New Project. 4.56GT | FerrariChat

New Project. 4.56GT

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Andrew-400i, Nov 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    As promised, I said I would post images and information when this project commenced. For those who did now know about it, It will cover the building of a 400 with 456 mechanicals/suspension/interior etc etc.

I have basically decided to post information (text) in a thread, and do the same with a blog, but with a whole heap of images etc etc. I just think this is a lot easier to maintain and use. I will try to update the blog / thread weekly until the 456GT donor vehicle arrives in Australia. Until then, we have plenty to keep us occupied, such as a 400i GT, and our newest acquisition, a 365 GT4 2+2.

I am yet to see the 365 or the 400 shell (As It arrived at Dad's house today, but I will be going to see it on Monday).

Most of you will also have seen pics of our 400i in a few other threads on here.

The link for the blog is http://users.tpg.com.au/atrampus/blog/

If anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to post them on either the blog page itself, or on the forum. I will be happy to reply to anyone!

The main purpose of this is to have a little fun, and boost my own knowledge on this subject, and maybe help a few others :)

Andrew :)

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Awesome! I look forward to this!

3. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #3 Andrew-400i, Nov 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I subscribed to the forum today, so I will also post the pics / information here as I said I would. This might also help fellow f-chatters in the future, if they stumble across the thread.

I will also maintain the blog, which will make it much easier for members to follow the progress of the project, and allow non-members of f-chat to view pictures etc etc.

On Monday I will be going to see the 400 body shell, aswell as our new 365 GT4 2+2. I will post some pics of these, aswell as our 400i GT and 400A.

Until then, here are some pictures of our crashed 456GT Donor car, as supplied by our broker in the UK.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow, welcome to the masochist club. :D

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    more, more. and about the 365, since i have one under a major complete overhaul

6. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #6 Andrew-400i, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Heres the next Installment, as Promised.

A little history on both cars.

Red 400:
    Very little known, previous owner purchased the car with no engine, or gearbox. He planned to *gasp* put a small block chev or something similar in it. The car was advertised for sale, but did not sell. So to make the world's population of 400's lesser, the car was parted out, and we eventually bought the body shell. It is absolutely immaculate for the age of it, and even the paintwork is acceptable. It has very little rust, only being on the doors inner and outer skins (easily fixed).

I was in a bit of a rush today, and didn't take that many photos. If any members have any requests for specific photos, I will be more than happy to provide you with them.

In the pics you will notice the 365 GT4 2+2, our black 400A parts car, and If you look closely enough, our 400GT under the car-cover in the garage.

7. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    Good stuff, will be interesting to see how it turns out

8. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thankyou for your kind words James!

I'm massively excited to see how It will turn out, but I'm almost certain it will turn out to of a high degree. Dad has worked around race cars for nearly all his life, and is a mechanical and electrical engineer. I'm very mindful of attention to detail, and hate things being done for the sake to get them done; If its not perfect, I wont do it, and we both feel the same way with this project.

We're still deciding what to do, but at this stage we will probably just build it using stock 456 components. Dad wants to get a 512TR next, or a F355, so once all that is done, we will probally pull 4.56GT back off the road, for another full rebuild.

I have a rough idea in my head about how I want it to turn out, and what I want in it, and what kind of performance figures I expect out of it etc. I'm not really concerned about the total cost being spent on this car, because it will never be sold, Dad has told me he will pass it on to me, and I doubt that I will ever sell it; especially after we will have put so much effort, blood, sweat and tears into it.

The 456GT donor car arrives in the UK tomorrow (hopefully!), and then we will delve into the laws etc (Australia has very tight import restrictions regarding vehicle importation). Bodywork, and mechanicals have to come in two separate containers, so we will probably just get the engine and gearbox removed, and push the complete car in a 20ft container so we can strip it ourselves in Australia. We will just put the engine and gearbox in the next available container that our broker has coming to Australia.

Very exciting times ahead!

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    How extensively will you have to modify the engine compartment to make the 456 engine and tranny fit in? Are they close to the 400 dimensions in size or will you need radical surgery to make it fit?

John

10. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    To be quiet honest, I'm almost certian that they are very similar in dimensions. If the 456GT's engine is bigger, it can always be made to fit! I don't think it would be that hard to do, as I have seen another member on here successfully install 550m running gear into his shortened 365 GT4!

The 456GT arrives on Friday now (it changes daily!), and I should have some more photos of that by the end of the week.

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  12. Tomax

Tomax Karting

Apr 27, 2004
    Obviously too wrapped up in the election hype to post.

13. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    As Tomax suggested, I've been spending many a sleepless night being consumed by the forthcoming election... *yeah right*

Not much has been happening regarding the 4.56GT Project. We have just been cleaning up the 400 body shell, and have gotten our 365 GT4 2+2 running.

The 456GT donor car has FINALLY arrived in the UK to be stripped, and should be in Australia within 6 weeks or so.

We will have the 400 body shell on a auto-twirler shortly, and then it should be full steam ahead!

I will post some pics of the 456GT being stripped when I receive them from my broker in the UK.

14. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Not much really for this update. I will get some pictures asap.

We have begun to strip the 400's body shell, and have removed all side glass, the windscreen, and made a mess of the rear windscreen. My advice to anyone: DO NOT REMOVE the rear screen yourself; get a professional out to do it. Lucky I have a spare rear screen on the black parts car.

Apart from that, not much else is happening. We should have the car completely stripped within a few weeks, and on a auto-twirler.

The 456GT donor car has arrived at our brokers workshop, and he has informed us that they have commenced stripping of the car. Fingers crossed it will be done shortly, and we will have the parts here within the new year.

I will post some pics next week once the panels are off the 400.

15. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    cant wait for the pics!@!

16. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Very cool project!!! I read the blog and these posts, but can't tell for sure: You are using running gear and interior from a wrecked 456, and parts from a 365 GT4 2+2, 400A and a 400GT to make one car? In essence, using the parts from 4 cars to create 1?

It should be a wonderful car when you finish! Am looking forward to seeing more pictures and progress ;)

David

17. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Well almost. Using the Interior / Running Gear / Suspension (part of) from a Wrecked 456. Using Parts from a 400A, and all going into said 400 bodyshell. 400A parts car has excessive rust, so it make good economic sense to source a (virtually) rust-free body shell.

We may be selling our RHD 400GT and 365GT4 2+2. Our broker in the UK has a customer who wants a 400 for himself, and rather than import one from there, he can have a car that is already landed in AU.

We will replace the car with a 512TR; no point having 3 x 365/400 series cars!

I will snap some pics on Monday.

18. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    What an ambitious project.
    What made you want to do this? Was it serendipity or was this a plan.
    Either way I hope the result is all you expect and am looking forward to watching your progress.
    My hat's off to you

19. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, It was just a huge coincidence. The original plan was to re-body the Black 400A, to be my own weekend toy / occasional daily driver. A few weeks after we purchased the red 400 body shell in the UK, our broker informed us he had found a damaged 456GT in the Czech Republic.

It will certainly be something unique once finished. I've seen this often done (old car, new mechanicals etc) with American/Brit cars. Have only seen it done to one other Ferrari.

20. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I think we are all very much looking forward to more information and progress on this project.

I love the 400 and have been thinking of something like this for years, but always thought to use the stock engine, modify it and use a newer transmission with a custom suspension setup - I think your idea is much better ;)

21. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Update:

The 456 will HOPEFULLY be leaving the UK this coming week. Nothing ever goes to plan when it comes to cars! I am hopeful we will have the bits in 6 weeks, so work can commence.

We have stripped the 400 body shell of all its glass (except for the rear screen, which is a real b*tch to get out!).

I will be going to do a little work on Monday, and may take all hanging panels off it, and build some *much* taller stands for the car to sit up on.

Other than that, I have been working on our 365GT/4, and finalising all suspension components for the 400GT. I will have some photos for members in the next few days.

I am really looking forward to getting my hot little hands on a 5.5L V12, and 6sp transaxle, and all other associated components.

22. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Any Updates on this project?

23. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Bump

Anyone have details?

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I think I read that Andrew was letting his father continue this one and moving on to something else........it seems like it was in a PM I deleted about an hour ago while cleaning out my nearly over-full mailbox.

25. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    456 was supposed to be in our driveway on Tuesday. It apparently arrived at Melbourne on Tuesday. It should be in our garage next week.

We are moving houses shortly, so we will not be doing much work on the car until we move.

I will update with some details once the car arrives.