challenge stradale - european delivery - a story with pictures - now for sale | FerrariChat

challenge stradale - european delivery - a story with pictures - now for sale

Discussion in '360/430' started by holschu, Jan 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. holschu

holschu Rookie

May 30, 2004
    munich
    #1 holschu, Jan 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    prior to selling it, and as a 'thank you' to the community i'd like to share some pictures of one year with this very special car. although it's rather late, it may still be of interest to some.

i ordered it in may of 2004 through ferrari of beverly hills. with a tremendous help from the f-chat community, i was able to pretty much get what i wanted within reason. the blue alcantara seats, for example, the standard front air intakes replacing the mesh-like challenge ones, the black embroidered prancing horse in the seats (which otherwise would have automatically been red) and the black alcantara headliner. a custom alcantara color was not possible, nor the fire extinguisher mounted parallel to the passenger seat and definitely no preparation for shoulder harnesses. after my '99 355 berlinetta, this is the second ferrari that i went to pick-up at the factory. i would never do it any other way, and as some have pointed out in the past, the people at the factory are very accommodating and happy to go through with it. the insurance has not been a problem for me as i have a german passport and address and was able to get a reasonable quote through the german carrier PM & Partner in Bremen (01149-421-5140400 - mr. michael podszuweit). they offer full coverage on top of the liability insurance and registration which ferrari spa organizes. it seems that the european delivery will involve the dealer quiet a bit, and because it is rather unusual and few sales people have actual experience with it and thus don't offer it, i would advise to get in touch with ferrari in italy directly to clearly understand their requirements and scheduling issues. there are a couple of people in maranello that are responsible for the US market and us, their customers, and i am convinced that they will do anything possible even if you are not eric clapton and will only pick up their cheapest 430.
    whatever enthusiasm you're missing when buying it at your local dealer, the people in italy make up for it - and much more than that.
    so, on september 30th '04, we arrived in maranello. the obligatory tour was partly done by frank stephenson who also took us out to lunch at the cavallino restaurant across the factory. while taking the tour, my car was sitting under cover at the factory show room. the unveiling ceremony with a bottle of champagne followed and included a photographer, a technical person to explain the car, somebody taking care of the insurance and registration formalities and mr. christian baio responsible for the US market.
    and after that the real fun began, as we headed towards switzerland.
    while during the first delivery of the 355, both my wife and i were able to get onto the fiorano track with an instructor, this time it was occupied by the media testing the 430. check out episode FLLFL-209 of ' life in the fast lane' with steve natt on the fine living channel (finelivng.com).
    the first day driving to switzerland, we took it rather easy, leaving it in regular mode, keeping it below 5000 rpm. spending one night at the 'therme vals', the most incredible natural spring bath and spa designed by peter zumthor, the next day had one hundred tunnels and 700 miles of the swiss and german autobahn waiting for us. now, it was time to put it into race mode, which made all those tunnels even more eventful. despite free roads ahead and no speed limit at times, reaching top speed didn't seem possible, but speeds of 140 - 160 were easily reached and surprisingly comfortable.
    i dropped off my friend in frankfurt and went on to my hometown of braunschweig in northern germany. the whole family got rides over a period of a week, including my grandmother.
    on october 9th, i needed to drop off the car back in maranello. the 600 mile drive all the way into marnello was simply incredible. a never ending arcade-like experience of downshifting for traffic and accelerating, breaking, overtaking, fighting off any other car on the road and making sure that they stay or quickly move back onto the right lane. again lots of tunnels and rather frequent stops at the gas station that allowed for a walk around this beautiful machine in total admiration.
    once in marnello, i still had to mark off a few items from my list - dinner at montana, a night at the planet hotel with a view of the factory, the model car shops and finding some typical italian photo location. on the final day, i met a gentleman from ferrari's shipping company 'sima' at the hotel and followed him for about 45 minutes through the rest of northern italy to their warehouse which was filled with ferraris and maseratis waiting to get loaded into containers. three months later, the car arrived in los angeles, though without its original italian registration papers. another seven months later, duplicates arrived and the car was able to finally get registered in california. while a european delivery is priceless, it is also a very time consuming process and may leave you without your car (and sometimes papers) for a long time. at least, while waiting for the car to come back to the states, the factory will have sent out a schedoni made leather photo album with the pictures that the photographer took on that very special day in maranello.
    with literally no time to drive it due to a recent addition to the family and ongoing construction at home for a few more years, i've decided to sell it. it's as perfect as it was on september 30th 2004.
    the 5,000 mile service was completed, all creeks removed, it now has about 5,400 miles and i'm asking $190,000.
    a big thank you again to all the people of this forum for continuously providing this vast amount of information on all things ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Absolutely wonderful story, thank you very much for sharing!

3. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Thanks for sharing, holschu. I wish I was in the market. I'll pass the word around.

4. exoticalex

exoticalex Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    Full Name:
    Alex L
    Top notch story- thanks!! Good luck selling the CS. If you need ANY HELP, please email me at [email protected] I have a few friends in socal that could definatly lend a helping hand in getting that beautiful machine sold!

Best Regards!

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Very cool. Thanks for shedding light on the Euro delivery process.

6. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    nice story , nice car , nice pics , nice really

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Wow what a great story and terrific photos, good luck with the sale.

8. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Incredible story. How jealous am I! Kudos to you on the perseverance to go through with the entire ordeal. Before buying my 2005 575M, my local dealer (which happens to be owned by Ferrari NA!) told me to forget about it - I'd be better-off renting a Ferrari in Italy vs picking one up at the factory. They said it would be too much hassle.

Someday, I hope to make my trip to "Mecca" and post photos just like you!

9. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Impressive story!

Good Luck on your desire!

10. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    wow!! amazing!! If I had the money to buy it right now I would.

11. RAM_anderson

RAM_anderson Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ronald
    Do you have those pictures in high resoution? Those are great pictures. I really like the car in that color.

12. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Yes I agree! Great pictures and awesoem color!

13. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    That's the first Grigio Alloy Challenge Stradale I have seen. It's beautiful.

14. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    How cool!
    I was thinking about doing the euro-delivery on either my incoming 430 spider or 599gtb. Do you mind letting me know the costs of the insurance ? (PM me if you prefer)
    Driving at 130mph on the autobahn is equivalent in safety to 70mph on I405. Every single car on the road seems to be paying attention, and keeping right. You don't see people reading the paper, sipping a latte and chatting on the phone (or all three simultaneously) in Europe as much as here...
    I did euro delivery on my E-class and had a great time (you also get the benefit of cheaper prices with the big manufacturers). I dropped that car off in London and it took 11 weeks to get to the Pacific Northwest. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and in even less time to do it with a Ferrari!!

15. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    holschu,

I sent you a PM.

16. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Great story and pics, thanks for sharing.

17. babyruth95746

babyruth95746 Karting

Feb 11, 2007
    granite bay, ca
    Full Name:
    steve r
    great story i would be convinced to buy it from you if i had the funds! someday this dream will come true! thanks for sharing those pics are awesome!!!!

18. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Very nice CS. I am sure someone will appreciate acquiring such a well maintained CS.

19. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    That car was sold a few months ago .... where is it now?

G

20. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    That post is over a year old so I'd assume its long gone from holschu. With F-cars changing hands so frequently I wouldn't be surprised if its had two more owners. I remember seeing it at FBH for service and commenting on the unusual color especially for a CS and the lack of front challenge grills. Unusual that someone that would appreciate a CS would also insist on no challenge grills.

21. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    fantastic story and great photo collection

the 360CS is a hell of a machine

22. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    What a great writeup, i havent had that much fun reading in a while! cheers!!!

23. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I thought about buying that CS when I went with a Nero Daytona CS from Ferrari of Washington Feb 06....

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    super story, thanks for sharing :cool:

25. bjorn156

bjorn156 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2006
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    aaron
    awesome story! i'd love to purchase a ferrari straight from the factory. euro trip!