Valve clearance adjustment | FerrariChat

Valve clearance adjustment

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by alastairhouston, May 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    #1 alastairhouston, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello all
    Just did valve clearances on 400GT After 30 000 miles (50 000km) The inlet valves clearance closed up more than the exhaust see diagram. So all were done to bring back in to spec.

I thought it a lot easier to do this job by taking the cams off rather than using a shim removal tool.

In the diagram the measurements beside the circle(shim) was the clearance before adjustment.
    Below that the measurement the actual thickness of the shim when removed.
    Below that was the required thickness of shim to bring back in to spec.
    The highlighted green measurement was the checked clearance once adjusted.
    The specs are, Inlet between 0.2 and 0.25 and exhaust 0.3 and 0.35

Regards
    Alastair
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Nice work! So you measured all of the valves and then removed the cams, changed the shims and put it all back together?

3. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    #3 alastairhouston, May 25, 2012
    Thanks AK
    I was able to swap some of the shims around to fit and the rest were ordered from Eurospares @ £4.50 I ended up buying 16.
    Time wise about a day measuring, taking off cams etc and a day back together though thats with an already cam covers off engine sitting on a bench. Good fun and finally looking forward to getting the covers on and engine back in the car.
    Regards

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    And all clearences w/in specs after assy. I'm assuming??

5. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Hello Bruce
    Yes all good but the intake 9 and exhaust 10 (see previous diagram) were annoyingly close to being out of spec so I decided to remove and replace with thinner shims because of the tendency for both to 'close up' even though they were technically within spec.

I did this without too much hassle because having removed all before I knew the thickness of shims and it was only two to prize out carefully and replace, done with wedging screwdrivers on the edges of the buckets then prizing out with a thin screwdriver and replace. (similar idea to the 'Ferrari' shim removal tool!)

The cam timming is set to absolute perfection ie the marks on the 4 cams are right on the corresponding caps marks and within the marks themselves, thats with lots of chain 'settling' rotation and chain tension correct.

Getting there slowly but surely.
    Regards
    Alastair

6. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I had mine done in February.

In the car it was a 12 hour process to pull it apart, check the adjustment and put it back together. No changes were required at 50,000 miles. Someone had already been into it as evidenced by the blue Form-a-Gasket in place of real gaskets. All oil leaks have now been stopped by means of new, real gaskets.

There are at least 120 acorn nuts involved in this project. 120 is where I lost count while polishing them.

Greg

7. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Hello Greg
    It was good you did check them though and it gives you peace of mind. Phew in the midst of all my goings on didnt realize the acorn nut numbers! me too have polished them as I put back on thats why I was still in the garage till late!!!!!
    All good
    Regards
    Alastai

8. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi Alastair,
    We checked the valves because I needed the peace of mind.
    I have bad news about polished acorn nuts: they dull right down.
    But then, the crust and fuzz stays off of them making them look more presentable.
    Greg

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #9 blkprlz, Jun 9, 2012
    I'm suspecting that you might have thought these 2 valves were going to be close after assy., am I correct?

Let's be honest, by & large...the engines in these cars are generally not kept to the same standards as say ...............a 512! :eek:
    Yeah, there are examples from time to time that do have clean ones (low mileage) but I believe after 2-3 decades of use (& heat in those engine bays), the cadmium coating is going to loose its brightness & become dull...lets face it.
    In an attempt to brighten my FI lines, I 'lightly' wiped them with metal polish ( Mothers) in an attempt to remove some of the chalkiness, but instead it removed what little coating that remained. :eek: I quickly passed the point of no return, so I continued on until the one line was at a chrome-like appearance. I found that with Mothers, they dulled in about 4 months time. Then I remembered using Simichrome on my dirt bikes as a kid & that the shine would last for quite some time. Now that everything is polished up, I spend 1 weekend every year maintaining that shine on all parts (aux. air valves, vacuum valves, wur's, cap nuts, radiator caps, etc., even the injectors). Simichrome leaves a protective coating to help inhibit this dullness from returning. It's not all that dull after a year's time but I just like the brightness afterwards.

http://simichrome.premiumstore.com/?cid=44378&chid=1&gclid=CODN8PzPwbACFYeo4AodHTkAWw

Use it sparingly, it goes a long way. If this is considered molesting, so be it. It can always be re-plated if, in the unlikely event, these GT's become highly sought after & collectible. Ferrari engines are supposed to look brand new all the time. I felt that the black & chrome was a better appearance than the black/gold/chrome/stainless mix.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think it looks outstanding!

11. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yup, I used that too.
    The difference is that I decided the new "patina" was OK and have just left them alone since February.
    Greg

12. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

14. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston

15. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Shims used on the Ferrari 365/400/412 are the same used by early Volvo, I found them to be cheaper and more available.

16. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Have been doing some maintenance on the GT the past week. Both valve clearance and timing was off so it was about time.

Read through this older thread and the valve clearance mentioned are not correct for the 400GT as this thread was about. These values are for 400i. Probably many of you know this but thought I'd mention it so others don't actually use these clearances for their 365 GT4 2+2 or 400GT.

Correct measures for the carburetted cars are 0.10-0.15 inlet,and 0.25-0.30 exhaust.

A

17. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Can the shims be replaced with the cam in place? Any idea which Volvo is the one that uses the same valve shims?

18. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #18 raemin, Dec 24, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    There is a small cheap valve shim removal tool made by hill engineering for that purpose.

The shims diametre is pretty common (fiat x19), I had issue finding the proper thickness though (could not find thin shims). Seller "dg_rally" on ebay does sell the proper ones at a reasonable price.