hard starting hot with CIS | FerrariChat

hard starting hot with CIS

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Fritz Ficke, Oct 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    My car ( 1981 400I ) has developed a new problom. Cold, it will start fine and then will run fine till you shut it off. Then it will not start till the next AM or after it sits for a few hours. I know for sure it is a fuel issue. When I unplug the safety switch and let the fuel pumps run for awhile, 10 to 15 seconds still no start till it cools down, Please, any ideas? many thanks in advance, Fritz

2. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    Fritz,

When you run the fuel pumps, do you run them until the sound changes?

Tony

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can you please clarify your warm restart symptom -- is it:

1. The starter motor cranks the engine over, but the engine never fires, or

2. The starter motor does not crank at all? (I realize it's probably #1, but I just want to make sure)

Does this mean that you confirmed that ignition is occurring during the no start starter motor cranking period? Pre-pressurizing the fuel system and not getting some help would make me suspect ignition.

And are you confirming that you hear the fuel pumps running with the saftey switch unplugged?

4. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Thanks for the help,
    The starter motor cranks but the engine does not fire.
    I have spark and and it will start if I squirt fuel in to the engine.
    The pumps sound the same just run.

Tony, I went to the air races for the first time last week, the most dramtic form of motor racing I have every seen!!

5. rosso tweeks

rosso tweeks Rookie

Aug 24, 2006
    SFV/CALIF
    Full Name:
    JOHN
    CIS have problems with fuel pump check valves and fuel pump circuits at harness plugs on back of fuse box. Both these problems usually are aggrevated by vehicle heat. Fuel pumps can be tested by checking fuel pressure right after shutting the pumps down,if the pressure drops emmediately , the check valve is bad. When testing make certain right and left banks are isolated. Also check plugs on back side of fuse box for any signs of excess heat at connections.

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The check valve is not the only place were pressure can bleed off. Both the warm-up regulators and the pressure regulator valves in the fuel distributors can bleed off pressure when the engine is shut off. However the fuel pump check valve is the most suspect part that usually fails.

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just trust me on this....

Roll back the relay board. When you're looking at it flipped back onto the pass. side floor there is a tall black relay at the lower right. This is the source of your trouble. If this relay isn't clicking, the car won't start. It is double the height of the other relays and has nothing to support it. It gets lose and stops making contact.

8. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #8 Fritz Ficke, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dave, I looked for the relay, My car does not have one. I checked the repair manual and it has to pictures of relay boards and does not show a picture of a board like mine with out that relay. So most be another case of the 'unique' cars we have. Thanks Fritz
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh my! Look at that!
    Anyone else have a board that looks like that on a 1982 car?

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine is an 83 and it doesn't look like that. The front side is all fuses and relays. Haven't looked at the back. Maybe that is a replacement, something that wouldn't be unusual given the propensity of the stock board connections to have problems with heat and meltdowns.

John

11. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    looks like my beta tape player!!!

12. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    OK, back on track, Dave may be right and its your starter relay, but I don't know which one it is on your board. However, I suspect your fuel accumulators, when you run the pumps (try running them a little longer), do you get a change in sound or pitch after the pumps run for a while. Are you test running the pumps with the car in its hot no start state?

It is possible that your accumulators are not holding pressure and you are getting a heat soak situation where the fuel in the part of the system under the hood is vaporizing and pushing the fuel back into the tank. The accumulators are supposed to hold pressurized fuel and prevent this from happening.

When the pumps run on an unpressurized system, the sound they make changes when the system pressure is brought up.

Thanks, Tony

13. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I jacked the car up and after I shut the engine off I listened and could her fuel hissing back through the passenger side fuel pump and I could hear the accumaltors bleed down becouse of it. I changed the fuel pump and tested the car a bunch and I am happy to report it starts every time now, hot or cold. So to all who helped and the good advice on the leak down, Thanks.
    It really is nice to be able to turn to a source for help, Fritz

14. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    Fritz,

Congrats, glad you got it fixed. Next time you are in Reno, look me up and we can have a beer in the garage and talk silly cars.

Tony

15. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal

My car developed a pb : start the engine once hot is quite impossible.
    I showed the mechanic the above Dave's text that I had printed from the web.
    As recommended by the wizard, the mechanic decided to check the black relay connection : bingo, the relay lived its own life, totally unplugged. Plug, start perfectly.

Thanks to Dave and to all the contributors.

By the way, my contribution would be :
    The car went to the workshop because of two issues : difficult to start (solved as said), lack of power.
    The latter issue has an explanation :
    Once determined the side, (left side) it turns out the Bosch fuel pump is weak.
    Throughout, this fuel pump is brand new (450$).
    When asked, the Bosch dealer said the pumps come from Czeq rep and the quality is low :b he knew of many cases where new pumps should be replaced.

Second contribution :
    Apart of Bosch, there is another maker named Pierburg that provides with fuel pumps. The ref is 7.21659.72.0.
    I bought one, it works well. A difference is that Pierburg are fitted with a fuel filter, which can get dirty and reduces the fuel pressure. Bosch do not have such filters.
    On both sides of the car, there are filters down the way to the engine, so the Pierburg filter might be useless.

Olivier

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :D :D

My pleasure, glad you got it fixed.

17. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    My 83 has essentially the same setup as my ex-TR (not good news), which is nothing like the pic shows.

18. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I talked to the PO's mechanic and he said it was an updated/replacement board. Learn stuff all the time.

19. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Is this the same for a 1984 car?

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not if you have push-in fuses which I believe you do.

21. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #21 Jasonberkeley, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You can plainly see you don't have the relay I mentioned.

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sorry by the way. On a S1 car its almost always that relay which makes it pretty easy. On an S2 car it can be a number of things but it is still likely related to a fuel dump..

24. Greenfield

Greenfield Rookie

Apr 14, 2021
    Rickmansworth Hertfordshire UK
    Full Name:
    Robert

25. Greenfield

Greenfield Rookie

Apr 14, 2021
    Rickmansworth Hertfordshire UK
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The first picture is the ‘79-82 (early fuse box). Essentially the same as fitted to carburettor cars with an additional few relays (4x) set off to the right. This sub assembly is exclusively for the K-jet system. 2x fuel pumps 1x start control, Red stripe and one for warm up system.
    The later fuse box uses the multi-plug system and not quite as robust under heavy loads…