Steering Gear Adjustment | FerrariChat

Steering Gear Adjustment

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, Jan 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I have a slight but annoying play in my steering gear. It is clearly in the steering gear and not in steering column u-joint, or tie rods. I appear to have taken up fully on the adjustment not, this helped last year to lessen the play but I would still like to reduce it further. The adjustment not seems to have about 6 full turns from full in to full out. It will not go further in either direction. I am hesitant to pull the cover off the gear unit since there is no assembly drawing in the parts manual; there is just one part number for the unit.

Has anyone delved deeper into the steering gear? Success or more trouble? What is the source of these unit? Can they be serviced?

I hope to have the usual good response from this forum; bring it on!
    Ken

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  3. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Any ideas on the source of the steering gear? Surely for the low production of 400's this had to come from some other car.
    Ken

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    It would be great if we could compile a list of information on things like that.

5. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The steering box is a ZF unit. They will rebuild it for around $800.

I had the same problem. I ran the adjustment all the way in and still had play.
    The play went away after I changed the filter in the bottom on the power steering reservoir. I think it was a BMW part.
    Also, I greased the idler which seemed to be bone dry.

Now it works fine.

Years ago, I opened a steering box. I will never do that again.

6. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Mark
    Thanks for input. I am not sure why the filter would help the play seen with the engine not running but it is an easy thing to do and probably a good idea in any case. It's now on my to-do list.

I'll check the idler too as I will be down in that vicinity this weekend pulling the lower alternator to change its brushes and regulator. (also a cheap and easy thing to do) If that helps it means the steering effort goes down enough not to show the 'play' in the gearbox; so it is a win-win.

I get the message about opening the box!! It is so tempting with those 4 bolts on top.

Does ZF have a rebuild facility in the US? I will take a picture of the unit and see what my local BMW parts guy has to say. (In the past they found the mirror adjust switch.)
    Ken

7. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Does ZF have a rebuild facility in the US?

Somewhere in the mid west. I'll look for the info.

8. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I just had my steering box rebuilt by a local shop. Everything was working fine but the box leaked a fair amount and since the suspension was apart I figured now was the time. You should have seen me walking into all of these 'expert' shops in the Boston area only to have them shake their head and send me right back out the door. Finally, Skipper at LFCG in Waltham, MA took a shot at it. There are only a few seals but it took a while for the shop to source them at a cost of about $50. $285 in labor (and several months) and I received a clean, painted steering box that won't leak. If you need help send me a PM or contact LFCG

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Do you have the parts list? If so please post if here for future reference, thx.

10. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Bruce
    Did you do anything about play in the steering? How much adjustment did you have left? Mine never leaked only ran out of adjustment as this old thread indicates.
    Ken
    p.s. My 400 is up and running fine again.

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Ahhh, maybe you mean to direct this to Christian :confused:
    Bruce

12. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007