 2015
    It's been just over 6 days on the Flock It Repair Trial so I decided to evaluate the durability (even though full cure is 7days ... :) ). Overall it was very impressive to water, rubbing and Heating from a blow dryer. Plus I vacuumed off excess and it looks even closer to the original door Felt.
    - I decided this afternoon to do the doors on my car... :) :) :) :)

I documented the Trial Process used (attached in the PDF at the bottom of the photos) so anyone can practice this. On a scale of 1-10 it's about a 3 (easy). Only challenge is planning your work if you have multiple areas to repair on your door because after the application of the Felt Fibers - it Cannot be disturbed for 1week. I will explain this in my Final DIY write-up for doing the car door Felt repair.

Note is the PDF file - the Flock It KIT link does not work so use this(Nylon Fibers in BLACK): http://www.flockit.com/index.php/order/nylon-mini-flocker-kit-flock-fibers.html

Hope this helps.... I will be back with photos of the actual car repairs...

Suggestions and feedback is welcome...
    Many thanks, Mark

19. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mark, I have just a couple of questions. I just received my flock it kit. The adhesive can states a 10-15 hour cure time. Can I ask where the 7 days comes from?

Also, are you planning on sanding the rubber seal before applying the adhesive? If so, what grit sandpaper are you planning on using? When I removed my old felt, the seal is perfectly smooth. Thanks for any help.

20. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    #20 moritz55, Oct 8, 2015
    Thanks for the questions.
    Yes - I used 400grit sandpaper to lightly scuff the areas. I wanted to help guarantee the best adhesion.

Look at step 5 - DRYING ....
    Flock It Kit Brochure/Instructions (I added the PDF below).
    ========================================
    Step 5 - DRYING
    Once you have applied sufficient fibers set aside your project to dry for approximately 10 to 15 hours before you remove excess fibers. If you need to reclaim some of the fibers before this drying process is completed you may turn the project upside down to allow the excess to fall off.
    Do not tap or shake the project at this time as this may dislodge fibers that are sitting in wet adhesive. It is possible to speed up the initial drying time with a heat lamp. It will now take approx. 7 hours depending on your environment.
    TAKE CARE TO KEEP THE HEAT LAMP AT LEAST 18" AWAY FROM THE FIBERS. DO NOT USE A HEAT LAMP WITH A BLOWER.
    IMPORTANT
    —While the adhesive is dried at this point (10 to 15 hours) it will take 72 hours to 1 week for it to cure completely. Care should be taken in handling during this time.
    ============== ============================
    - I used 16hrs -24hrs before removing the excess (rather 10-15hrs). Essentially let it sit overnight to be safe based on humidity and temps in garages .. :)
    - Given the window and door rub the Felt every time we open/close the door - I feel we need to assure full cure ... thus 1week (vs 72hrs).

Hope this helps with my logic on the timetable ... I really wanted to guarantee full cure.

BTW "ncjetskier" - where about are you located? I just finished up today doing both my doors on the car. I hope to post photos tomorrow and finalize the DIY procedure.

Good Luck and thanks for asking the question and interest.
    Mark

21. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mark I am near the beach (Emerald Isle). My company will be doing a very small fireworks display at Ravenscroft on Oct 16th. I will not be there as I have a larger fireworks display in Wilmington. If you are ever in the area, let me know and we can grab a beer.

Thanks for the directions and clarification on drying time. My kit did not come with directions. I may start this weekend on the door and will post the results.

22. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    #22 moritz55, Oct 9, 2015
    For those that may be interested in this DIY approach for repairing your Felt Door Weather Seal - Strip I will be posting a final set of photos and procedure later today. I don't have all the photos done after the 24hr cure and tape removal...

Here is what I have so far...anyone can use.
    1) DIY - Felt repair Trial for getting experience using the FlockIt Kit.
    2) DIY - Felt Door repair work done on both my car doors. I have a Modena Coupe.
    3) FlockIt Mini Kit Instructions ( in case your kit doesn't have this)
    4) FlockIt Website instructions - for various application methods.

Many thanks... feedback is welcome.
    Mark

23. martiy1971

martiy1971 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Robert Martineau
    #23 martiy1971, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Looks great! Very nicely written as well

Thanks for sharing

Flock It - I couldn't help myself and ordered the kit

24. moritz55

moritz55 Karting

Oct 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Morizio
    #24 moritz55, Oct 9, 2015
    Well, I finished the DIY write up for Felt Door Seal repair with photos. This will be my final post but am happy to answer any questions and take suggestions on how to improve this procedure. I would rate this 3 out of 10(difficult) so it's pretty easy to do.

I have posted instructions at the bottom and strongly recommend doing a Trial Repair (#2) to get a feel for how to apply the adhesive and "Peppering" the felt fibers.
    1) DIY - Felt Door repair work done on both my car doors. I have a Modena Coupe.
    2) DIY - Felt "Trial" repair for getting experience using the FlockIt Kit.
    3) FlockIt Mini Kit Instructions ( in case your kit doesn't have this)
    4) FlockIt Website instructions - for various application methods.

I have included in this post a few Before and After photos...

Good luck ... and let me know how yours turns out.

Mark

25. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wait a minute, please don't say this is your final post. I would like to know how it holds up to a bunch of window cycles over time too!