Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 365 GT4 2+2/400/412

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkprlz View Post
Anyone notice in Steve's pic that he posted that the driver's side intake conveyor is indented & the other isn't? I've noticed the indented ones on the 412's & figured that was part of the FI remapping /air flow dynamics improvement to bring the HP back to 340. Was it because one was replaced or did Maranello release it that way on this particular car?
Matter of fact, I discovered that I had a vacuum leak where the vacuum valve return hose connects to the underside of the driver's side conveyor (probably from someone yanking the conveyor off unaware of it). I saw that Eurospares had 'new' ones in stock for each side so I ordered a pair only to receive a new 'indented' one for the driver's side & a used 'unindented' for the other side. I don't know, it doesn't seem or look right that way.
I'll bet a really fouled air filter would cause such a dent to become permanent.
Greg
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Steve Magnusson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiler View Post
...It has the DC Johnson system...
Did you ever find an added frequency valve and/or any modified plumbing?

Here's a 412 engine with the Lambda modification -- not as obvious, but you can still see the (added) FV mounted between the forwardmost oil filter and the alternator:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 412 engine with Lambda modification.jpg (86.0 KB, 254 views)

Last edited by Steve Magnusson; 04-28-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Magnusson View Post
Did you ever find an added frequency valve and/or modified plumbing?
Not yet.
Vernon Johnson, D.C.'s son, tells me via e-mail that the Johnson box works with the existing plumbing as a helper.
The Johnson box was one of the ever more sophistocated items I investigated as a possible cause for my vapor lock issue.
Greg

Last edited by Highmiler; 04-28-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Clairity
Old 04-28-2012, 02:37 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmiler View Post
...that the Johnson box works with the existing plumbing as a helper...
I'm going to have to remain a skeptic as there is nothing "electrial" in the stock K-Jet without Lambda system that could be connected to the Johnson box (and classify your car as maybe once as having been modified, but now back to stock unless you can find something added, like a FV, that converts an electrical signal to a hydraulic physical action).
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Bruce
What are the performance / other advantages to go the Lambda route & risk the fuss that could come w/it? My technical sources are @ another location & out of reach for a week.
Also, the FV looks to be an easy conversion, but what about the J-box? It's connections, etc.?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:57 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

AFAIK, no performance advantage -- just needed to comply with US importation.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Hmmm,...I've heard of adding cats sometimes (but not all shops) & once in a while air pumps, unleaded fuel stickers & restrictors in the filler tube, but not Lambda. Side markers & box steel reinforced bumpers is all that appeared to have federalized mine. Just knocking down the CO mixture (w/o throwing the HC's & NO's off the charts) was what it took to pass was how I thought they got them through. I don't know if Lambda is a can of worms I'd want to throw into the mix. I guess you were @ the mercy of the fed. shops, some more stringent than others.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Fini

Ya know fellas, all this wisdom will be seen by no one under the current thread.
Maybe someone ought to start a new thread with some of this one's latest content.
Over...
Greg
Old 04-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Aaw, you know...this stuff just happens. I thought I titled a response in this thread 'no hijacking intended' but I guess that was another one.
You know, if all of us were locked up in a room somewhere, we wouldn't get any sleep for weeks! lol
Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Dave
My Garage
No sleep and more knowledge shared than anyone would believe. Let's face it our little group that meets here knows more about these cars than anyone.
^^^Circle S Black Label^^^ Must be their new "Snobbiolo" variety.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:14 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkprlz View Post
...I've heard of adding cats sometimes (but not all shops) & once in a while air pumps, unleaded fuel stickers & restrictors in the filler tube, but not Lambda...
Just speculating, but it could be a transitional sort of thing depending on the (perceived) model year of the imported vehicle since the US F models went from K-Jet without Lambda in 1983 to K-Jet with Lambda in 1984. I know this drove people a little crazy when a 1983 euro 308QV could stay without Lambda when imported to the US, but a 1984 euro 308QV had to be with Lambda -- even though there is no difference at all between a 1983 & 1984 euro 308QV -- maybe the same sort of situation for 400i existed (e.g., both Greg's 400i and 50679 seem to be classified as 1984 so they needed to be with Lambda)...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

I don't ever recall seeing Lambda on the 412's, so no transitional thing. I think these 2 cars might be isolated cases.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

The photo in post #102 shows a 412 modified with Lambda -- but agree that probably most cars, if ever modified, have been put back to stock...
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Dah, it's only been 2 days & I lost track of that one!
How 'bout this for getting back on track:
A little less than 5 days on this go round, looks like 2 bidders are the main contenders...unless another is sitting back w/a stop watch to key in that winning bid @ the last second (providing it meets reserve).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bid Timeline.jpg (49.9 KB, 206 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Yes, it has been great. I have been driving this car daily and I am enjoying it immensely, but I now have a matching pair of 400GT's and I have just picked up a 365GT2+2 as well as my others so something has got to go. I am out of space in my garages. You know I never noticed that the two air intake tubes don't match, but now that you have brought it to my attention it will bug me until I switch one of them out for a matching piece. (Thanks for that... ;-) ) If I am reading this thread correctly the flat top version is correct for my car, right? Is there any discernible difference in running or settings between the two styles, and does anybody have a spare so that I can make them match? BTW I am still looking for a 365GT4 5 speed carb car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstacy View Post
well now isn't THAT interesting..............
Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrarinut View Post
...I now have a matching pair of 400GT's and I have just picked up a 365GT2+2 as well as my others so something has got to go...
Whew,...thought you were trying to corner the market.

Quote:
...the flat top version is correct for my car, right? Is there any discernible difference in running...
The flat versions were on the Series 1 & 2 400i's & somewhere late in 84 I noticed that they began to switch to the indented version but would also notice some 412's w/flat ones (always thought it was because they would use whatever that was laying around until they used them up). I kind of thought that the indented ones were part of the redressing of the retrograde taken with the advent of fuel injection, improving air flow dynamics from the sensor plate to the intake plenum. That coupled with an increased bore of 1mm, up'd compression from 8.8 to 9.6, and remapped fuel injection brought HP ratings back up to 340 (the original rating of the early 400 carb'd. versions).
Eurospares sent me a replacement left side intake conveyor of the flat top variety, & I need an indented one. PM me if interested in swapping your indented one for this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver's side Conveyor.jpg (60.3 KB, 169 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Sam Saprunoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsaprunoff View Post
Good day All,

Just documenting these cars, as they come up...

Cheers,

Sam

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferra...item2c64e09889

84 Ferrari 400i 5 Speed
Color: Grey Exterior with red Interior
Mileage: 74200 miles
VIN: ZFFEB07000050679
Chassis: 50679
Reserve Auction: $11700.00 USD (14 bids 8 Days remaining)
Good day All,

I am pretty sure that this same car is also on listed AutoTrader (Canada) with an asking price of $32000 CAN:

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Ferrari/...o/19_5258821_/

Cheers,

Sam
Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Dave
My Garage
Is there ANY publication this car HASN'T been listed in?
^^^Circle S Black Label^^^ Must be their new "Snobbiolo" variety.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Alastair Houston
Quote:
Yes, it has been great. I have been driving this car daily and I am enjoying it immensely, but I now have a matching pair of 400GT's and I have just picked up a 365GT2+2 as well as my others so something has got to go. I am out of space in my garages. You know I never noticed that the two air intake tubes don't match, but now that you have brought it to my attention it will bug me until I switch one of them out for a matching piece. (Thanks for that... ;-) ) If I am reading this thread correctly the flat top version is correct for my car, right? Is there any discernible difference in running or settings between the two styles, and does anybody have a spare so that I can make them match? BTW I am still looking for a 365GT4 5 speed carb car...
That must mean that you are the single biggest collector of 400 series on the planet! I thought I was doing well with one!
Do you have a manual 400GT?
You must be mad and you must have lots of dough and you must have taste.
Alastair
Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

400GT

Hi Alastair, I think I might have become the largest 400 collector if I had bought the black/black car as well, and I almost did, but in a fit of madness I didn't. I still regret it. You are certainly doing well with one 400. In my books people who appreciate the 400 for its smooth powerful V12, high speed dynamics, and understated good looks are on the right track. Yes both of my 400's are 400GT's with the 5 speed manual transmission. The serial number plate is marked 400GT while the chassis plate is marked 400i. In my opinion the manual shift completely transforms the car. I love to rev it up through the gears. As far as "lots of dough" that's not me, but thanks for "taste" and as far as "mad" I suppose I must be... ;-)

Still looking for a blue 365GT4 2+2 manual carb car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairhouston View Post
That must mean that you are the single biggest collector of 400 series on the planet! I thought I was doing well with one!
Do you have a manual 400GT?
You must be mad and you must have lots of dough and you must have taste.
Alastair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cropped Copy of Picture 045.jpg (34.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Cropped Copy of Picture 314.jpg (53.9 KB, 138 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads