Red rear fog lights in rear bumper | FerrariChat

Red rear fog lights in rear bumper

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Who's up to speed on the red rear fog lights on1980 400i ser. 1..I'm not quite sure which switch brings them into play even though they are most certainly ilgegal in the U.S...just thought I'd ask as I'm about to clean the lens inside and out..they're probably virgin as the screws look like the'd like to break off right at the head..thanks in advance for any info..Jacques

2. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Fog lights are perfectly legal. My wife has such lights on her '08 Cayenne. Of course, use them only under foggy conditions!

3. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't think she would have REAR fog lights...that is what he is talking about I think... I think, therefore I am...no wait that is something else...

James
    Austin, TX

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Jacques,
    I believe that the switch is located in the center console area, 2nd from right below manual shifter or 2nd from right below ashtray on the auto. The yellow indicator light is located on the lower area of the tach (2nd from the left). Rear fogs will only work when your headlights are on. Those lenses are a little tricky to remove & install/clearences are tight between lens, bumper, & reflector.
    Bruce

5. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thank you Bruce, for your POLITE response to my simple inquiry..I appreciate the absence of sarcasm in your reply...at least you knew the answer..and ettiquette..Jacques.

6. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    #6 WilyB, Feb 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A 1980 400i would not have rear fog lights.
    They weren't offered until the series 2 cars.

8. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    How about that! I have never seen that, but we don't get a lot of fog around here either. Never read about that being the case either, you know normally you will see some sort of reference to something along those lines in a magazine article. I never have. Do they both come on together. In other words when you turn on the front fog does the rear automatically come on too? My Euro GTS has a switch for front and a switch for rear. None of my other 928's have the rear fog at all!

Thanks for teaching me something new today! That is great to know!

James

9. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    James.

It is Front only, or, if you choose so, Front and Rear. Besides Porsches, you have BMWs, Volvos etc.

The really ennoying part are those college professors kind of guys in Volvo with the fog lights on on a clear night. It's kind of kill your night vision.

Please Jacques, remember: no fog, no rear fog lights on!

10. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You know, now that I think about it I have seen cars of late where it just looked like a regular plain old tail light that was WAY TO BRIGHT, but the times I have seen it they were on newish cars that I would have (and did) thought were to new to have had a bulb replacement. As it turns out, just idiot drivers! I had no idea!

Thanks so much for getting me up to speed on this one!

James

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Anytime Jacques!

Dave, somewhere in the series 1 manual (have to look it up again) it shows rear fog lights as an option, and it does appear in the wiring diagram & inside controls illustration but rather vague on description. Bruce

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

James, only if the fog light switch is activated before you turn on the headlights will the fogs come on @ same time. Bruce

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    The rear fogs use a 21w bulb (same intensity as the stoplight on the tail) & has lens like a taillight (not a focusing type for aiming use).

14. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Bruce,

Great work! Thanks for all that info. I wonder what other cars do that where if you turn on fog button first then turn on head light you get both vs. turn on lights then activate fogs just to get fronts???

James

15. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

No idea James, kinda discovered this trying to get them to work as the manual says zilch/notta @ operation. B

16. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    #16 Schumi, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 1982 Series I has them and I believe they are original.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Those are not factory installed lights. In addition the ones talked about originally are in the bumper itself.

18. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    You know more about it than I, but where did you read/see that fact as I would like to have such a detailed book/source?

Posted from Ferrarichat.com App for Android

19. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I had assumed that all 400's were fitted with fog lamps in the bumper but it looks like I was wrong. They are fitted to my 1978 car, were these an option ?

20. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    My 1980 (1979 build) # 28903 has red fog lights built into the rear black bumpers.. if this sheds any light on the subject...Did I actually say that??. Jacques

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have a factory Ferrari parts book, a factory Pinninfarina parts book, and original factory brochures from both series 1 and series 2 cars. They are pretty cool to look through. They come up for sale now and then, keep your eyes open for them.

22. JonathanElstein

JonathanElstein Karting

Oct 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Elstein
    I'd be very interested in the answer to this question as well. I'm thinking of buying a 1979 car (carb model) which has the fog lamps inset into the rear bumper. Some sources suggest that this wasn't introduced until 1982 so it would be helpful to know if any earlier cars have them (as opposed to a replacement bumper being fitted later, e.g. following an accident).

Thanks!

Jonathan

23. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi Jonathan,

UK carb cars were not fitted with fog lamps inset into the rear bumper, and the sources are correct that this wasn't the case until the Series 2 injected cars that were launched in the UK in October 1982. From late 1980, Series 1 injected cars had twin fog lamps fitted below the rear bumper to comply with new British legislation.

I expect some owners had fog lamps retro fitted following the new legislation, so I woudn't simply assume that it was necessarily a result of a new bumper being fitted following accident damage.

I think I know the car you are referring to, if you PM me I can check my register and let you know what I have on it.

David