Front brake calipers | FerrariChat

Front brake calipers

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by moserpe, Jan 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    I'm about to overhaul the front brake calipers. Over many decades I was used to get the repair set for ATE brake systems. Now the supplier tells me that they don't sell them anymore for safety reasons. They offer the complete overhaul of the calipers only, which I have already done (with the exception of the miossing new rubber parts). Since it was mentioned in this forum that the brake pads are identical with those of the contemporary BMW 7 series, I have tried to get the repair sets from there. BMW does sell them without any hesitations! However the piston dia. of the BMW 745 is 40mm only instead of 42mm as used in the 400i 1983.
    Has any of the Fchatters an idea which other car could have ATE 42mm calipers? Probably one could use four repair sets from a 2-piston caliper if Ferrari was the only one using this size with 4 pistons.
    Any advice or suggestion about a source for the correct repair sets (preferably in Europe) would be very much appreciated.

Peter

2. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Just before I had my ATE calipers re-built proffessionally a few months back, I found ATE.com in Europe only. They have all the parts you desire..If I had lived in Europe at the time, I would have done them myself..good luck..Jacques

3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Can you still get the dust shields for the outboard end of the pistons? Do F-dealers at least sell them? I will be do for a set soon.
    Ken

4. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    Hi Ken,

The dust shields are the minimum I need, although I wish to replace the square seal rings as well. but so far i could find neither of them (They do usually come as a set). I will report here how the case will eventually be solved. I did not check with Eurospares yet, as the DHL delivery plus customs cost will make it as expensive as the caliper overhaul by th local brake shop.

Peter

5. fez1238

fez1238 Karting

Sep 5, 2007
    I believe that the calipers are the same as on the Testarossa. Worth investigating. Hope this helps

Andrew

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Although the inner caliper body assy.'s appear to be the same, there is a difference between the 400i's & Testarossa's outer body assy.'s in that the 400i has dual feed fluid lines as opposed to the single feed Testarossa's. Moreover, specific part #s are rendered for the 400i body parts whereas the Testarossa's are given the plain old ATE, so not able to verify via part # comparison. Obviously, this warrants a phone call which leads me to.......
    I've on several occasions e-mailed Eurospares for parts requests & have received NO replies. I figured that with e-mail, they could check them at their leisure when they have free time, and avoid interrupting them (via phone calls) when they're on a roll doing whatever. I guess if someone's manning the phone full time, that's one thing. But in this day in age of multi-tasking, those blasted phones can be a real pain in the neck. E-mail removes all the hassles, pulls all the stops! I got tired of attempting to reach them that I resorted to letting Dennis McCann handle my orders and guess what? Norma hasn't received call-backs from Eurospares after several attempts either---What is with them?? McCann's going to look elsewhere.
    Everybody advertises 80,000 parts in stock but 'none' for us 400 owners!! I'm talking Real parts, not oil filters!

7. Piston.Broke

Piston.Broke Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi Peter.

I have a very early (1979) 400i which has 4 piston 42mm calipers on the front.
    I believe that they were fitted from new.
    Were you able to ascertain what brake seal kit will fit the 400i (42mm) caliper?
    I have had no joy in finding anything else that these 4 piston (42mm) calipers were fitted to. Any advice you may have will help!

Cheers !

Piston.Broke

8. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    Good morning,

The solution for the front calipers was the following repair set from ATE:
    2M4-42, part No.95691531.
    I got it from a friend who is running a worksop for old Mercedes-Benz cars. However i did not ask for which car it was originally intended. As far as i can remember, i was in need of four repair sets altogether because it's designed for 2-piston calipers only. I remember, that i had to make a minor modification to the retainer for the dust cover.

Some time later i have rebuilt the rear brakes with the following ATE repair set:
    250044, part No. 13.0441-3401.2
    This one was available again from the shop that has previously refused to sell those for the front "for safety reasons". Change of policy or simple inconsistency?

Peter

9. Piston.Broke

Piston.Broke Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks Peter,

Great info.
    Did you ever determine if the 4 piston, 42mm calipers as fitted to the front were a factory fitment or were they a later replacement/upgrade?

Cheers !

Rick.

10. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    #10 moserpe, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Rick,

At least for the 400i (1983) the front and rear calipers with 4 pistons each are standard (see attachment)

Kind regards

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #11 Arvid, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Hi Rick,

I know I read somewhere that the late series 400i's had 42mm calipers but I can't find it. Your car was not a late series so my guess is that they've once been swapped for better brake feel.

I suspected that the 4 pot 42's might use the same parts as the 2 pot 42's. I still think that's the parts you need. At least that is what I'd opt for :)

Arvid

12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    This ATE caliper was used on many BMW's of the same era. The difference is that Ferrari added a spacer for the vented discs. I believe the calipers may actually be on BMW 2002. See if they are 4-pot and they may be right.

When I bought specialty pads for the front they sent me BMW pads that were too thick but otherwise identical because the BMW did not have vented discs.

I will try to check my notes and let you know which BMW it was from.
    Ken

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  14. Piston.Broke

Piston.Broke Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi all.

Just a final note to advise the mystery of the 4 piston ATE 42mm brake calipers.

As stated previously, my 1979 400i has 42mm brake pistons on the front brakes (and not the 40mm pistons as is usually the case).

I contacted ATE and they confirmed that some 400i were indeed fitted (from new) with the 4 piston 42mm calipers. It would appear that these calipers may have been a very small run and specific kits for these bigger brakes are no longer available.

Note that Moserpe previously advised that "The solution for the front calipers was the following repair set from ATE: 2M4-42, part No.95691531".

I just wanted to let our members know that when looking at a front brake caliper rebuild, be aware that some cars may be fitted (from new) with 4 piston 42mm as against the normal 40mm.

(I understand that the Testarossa from the same period also had 42mm brake caliper pistons but that the calipers are not the same as the 42mm calipers fitted to some 400i).

Hope this info may help.

Cheers !

Piston.broke

15. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Don't know if I ll need it one day but in any case, thank you for sharing!

16. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Hi everyone, Im rebuilding front calipers for a 1979 400GT that is 42mm ext diameter. I was unable to find the repair kit, where did you guys found it
    Regards
    Andres

17. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    I found this part but I dont know if it is the correct

If you guys know the part number for the 42mm piston I will appreciste it

I undestand that must start 13.0441 and then the 42 is the piston diameter, but the 2 final numbers are a mistery for me

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Andres,

There have been a few threads on the brakes and so take a look at these, as the seal kits from BMW's, etc of the same era are applicable.

Here are some threads that you might find helpful:

http://erwin400.blogspot.com/2013/11/400-maintenance-brakes-overhauling.html

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/rebuild-rear-brake-calipers.449537/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/55027-brakes.519877/

Also, Superformance sells various bits for the brakes as well, but are a bit pricey:

https://www.superformance.co.uk/v12/brakes.html

Cheers,

Sam

19. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Hi Sam thks for your reply, all the liks has reference to 40mm diameter pistones

What I need is where to buy a 42mm diameter service kit or the part number for ATE service kit

Regards

Andres