Water dripping from under console on a 360! | FerrariChat

Water dripping from under console on a 360!

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360fla, Jul 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360fla

360fla Karting

Apr 18, 2005
    Delray Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Marc B.
    I posted this in the technical Q&A section as well!

I own an 01 360 and I took it out for the day last saturday and noticed that I have water dripping from under the center part of the console when my a/c is running. I had it brought into my mechanic, he blew out the lines to see if they were clogged, however they seemed clear. He noticed that the "air box" did not seem to fit together perfectly as the seam was a little bit off (made of 2 pieces) and that might be the cause. He also said that the fact that it has been so humid here in South Florida lately that this might be a factor. The car was originally from Indiana and had not been in this climate before.

He is going to contact Ferrari to see if there are any campaigns out on this problem.

Has anybody here had this problem before? Anybody know what the problem is and a solution??

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Marc

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I am assuming it is leaking while you are driving while sunny out? If you're driving it in the recent rain storms we have been experiencing here in S. Florida, all bets are off. My 348 had a very slight drip on my left foot if it were pouring rain.

However, if it is dripping when it is not raining out, more than likely it is dripping from the a/c condenser box drain tube. Typically, the drain tube gets clogged, then it backs up and the a/c condenser box drips into the car. I have seen them with leaves, lint and all sorts of crap in them.

I don't know about the 360, but on most cars, the seam on the a/c condenser box is horizontal, about 1/2 way between the top & bottom of the box. If this is the case, there shouldn't be that much water in there for it to drip over. That said, when he looked at the seam, was there moisture coming from the seam when the fan is on high? If so, perhaps the fan is blowing the condensation inside the box onto the seam, then dripping from the seam.

3. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    my second strad drips on my gas foot around some R hand curves... service mgr says it's the a/c... i have experienced same in lesser cars

usually only a few drips enough to startle you then stops...

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Interesting problem. I've not experienced A/C leaks on my car having driven it 34k miles so far in a wide variety of conditions. This include some pretty extreme rain storms here in the Pacific Northwest. The 360's pretty water tight. Had it out on a 3 day event in 90+ degree weather with the A/C blasting without any problems with the system.

We have a 3 day event later this month into an area which will likely take us into 110 degree weather. I'll keep you guys posted on how the A/C holds up.

5. 360fla

360fla Karting

Apr 18, 2005
    Delray Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Marc B.
    Giuseppe,

Has Ferrari not offered to fix the problem? Do they know what is causing the a/c leak? It seems now to be an interemittent problem with my car that is getting less in volume, but is still quite annoying. It is dripping right under the center part of the cosole about a foot or so in front of the shifter.

Thanks
    Marc

6. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Formula Junior

May 26, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Richard H
    I had the same problem on my 360 ................. was the condenser drain tube. Once that was blown out, it has not happened in the last two years.

7. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Got back from a wonderful 3 day event with the club. Weather on the way into Walla Walla Washington was 102 degrees according to the 360's external temperature sensor. I had the A/C blasting for 3 days and looked for any drips under the console. There were none.

8. 360fla

360fla Karting

Apr 18, 2005
    Delray Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Marc B.
    I haven't had the problem since then. It seemed to get fixed when the mechanic blew out the a/c lines.

9. JMAC360

JMAC360 Rookie

Apr 27, 2012
    Warren NJ
    Full Name:
    J Christopher
    this just happened to me as well. Have a 360 spider which I've had for only a couple of months and while out driving this weekend i noticed a bit of dripping on my left foot. no rain as we've had quite a drought here in NJ but it was really hot and had AC on most of the time. Next time i'm in the shop, i'll have then check and clear the condenser drain tube. Hopefully that will fix it. thanks for the thread.

10. bmw tuning

bmw tuning Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    Donny
    Maybe for future readers w/ this problem someone could chime in and let them know where the drain line is located and best way to blow it out?

11. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I know exactly what it is. I had the same problem (04 360 spider with 22K miles). Cool water would drip on the passengers legs when the a/c was on. The foam insulation that wraps around the cooling lines where they run under the dash had disintegrated. It's as if the insulation is faulty because it basically crumbled away into gray powdery chunks. This leaves the cold line exposed, it gets heavy condensation and drips water. Simple fast, cheap repair. After they replaced the insulation it never happened again. (BTW I know this is an old thread but it got brought back alive).

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Great question. Any answers?

13. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Since I moved to FL, my 01 coupe did this.
    I will put my car up on the lift. The drain tubes should be in the general area. Not sure if I blow compressed air up towards the condensing box is a good idea as the crap may just reclog the tubes.
    Any suggestions???

Thanks!!!!!

14. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    As mentioned, I had water dripping from under the dash as well and it was not due to clogged drain lines. It is the lines need to have new insulation foam put around them (looks like a foam noodle with a slit down the side so it can fit over the pipe). It solved the prblem completely and immediately. Cheap, fast, easy fix.

15. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    When I get back to FL, I will check out under the dash for these insulated pipes, etc... and see what is going on and how best to fix this.

Thanks!!!

16. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #16 Ky1e, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
    Bump.where do I find it? Is it easy to remove?