Installing Squadra Nuvolari Repro Front Lenses | FerrariChat

Installing Squadra Nuvolari Repro Front Lenses

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by full_garage, Mar 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #1 full_garage, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As many of you know- for a very long time the only replacement front lenses for 400/412 vehicles has been the very expensive repros sold by Eirospares and a few others.

Squadra Nuvolari and Lyle Tanner now have very convincing reproductions of the original SIEM lenses- they'll do them in either all clear, half clear/half amber or all amber. At a cost of around $650 a pair they are expensive, but not ridiculous.

My 400i has a very good set of lenses on it with no chips or repairs- but the amber sections are a bit faded and look off compared to the brand new side markers- Plus there are a handful of very small "crazing" style internal cracks-

Well I was assured these are "Exact Reproductions" and identical to OEM in every way- so i ordered a pair. They arrived and lo and behold- EVERYTHING is perfect- SIEM logo, ALL the Euro marks- really concours quality repro-

The big issue is- "Do They Fit"?? Well honestly- No they do not. I mean they sort of fit, but they are just a HAIR bigger in every dimension than OEM- well at least compared to my OEM lenses. I was already into this so my goal was to "make it fit"...something I am accustomed to doing being a serial Ferrari owner.

As you can see from the images below- My old lenses looked pretty damned good- But the new lens has that crisp look that really makes the old lenses look , well, old.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #2 full_garage, Mar 10, 2011
    So the first thing to do is to see how we're going to fit these lenses.

The OEMS as you can see below- have a hollow metal threaded tube- The lens is simply dropped over the metal assembly and two large threaded screws hold it all together.

We can't use this system for the repros- So i went to the hardware store and got some hollow PVC tube and made some spacer pieces as you can see- You need these so you can screw the lens onto the car- without them the pressure of the screw will crack the lens.

I glued them on with Epoxy- But be careful- if the tube moves AT ALL during glue setup the thin sprayed on amber will melt right off.

Once you have the tubes in place yo need to assemble the lens- This is best done with a thin bead of silicone in the channel on the metal lamp unit- When done you'll have a waterproof assembly- and silicone is easy to disassemble should you need to get into it later.

BUT- The lens is TOO BIG.. so first you want to take off all the sharp edges on the flange part that fits into the groove on the metal light assembly- Buy yourself some wiggle room- especially on the sharp triangle part- What I did was get my silicone bead in, then lace the triangle part in FIRST- clamp it with a big clamp- firm enough pressure to hold it- not enough to break it- Now heat the ENTIRE lens for a few minutes with a heat gun- You want the lens to become just the tiniest bit softer so it will bend better- Cause stock it is a different curve than the light assembly. Once really warm (NOT HOT) bend the lens into place- with your thumbs you want to pop the end- the flat end of the lens- into the groove- then clamp and tape it so all the plastic lens ends are set well into the grooves.

ONce setup for 24 hours you have a nice finished lens- as shown here.

3. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #3 full_garage, Mar 10, 2011
    Now a word of warning-

The sprayed on amber is really thing and VERY brittle- Just slight handling pressure flakes it off- At some point I need to get some correct color to paint on mine to touch it up- and I was CAREFUL.

Fitting to the car is even more difficult than assembling the unit- Since the lower flange of the lens is taller- it wants to sit a bit proud of the car- So you really need to work on the way it mounts- I pounded out the OEM plastic sockets and used nuts and bolts to get everything in the right place, then screws it tight.

The lower part of the lens is still too long- But unless you are looking specifically for it it looks fine-

I'm going to let them sit on the car for a while- then see if Squadro Nuvolari can send me some amber paint- then I'll remove them and trim the lower lip with the dremel and touch up the amber- Kind of a lot of work but there's no other option.

I think they look quite sharp- If anyone needs a pair of decent OEM lenses for cheap- OM me.

4. Glaverbel911

Glaverbel911 Karting

Feb 20, 2010
    Neustadt ADW/Toronto
    Full Name:
    R. Groß
    Looks very fresh and clean Jay. Nice..
    I honestly think the original orange colour was a slightly lighter in shade to begin with.
    If the MFG. doesn't sell you the colour for touch up's you can buy some orange and yellow toner from your local auto paint store and blend it till it matches up. Toners are translucent

I sent you a PM..

Robert..

5. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #5 full_garage, Mar 10, 2011
  6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, very nice improvement! The amount of work on still expensive replacements, especially the heating part, must be a little bit daunting. Just a little too much and the piece can be ruined.

Great job and great craftsmanship, Jay!

7. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    John

Yeah totally- I'm trying to think if there is another lens like this that's so long and fits FLUSH to bodywork with no trim ring-It's really just these and the Daytonas.

I met a guy last year who told me it cost $7,000 to replace the front lens pair on his car- Now I know why- $650 worth of plastic and $6500 worth of labor!

8. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    The indicator lights are a pain. Well done those look brand new still expensive though or am I just being a Scot!

Ime still scraping away with a scalpel blade to clean off the old flaked paint and have sprayed one of the lenses amber which matches the original orange exactly when compared to the back indicator orange.

The paint is TAMIYA PS43 Transluecent orange

Also another blog about this on ferrariclub400

9. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi Jay,
    Your old ones look better than my old ones.
    On mine the plastic is broken where the metal tube attaches.
    Do you want to sell your old ones?
    Greg

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #10 Ashman, Mar 10, 2011
    Mine seem to be about the same color as the front side marker lights but they don't have that new look. I don't know if it will show up in this photo, but the 5 speed behind mine seems to have lights similar to Jay's old lights in terms of color.

11. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Spoken for right now- But if the guy passes I'll PM you.

Had a nice chat with the folks from Squadro nuvolari yesterday- They seemed shocked at the fitment issues and say they test fit every lens prior to shipment- and apparently are supplying these to the big F also.

They are wonderful to deal with- and have offered to have me send my entire assemblies back for them to hand fit- Well i already hand fit them- The big issue now is to hand trim the front- leading edge- of the lens to fit the paintwork- we're close now... so when I'm done it will be absolutely OEM perfect. They're also going to send me some of the amber dye to touch up mine.

if my car showed more wear I think the existing lenses would have been just fine- but since everything else is brand new they were the only piece on the car that was not new- and looked it. The car looks so much crisper now.