Rev limiter / fuel cutoff? | FerrariChat

Rev limiter / fuel cutoff?

Discussion in '360/430' started by cgfen, Oct 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Just picked up a 2000 3 pedal 360 on Saturday and spent ~ 2 1/2 hours driving the back roads of north san diego county, (straight line distance would have taken 30 minutes...........)

It's all new to me, but one immediate question i have is,
    "is there a electronic or fuel system rev limiter function at a specific RPM?"
    if so, at what RPM does it occur?

I passed through an indicated 8500 rpm a few times with no obvious cutoff.
    I don't want to be hurting the valvetrain.

Thanks

Craig

2. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    I believe the cut off happens just after 8500 RPM and i am not sure what other way to test the rev limiter ... than keep your foot down ! Scary thought !

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

sport mode about 8700+,
    i've done it for 2 times
    scary really

4. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    the ECU is programmed to cut @ 8750 on the Challenge cars, I expect the road cars are the same. I was surprised but that is what's in the code. Its ignition that cuts first fires each cyl. every other cycle, never hit the fuel cut off. Its unmistakable, you won't want to do it after the first time.

Don't think about it, just drive it properly. With the exception of racing I shift @ an indicated 7500, 8200 when the red mist gets in my eyes.

Congratulations, enjoy!

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Man I don't know how you guys do that! My heart is pumping out of my chest as the tach gets near vertical, a little beyond and I have shifted already. With the Capristo everyone knows I am coming...good stuff.

one4torque likes this.
  6. ph12

ph12 Karting

Jun 28, 2015
    Los Angeles
    You havent lived until you hit fuel cut off once or twice in a ferrari.
    On the other hand dont money shift. That will blow your engine

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I can't go that far.. I just can't. I don't think I've ever hit the redline. Even if the car is capable, doing that kind of driving on a 15-16 year old car just makes me nervous. I want to say 6-7 is my high shift point.

one4torque and van22 like this.
  8. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Thanks for the feedback.
    engines are engineered to be run to redline

don't fear "it"

though they may not make useable power all the way up.
    butt dyno says anything over about 7800 rpm is mostly just glorious noise

cheers

Craig

9. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    You really have to laugh, how fortunate are we to have this "problem" - when should I shift my Ferrari. Oh it is glorious sound, great to be alive!!!!

Just I side note on our very special cars, if you look at dyno charts on all the NA 8 cyl engines, they continue to produce more HP the higher they go- no fall off until the limiter cuts in. Torque does decline very minimally. So unlike almost every other car the fastest way is likely to run her to as near redline as possible without hitting it. The exception would be if the car needs peak torque more the peak hp, early shift should be faster. Of course that also means more engine wear and this is coming from a guy with one damaged race engine sitting in the garage waiting for rebuild- cam variator failure @ 7000rpm- not a glorious noise.

10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #10 Kevin Rev'n, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the nice things about the gauge layout is that you can see the needle get up there even if you are looking at the road. There are not a lot of straights out here! I am kinda like Curt I don't really test the limits of my aging beauty. Smooth and in the margins is my MO.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Bounced mine off the limiter a few times, no ill effects but I don't recommend it. I do take it to 8k pretty often; I just love the sound it makes. When you shift at about 7800-8100 it grabs like someone hit your chair with a big hammer. You have to pay attention because it can cause wheel spin but it is really something. It's a great car, it isn't a crystal goblet that needs protected from everything.

12. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    +1

13. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  14. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    +1

15. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    ouch
    only up side is that you have opportunity to get "intimate" with engine greasy bits.

16. Toivonen

Toivonen Rookie

Oct 5, 2015
    Hi guys
    I've searched everywhere
    On the 355 is 8750
    How in the 360?8650 or 8750?
    How in 430?8650 or 8750?
    How in 458?9000 or plus?

Thanks in advice!

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    So you've never experienced peak horsepower or rpm?

Sad! You are missing out :(

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Extreme1 likes this.
  19. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Bump and question. I was driving my 360 the other day with an obd reader plugged in and I hit the rev limiter but the reader states that I maxed out at 8395 rpm. Has anybody ever seen a fuel cut off on the 360 that is this low? Or is it more probable that the reader is trash?

20. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
  21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    So much of the information in this very old thread is wrong. Let me set the record straight.
    The rev limiter is software controlled by the Bosch engine management system.

I have verified this in the actual software itself.

The digital rev limiter on the Ferrari 360 (all factory models) is 8600 rpm (u/min) with a hysteresis of +/- 50rpm in either direction.
    So in other words anything from 8,550 rpm to 8,650 rpm depending on conditions.

Its worth pointing out its not really worth chasing out the last few rpm on a standard car since the air flow meters (and stock muffler back pressure restrictions, unless you optioned the sports exhaust) restrict maximum power earlier than this point and power isn't still climbing. Its why the Challenge Stradale had larger air flow meters borrowed from the F430.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Trev- That would match the V12s, too, since the 575M is redlined at 7500 rpm and cut-off is at 7600 rpm.