400i 1980 auto on Ebay UK no reserve | FerrariChat

400i 1980 auto on Ebay UK no reserve

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Pyrford Ranger, May 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #1 Pyrford Ranger, May 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very rare to see an auction for a 400 on Ebay UK. needs restoration so interesting to watch where it goes to?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120912499442&clk_rvr_id=341687784142

For No Reserve Sale

Ferrari 400i Restoration Project

Recently had stainless steel exhaust system put on it, fuel pumps, front grille and back bumper.

Work needed to complete - Bodywork and paintwork. Starts but does not drive well - suspected gearbox issue, Good second hand gearbox comes with it. Also needs front left brake caliper. Easy restoration job to finish off for a Ferrari enthusiast.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm amazed not one person has noticed the biggest problem with that car. Look close guys the assembly line workers screwed up and put the steering wheel on the wrong side.

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Must have been built on the day after a long Italian holiday weekend! :D

Could be a sweat equity deal for someone if there isn't too much rust but a UK location doesn't guarantee that. GM TH400's should be inexpensive to rebuild.

4. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    After inspection it seems the bid price is at least double the car's worth, and I was only wanting it for spares!!!
    Buyer beware, check it out yourself before you bid.

5. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    It's still got a Ferrari V12 so I vote it to be worth more than 1500 pounds (...). From the looks of it it's not a car that should be attempted to be restored though.

6. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    £6211

cheap project

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    No such thing!

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    100%

9. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    absolutely true...but it helps when the entry cost is only $10K...what would a comparable 246 be worth...$125K ?

10. fly275

fly275 Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    Midwest USA
    History repeats itself. When I first became interested in and started following ferrari cars in the middle 1970s,
    a large number of people in the ferrari world looked at certain cars with distain. (Buano, Elana, PF coupes, GTE, all 330GT 2 and 4 light)
    These cars were considered "dull, sober, un-interesting, not worth spending large amounts of money on", people ignored and neglected them,
    they parted them out without second thought, nobody cared. (sounds like many peoples attitude now toward the 365/400/412 series) Now the world
    considers all the 50s and 60s cars sacred. People on this forum get fighting mad when talk arrises of cutting one up for parts
    or re-body no matter how rough or bad the condition is. You guys who dismiss this car as "not worth saving" are different vioces in
    different decades, with the same story. In 20 or 30 years from now I believe this Ebay car and ALL pre 1989 cars will be persued
    as very desireable. I believe the newer the car, the less desireable and therefore the less they will be worth in time. I believe this
    will be closely tied to the lack of suport to keep the computers and other costly high tech systems going.
    We must remember, Ferrari road cars are created to enhance our quality of life, not our wallets

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You might want to be a bit more careful with your tone. Your comments are missdirected. The posters in this subsection are likely to be the most supportive of the 365/400/412 series of cars. Nobody has said these cars aren't worth saving. Just the opposite in fact. Many members here have spent 10's of thousands of dollars keeping these cars alive.

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Dave, I think he ment we are on the leading edge on these cars. I other words we have seen the light so to speak.

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well if that is true I sure read that wrong.

14. fly275

fly275 Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    Midwest USA
    I am not trying to upset anyone. I am just trying to present a wider perspective. Post #4 above sugest this cars value is in parts.
    (thats what he wanted it for) post #5 states restoration should not be attempted. Both these ideas are related to money right now.
    I just think as time passes there will be a lot of interest and demand for cars like this.

15. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    I agree
    Almost regardless of condition any 400 series car is a bargain because of what you get for the money compared to any similar era V12. Every 400 is worth restoring.
    I think the guys were pointing out that one might need to be aware of the potential costs involved.
    For me it was never for the money or investment I just love these cars and by fate there at a cost even a poor guy like me can be part of the celebration how lucky is that.
    Regards
    Alastair

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Investment? You mean some guys actually get their money back on these cars? :D

17. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Good point
    only investment i seem to be doing at the moment is time spent on.under the car!!!!!! getting there though engine close to going back in soon. then paint then comissioning etc. I cant wait. good fun on the journey though.

18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    no...no one ever gets their money back...no one...ever...never...ever...no one...

but, because of their low price, they are, without doubt, capable of providing one of the best Ferrari experiences per dollar...

19. dtmpower99

dtmpower99 Rookie

Aug 19, 2014
    Hi, newbie here , I remember seeing this car for sale on eBay - did it ever sell ?

20. dtmpower99

dtmpower99 Rookie

Aug 19, 2014
    Did this car sell and get put back on the road or was it beyond that stage ?

I remember seeing it on eBay and it seemed cheap at the time.

21. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Interesting to read all your different perspectives about the 400i......I bought mine because I am a big fan of the Pinninfarina design, and of fast saloons in general. Mine is ''ripe for restoration'', and I do know what I'm taking on. I don't like cars that are semi-restored by others.....especially others that 'restore' for profit. Sitting behind the wheel of a 400 was a new experience for me, and I can say that the driving position is simply like no other. It is an object lesson in perfection........ditto dashboard, centre console, etc etc. I know the road ahead will be an expensive one, but that isn't the point. It is one of the Ferraris that I actually like......alongside the 550 Maranello..........as for all the rest, right up to and including 2014......you are very welcome. The 400i is as modern as I want to get, and on todays conjested roads, it's as modern as needs be. Looking forward to journeys in France and Spain next year......lots of deserted, motoring friendly roads. For now, back to the spanners !

22. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    And that's the attitude that most of us on this forum have - we're in it for the love of the car, not the value (or lack of) that's associated with them. I will warn you that they become a bit of an obsession and can drain your bank very quickly if you're unlucky - fingers crossed that you fall into the lucky camp with your car.

Like you, modern Ferrari's leave me cold - they're expensive and go fast but for me lack something that even I can't put my finger on. I look at this series of cars and I revel in the styling, sound, smell, noise, driving experience and overall sensation that they provide. Sure they can be a PITA to work on and bits can be expensive but you have friends here with a wealth of knowledge that usually come through with an answer to most (if not all) problems.

You've bought a 400i for exactly the right reason - because they stir something inside you and that's the way most of us feel.

Good luck with your car, keep us informed of your progress please.