Rubber suspension component replacements. | FerrariChat

Rubber suspension component replacements.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by uzz32soarer, Jun 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Hi guys,

I've been using a local company down here in Oz who have produced suspension bushes for my Lexus sc400 coupes for a few years now. Toyota only sell complete arms so the local manufacturer produced a series of exact replica suspension bushes from the various samples provided, right down to the rubber composition and Duo hardness. Having done 50 000kms on the replacements under a variety of conditions I can certainly attest to the quality. Hundreds of Aussie Lexus coupes have been fitted with the replacement bushes, particularly the lower front control arms which cop a real flogging. Even Toyota dealers are buying them now, knowing that the parent company in Japan can only sell the entire arms!

So this got me to thinking recently about replacement bushes for my Testarossa and other models in the Ferrari line up. When I started looking at the prices from either UK or USA supliers, I near fell off the chair. Some of the suspension bushes run $90 USD per bush and in many cases 4 and even 8 are required. We are talking some serious money to look after your suspension, sway bar linkages and shocker bushes.

Now those of us driving older cars like my Testarossa or any of the 365 / 400 series cars are sitting in 20+ year old cars which have been pretty well maintained, regular belt services and the like, but how many blokes on here have changed their suspension bushes?

20+ years of pounding the pavement in all sorts of climatic extremes has to have taken it's toll. Some of these bushes must be either fractured or rock hard by now. I can only imagine what the cars would feel like with nice new, pliable rubbers under them!

So rather than being bent over by the F Pimp, or paying the inflated prices offered by USA or UK parts suppliers (because they get reamed by Ferrari) I wonder how many of you would be interested if suspension kits were offered for the various models and these included all of the required bushes.

Ie: 400i front suspension kit would include upper and lower wishbone bushes. Upper and lower shocker mount bushes would be in another kit, and sway bar mount rubbers and linkage bushes would be in a third kit. Ditto for the rear of the car.

Given what I've seen, I believe that I could offer these kits for a fraction of the cost of genuine factory bushes which; may or may not; have been sitting in their pretty yellow boxes for years on some dormant shelf in a warehouse in Italy or the UK.

Yes there are a few aftermarket manufacturers offering poly bushes to replace some of our suspension components, but in my experience I've always found poly bushes to be far too hard and transmit unnessesary harshness and noise back through the vehicle. Nothing compares to the rubber bushes as fitted from the factory on day one.

Creatng the bushes is not a simple issue. Samples must be provided, castings made to create the bush 'shells', tests and analysis needs to be performed to determine the factory composition and Duo ratings, and then the bushes must be tested. This takes time and cash, so before I commit to this I need to ask how you guys as the owners, would feel about a quality product such as this being available for your cars. I need to gauge an expression of interest for want of a better term.

If you are like me, then you haven't considered doing your bushes due to the cost of the replacement factory items, but we all must consider how old, hard and tired these components must be now, and how great our cars could be if they were replaced.

Please put up a post with your opinions and your own experiences with crook bushes.

2. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Robert..I just read your post about replacement bushings..I have been trying to get up the strength to bite the bullet for bushings for my 1980 400i Series 1 (w/o auto-leveling), but the price of the bushing is a real "Horse Pill"(pun intended). I truly believe that you have hit the Bull's Eye on this subject.I'm in Matey. P.M. me and we'll chat further,and good luck..Jacques.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Superformance in the UK has expressed interest in making a kit if someone takes the measurements. I haven't torn down the suspension on my 365 to do so yet, but I am planning on taking them up on the offer.

4. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Yeah, I checked out their site relative to the Testarossa and they only do a shocker bush and at £52.00 per bush I think that's ridiculous. They shouldn't cost more than maybe $30 - $35 USD at most. It's for this reason that I'm looking at producing them.

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Robert
    The upper and lower wishbone bushings are very different on a 400i and earlier models.

First, the upper bushing is made up of five or six pieces and only one or two of those actually wear. The only rubber parts are dust seals on the end. The wear parts are not that expensive.

The lower bushings on the other hand are your typical metal/rubber/metal type bush plus they have washers on the sides. They do wear due to the weight of our cars. It would be good to have these at a more reasonable cost. However, I would not want the replacement to be an exact duplicate or the originals! The originals are not really made that well. The end plates (washers) are held on by flaring the ends of the center tube. It is not that difficult to pop off one of those washers during installation and the bushing is then useless. Will your guy in Oz give you a replacement for free because of your poor installation procedure? My local F-dealer did. The end washers should be held on more securely in a new design.

The shock bushing are a real good candidate for after market. The have inner and outer metal sleeves with rubber in between. Bolt hole (inner sleeve) is the only difference between front and rear on my 400i with self-leveler suspension.

I have been replacing bushings on an as-needed basis. I anticipate they will last 10+ years. I expect many of mine were the originals, except the front lower wishbones, for a 25 year old car.
    Ken

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Robert,

If you are able to make these and sell them inexpensively, it would be really wonderful! However, considering the low volume, how do you plan to accomplish this? There are at least 1000 times as many Toyotas as there are Ferraris and the 400 is a low volume Ferrari. Will this be some sort of loss leader for the firm or do you expect to make a profit?

I hope you can pull this off!

Regards,

Art S.

7. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    cost me $1000USD from columbus ohio about 3 yrs. ago

8. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Art S
    The trick to volume will be to find the wide number of models the same bushings fit. There are a long string of front engine F-cars that use the same bushings and many Maserati's as well. (other makes?)
    Ken

9. paris308

paris308 Rookie

Apr 22, 2008
    Hi, Did you get anywhere on producing bushings? I have a 412, not sure if parts are the same.

10. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    The production of the sample bushes is underway. This is generally a 3 month process including testing to destruction. Once this is complete I will be taking advance orders for the first production run.

11. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Good luck with the testing, will be interested in buying bushes when available. I think you are right a lot of cars share bushes.

12. Piston.Broke

Piston.Broke Karting

Mar 5, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi uzz32soarer.
    I am also in OZ and I am about to rebuild the front suspension on my 400i.
    I would be interested in finding out how the locally manufactured suspension bushes worked out, if they are available and if so - at what price.
    Please drop me a line.
    Regards,
    Piston.broke