Oil pressure or oil Temp switch? | FerrariChat

Oil pressure or oil Temp switch?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Apr 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #1 rustytractor, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
    Being an ignorant Essex bloke I'll award 10 points to the clever bugger who can tell me if the switch situated on the top of the engine just in front of the oil filters on my 1978 400 is:-
    a) the oil pressure switch
    b) the oil temperature switch
    or
    c) the switch that turns the light on in my loft.

Whatever it is I need one cos mine appears to be leaking.

Answers on a postcard to:-
    Rustytractor
    Room 13
    The Bedlam Mental Institution
    Little Hampton
    IM1 NOB

PS - anyone got one going spare ?

2. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Russell
    I am also more than a bit thick up here in Scotland.
    I think it is the 'oil pressure sender' £64 quid from eurospares.
    I guess you have tried tightening it up if oil is seeping from the base where it threads on to the block?????
    With great thickness greetings
    Alastair

3. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    and the 10 point winner is ....... Alastair from Scotland !!!! Did you also send in a postcard cos if not you may be disqualified.

To be honest it's in so tight I couldn't easily get it out to see if there was a gasket of some kind underneath let alone tighten it up any more. Its probably the original part and may have seized in place so was loath to force it without finding out first if a replacement was available.

I could be wrong but it looks like oil's weeping from both the base and the top of the sensor but maybe it just appears that way. Does anyone know if there's a seal of some kind between the sensor and the block or have any experience of these failing ? It's still functioning ok so would prefer not to replace it if it's only a seal causing the problem.

4. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Good stuff ive finally won something doesn this mean I am never going to win the lottery?
    has all my luck ran out? Damn and I was going to buy my dream car a Ferrari 400.

I just had a look at mine, I can see it comes in 2 parts, transmitter (sender) and the union (bit that attaches it to the crankase there is also a gasket at the bottom of that so you could try to replace that.

Like you I would rather not overtighten as an option.

On Eurospares website go to Crankase parts 83, 84, 75 (Gasket)
    The gasket is a reasuringly inexpensive 28p

Regards
    Alastair

5. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Thanks for this but.......

28p ? That's a damned insult !

Surely they've made a mistake, the actual charge being £35.28 for the part plus:-

handling charge plus destocking fee plus shoe wear and tear fee plus carriage charge to take the item from stores to the shipping department plus packaging and eyeball/fingertip wear plus shipping plus Vat plus Fat plus YAASBWBAF (You Are A Stupid Bastard Who Bought A Ferrari) tax making the total £488.67

If this was the case I'd feel more comfortable!

6. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Good fun.
    Let us know how you do with it.

For peace of mind dont worrry Ferrari spares outlets will find some really insanely expensive mundane things that you might need in due course!!!!!!!

My record so far was the 'Renold tensioner' (WP Chain) £150.00 Ithink and was originally £20.00 silly wee plastic thingy. Even though I am poor even if I could have afforded it I would still have spent months building up the will to depart with so much for so little!!!!!

Regards
    Alastair

7. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Russel

I'm having the exact same problem now.
    oil is leaking from the base and the top of the oil pressure sensor.

did you fix it by simply replacing the gaskets?

Regards Andreas

8. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Actually I think the part that Russell is describing (A sender unit in front of the oil filters) is the fuel pump cut-off switch that kills the live feed to the fuel pump when there is no oil pressure. See table 017 part 19 on the 400GT diagrams on the Eurospares website - http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=1&Mo=579&A=1&B=32056&S=.

The oil pressure sender that Alistair is talking about is at the rear of the engine.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

My apologies for the thread derailment... but speaking of Russell... why has he disappeared from posting? I noticed that he logs in from time to time, but has not posted since last November?

Anyway, I hope all is well with him and that he posts soon, as I always enjoy his posts!

Cheers,

Sam

10. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    you're right Simon, it's this switch in front of the oil filters, but the amount of oil leaking is making me hope it's just a blown oil switch gasket and not a crack in the base of the oil filters.

11. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    If it is leaking from the base of the switch the gasket you refer to is just a copper sealing washer. I would suggest to try nipping the switch up tight, or take it off and fit a new copper washer. If you don't have a washer then take it off and anneal the old washer and refit it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLqlDSsQpA. I have successfully done this using the flame from a ring on the cooker in the kitchen.

Or maybe it is a leaking rubber sealing ring on one of the oil filters, in which case make sure they are fully tightened down.

12. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    or maybe its the rubber hose that runs to the base of the filters.

13. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    thanks for the infos, but it looks like the oil pressure switch.
    I'll address the problem ASAP.

14. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    thanks for all the hints, but oil was definitely leaking from the top (!!!) of the oil pressure switch.
    switch changed - problem solved.