Just Got a 5-Speed 412! Need Window Help. | FerrariChat

Just Got a 5-Speed 412! Need Window Help.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 4SURE, Sep 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4SURE

4SURE Rookie

Sep 23, 2010
    SF CA
    Full Name:
    Christensen
    #1 4SURE, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello everyone!! I’m the proud new owner of 60359 (red/tan California 5-speed 412). I’ve been reading this section almost daily for one year and now finally I can become an active member of the 365 GT4 2+2/400/412 inner-circle. This is my very first post on Ferrarichat!

I’m excited to drive my Ferrari as much as possible for years to come, continue to learn from you guys and possibly even make some cool ass new Ferrari friends.

First impression: The engine was smooth and quiet. The shifting seemed to work best from 1st to 3rd until warm. The shifter position felt far forward but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. The shift ball spins. This is a little weird/possibly annoying. The wipers have hoses (to spray the windows I assume) but they flop in the wind. This is also strange. The car is very big but the interior of the car somehow is not. Large windows and upright seating make it easy to see outside both the front and back. The steering wheel feels nice. The car might have more leather and air conditioning buttons than any other car on the road. It feels very modern. Driving down the road people don't go insane and take videos with their cell phones and chase you as in other Ferraris – but perhaps they are just scared because it looks a little like a mafia car.

Now after spending some time with my 412 (last night and this morning), I’m reminded that this is not a NEW car. I’ll have to fix some things and hopefully they are common issues that you can help me with. Instead of just listing everything in one post, I’ll just start with this first item – power windows.

The driver’s side is slow. But, slow is better than not functioning at all. Driving home from the dealership last night, the passenger side didn’t move. I pressed down and nothing. At 7 AM this morning, I checked the fuse for the passenger side window. It was OK. Next listened carefully. I could hear the motor make a slight sound if I tried to put it up (the window was already fully up) but if I pressed down, nothing happened and no sound. I took the door panel off and found the two wires that run the motor. I unplugged each wire and tested to see if power was coming from the switch. Had power for “up” and power for “down”. That was good news. The switch must be good. I especially didn't want to take the center console apart after just getting the car. So I disconnected the battery and switched the wires. Reconnected the battery and pressed the switch up – as hoped the window went down at a surprisingly fast pace. Then checked to see if it would go back up again and as expected there was no movement.

Now this is the limit of what I can do today without a little help. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Again, nice to meet all of you!

Christensen
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Welcome,congratulations and Mazeltov on your new aquisition.

Re your notations on the car so far:you get used to the positioning,as you do with any car,the gear knob is a hoot...I'm forever straightening mine and 5 seconds later it's back to where IT wants to be.
    Relative to how you drive and the type of roads you're negotiating,the car WILL shrink around you.Recently a group of motorheads went for a drive down south that had some pretty serious rangework..I was up the rear of a new VW Golf turbo and he would'nt move(would you Ian!!!)out of the way.
    My drivers side window is slow,probably because it's the most used,no issue with the passenger.

Anyway that's my .02c,good luck and enjoy your drive.
    Simon.

3. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Christensen
    Congratulations on the new car, really nice post sharing your first thoughts, spot on with the feeling of it being small its to do with the upright low seats and the huge central consul, Driving, the great bit is as you put power on it gets better. Very positive steering, torque at the right revs and lack off roll make handling at speed an addiction you have got a prperly fantastic car.
    Regards
    Alastair

4. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    power windows.

The driver’s side is slow. But, slow is better than not functioning at all. Driving home from the dealership last night, the passenger side didn’t move. I pressed down and nothing. At 7 AM this morning, I checked the fuse for the passenger side window. It was OK. Next listened carefully. I could hear the motor make a slight sound if I tried to put it up (the window was already fully up) but if I pressed down, nothing happened and no sound. I took the door panel off and found the two wires that run the motor. I unplugged each wire and tested to see if power was coming from the switch. Had power for “up” and power for “down”. That was good news. The switch must be good. I especially didn't want to take the center console apart after just getting the car. So I disconnected the battery and switched the wires. Reconnected the battery and pressed the switch up – as hoped the window went down at a surprisingly fast pace. Then checked to see if it would go back up again and as expected there was no movement.

Now this is the limit of what I can do today without a little help. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Again, nice to meet all of you!

Christensen[/QUOTE]

Just for peace of mind i have fixed a 'modern' renault 5 year old window regulator twice in the last while due to rubbish mechanicals corroding wires etc and the 400s is not even thinking about giving up the ghost after 34 years. Mine run slow too i think to do with old worn cushioning/bushing stuff around the frame try some 'silicone' spray or 'stuff' to ease the passage of the glass.
    Regards
    Alastair

5. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Search the 308 forum for the two relay window mod- I've done it for both the 400i and the 412 and the windows work quite well now.

6. 4SURE

4SURE Rookie

Sep 23, 2010
    SF CA
    Full Name:
    Christensen
    Hi Full_garage. Thanks for the response. After a little research, it seems the problem is a ground issue and probably not at the door.

Is this the product?

http://www.birdmanferrari.com/windows.htm

7. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #7 Highmiler, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    My personal big fix for all things electrical in these cars is the ground cables.
    The cars came from the factory with paint between the cables and the tube frame. This paint needs to go away and everything electrical in the car will work better. I have been informed that all Italian cars of this era have ground issues so I am pretty sure it isn't just me.
    As you develop confidence in the car you will be amazed at how the car shrinks and the interior grows.
    You are going to love it!
    Greg

8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    There's a way to do it with two relays from the auto parts store- It's a $10 fix.

This brings a new ground to the motor directly from the door- trust me- it works great and takes just a few hours to do.

9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    yep, me too

10. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Welcome. Nice first post.

Enjoy the open roads !

11. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    Dear Christensen,

Welcome to the ever expanding world of 412 5 speeds! These cars are to me the best Ferrari V12 bargin on the road today. You will enjoy your car every time you drive it. Best of luck to you and whatever small items need fixing. I've only had mine for twenty thousand miles or so and I love it. All the Best. D

12. capcgn

capcgn Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Germany
    First the switches are not working from not using it. Take them out and put WD40 in it. Secound, open the door and tigthen the two screws which are connecting the glasframe with the steel cable. This is most time the problem.

13. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #13 theobordeaux, Sep 23, 2011
  14. 4SURE

4SURE Rookie

Sep 23, 2010
    SF CA
    Full Name:
    Christensen
    Quick update: I just ordered the “Birdman’s Ferrari Window Accelerators” from Rodney Dickman (262) 835-9575. I’ll get them next week. I chose this route because I’m receiving plenty of power from the switch but have a bad ground.

I learned that the switch on the center console works as a reverse polarity circuit. This means that only two wires run to the window motor. Press the switch down and one wire will be the power the other will be the ground. The window goes down. Press the switch up and then electrical current is opposite. The power and ground are switched resulting in reverse operation of the motor. Thus, the window will go up.

Currently, the problem with my Ferrari is that when I press the switch down, I only get the power and not the necessary ground. The window accelerator will create a local ground solving the problem.

Side note: the other “two relay” method would also work very nice because it makes a new ground too, along with a direct positive lead from the battery without going through the switch. It is a nice solution. However, although the “two relay” method is cheaper, I chose not to go this route as I don't need the additional power and it requires more wires and more parts. For me the simplest solution is the best.

Thanks everyone for the comments and help. Have a fantastic Friday!

Christensen

15. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I did the same thing and it fixed the windows.
    But do not forget the ground cables to chassis paint removal. I believe removing the paint would have had the same effect on the windows, for free.
    The next thing you will notice will be the slow windshield wipers.
    They too will be helped by paint removal. I pulled the wiper motor apart and replaced the grease to no avail. But then I also found that the pivot points are full of grit and stiff grease.
    Cleaning the pivots helped a lot. Mind the snap rings.
    Have fun!

16. 4SURE

4SURE Rookie

Sep 23, 2010
    SF CA
    Full Name:
    Christensen
    #16 4SURE, Oct 7, 2011
    Another update: The "Birdman’s Ferrari Window Accelerators" from Rodney Dickman arrived in the mail as promised. They look like a high quality product.

However, while waiting I found out that the switches can be removed by just carefully pulling up on the switch. Before, I was under the impression that the entire console would have to be removed to take them out. This is not the case. You can just carefully lift them up and out of the console with a little force.

With the switch exposed, I removed the wires from the switch and cleaned the connections. Then plugged it back it. No change. So I removed and tried the switch from the other side and the window worked perfectly. It quickly went both up and down as it should. So, clearly the switch is bad.

Does anyone know of a good source to purchase a brand new switch? Please let me know.

Christensen

17. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    <www.trutlands.com/>
    <www.allferrariparts.com/>
    I don't know whether the links will connect but if not, you can look them up on the web.
    Greg

18. capcgn

capcgn Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Germany
    spray WD40 in the switch and it will work again...................

19. cig3

cig3 Rookie

Mar 14, 2009
    Grand River, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bloom
    This is a common problem with older BMW's as well. You should be able to take the swich apart and clean it. Even if you find a replacement. It is always nice to have a spare in the glove box incase of a failure.

20. 4SURE

4SURE Rookie

Sep 23, 2010
    SF CA
    Full Name:
    Christensen
    #20 4SURE, Oct 10, 2011
    Update: Fantastic news! Now, both of my Ferrari windows quickly move up and down as new. Thank you everyone for the helpful advice.

I first repaired the window switch. The switch can be dissembled with some carefully applied force. It has 3 parts: The rocker on the top, the actual switch with light bulb, and a outer ring/plastic cup that holds the switch into the hole in the console. All parts snap together with small tabs. After fully disassembling the non-functioning one, I found it was packed full of clear electrical grease. The working switch was clean and wasn't full of grease. So, I used a small rag, compressed air and electrical connection cleaner to clean up the greasy bad switch. Then sprayed some WD40 on all the moving friction parts. Then used electrical connection cleaner on the switch terminal and wire plug. Lastly snapped everything back together. It worked perfectly.

Second, I added the Birdman’s window accelerators. These small units detect the wire with power and redirect the other wire to a local ground. I chose to make my own connections rather than use the ones supplied as I didn’t want to cut or modify the original factory wiring harness. To do so, I split the grey power wires at each end with a butt connector and crimping tool. A small lock tie was added for additional reinforcement at the split. Then I added one solderless spade terminal (female) and one tab terminal (male) to each end. Next, I removed the large ground washer and nut from the bottom window frame base. I sanded these to create a clean ground surface. Installed the accelerator and added electrical conduit. Upon testing, I found the window speed was approximately twice as fast.

Lastly, I used a rag and WD40 to clean the old grease from all the moving parts of the window motor and cable guide wheels. The tracks were clean already so I left them alone. Then I added new grease to all the moving parts and carefully tightened the bolts going through the glass. Lastly, I made some new heavy plastic moisture barriers to keep the door panels clean. I used white tape (the same color as the originals) to secure the plastic to the door.

This project took longer than expected but the results were worth the effort.

21. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Very informative.
    I'm doing the same on my 365 GT4 2+2.
    What type of grease did you use and a few years later, is everything still working well.

22. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    The more you drive the car the more you will appreciate it. The 412 with a std shift was my favorite car ever. I regret having to sell it. Keep it well serviced and it will reward you.
    Bob