So I bought the Wheeler Dealer Mustang - who saw me make a cock of myself ? | FerrariChat

So I bought the Wheeler Dealer Mustang - who saw me make a cock of myself ?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Nov 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Not my usual 400 post but the title of the thread says it all................

2. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    ...haven't seen it but love the show. Tell us the story; Where are these guys ? Lee

3. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Was an interesting experience that's for sure !

Been chatting with some guys on Pistonheads who follow all Wheeler Dealer episodes, rather than repeat myself the link is:-

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=204&t=1195273&mid=297538&i=319&nmt=Wheeler+Dealers+-+New+Series+2012&mid=297538

I love this car and it turns heads everywhere BUT I can't wait to get the new starter fitted to my 400 - I feel like I've lost a leg at the moment !

4. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    They're based in Bracknell in Berkshire, they have two workshops, one for doing the proper work and the other for filming - they're all a real nice bunch of guys.

5. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #5 180 Out, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As is the case with all things under the sun these days, it's on Youtube:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5uqRB4K6y4[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6z5l0Mqo78[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Moarxl4Dc[/ame]

At least I *think* the black car is the same as the finished product red car. "It'll turn more heads than a Ferrari?"

I have a '65 Mustang fastback myself, bought in '01 and currently sitting idle with no motor. My 400i pushed that project off the front burner, but as soon as I've replaced the Ferrari's bushings it's coming back to life. They're fun cars, light weight and with very simple and heavy duty components. "Drive it like you stole it" is the rule.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Funny, I have a running Mustang and a dead 400 - opposite sides of the pond = opposite car problems !

Your right about the cars simplicity and (relative) light weight, loads of fun and turns lots of heads but doesn't have the class of the 400.

7. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    We drive on the wrong side of the road too.

The old car experience is night and day between the Mustang and the 400i, particularly here in the States where the 400's are rarer than '68 GT500KRs. There is *no* part you can't order on line for the Mustang and receive immediate shipment. The supplier I go to first is National Parts Depot. Mustangs Plus has a good selection, but they're the highest priced. At the same time, even the prices from the highest priced vendors are 1/10th or less than comparable Ferrari items (*if* you can find them). At the same time, owners with $40,000 invested in $20,000 cars are quite common. (I happen to be very close to one of them.)

Also, there is no repair or restoration problem you can't get someone to walk you through on the owners' forums Stangfix http://www.stangfix.com/ and Vintage Mustang Forum http://www.vintage-mustang.com/

8. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    So what is the "real work" garage ? Does Edd turn all the bolts or does he have a staff do the dirty work (and he really only wears old T-shirts and musses up his hair) ?

...my 2 cars for 10 years (before I moved to Taiwan 10 years ago, and moved back since) were the red 308 and a yellow '70 mustang convertible (351c-4v with deluxe interior). I did lots of big work on both...Both got a lot of eyeballs, the biggest difference is that (as a 30-something year old) driving the Ferrari I got deliberately ignored by the 50 year olds driving their mid-life crisis Corvettes, and others seemed to glare as though I must be the attorney who foreclosed on their home. But everyone, all ages, always gave the thumbs up on the Mustang--everyone in the US has a story (or generations of stories) about a Mustang they had, they wanted, or they experienced...Lee

9. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Even in the UK pretty much all Mustang parts are really easy to come by. I made contact with a dealer a few weeks ago (I haven't met him yet) and whilst discussing some of the bits I need he mentioned he was going to Vegas last week. Seeing as I was about to order a gear reduction starter from Ferraristarters.com I sheepishly asked if he fancied bringing it back for me and his reply was "no problem" - what a nice guy !

Hopefully he'll be able to supply anything we need but I'm grateful for the info so thanks.

And you're 100% correct about prices, I can get a rebuild kit for the Mustang engine for little more than the cost of the 400 starter I just ordered but I guess that's the price you pay for exclusivity and Italian flair ( no insult intended to our American cousins - I've had various US GM cars for over 30 years and love them as well!)

10. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Edd's sidekick Paul sources the cars and does the bulk of the work in the other garage but they're doing this for tv so it makes sense really. They've done so much more work to this car that you don't see, everything (and I do mean everything) is new underneath and the car drives like new.

You're right about people's perception of American cars, everyone comments on them and 99.99% of the time they smile and wave at you - I've had it for 23 years with my 1953 Cadillac convertible.

11. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Russell
    crings jivens man, yer mad. good mad. keep up the good work lifes too short for boring cars. Starter instalation let us know how you get on.
    Regards
    Alastair

12. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Congrats on the car. Did you know prior to showing up it was a WD car?

Erik

13. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    What a fun experience.

I read the other forum you linked to although I'm a bit foggy about how the show part is done. Did you work out the deal before filming and then they have you back for a scripted shoot?

14. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Thanks, it really is a lovely car (not a 400 but it has it's own appeal and turns many heads). Yes, we saw an ad which had a picture of a 67 Bullit look-alike Mustang which said that the car would look like the one in the picture and if you wanted to buy it you had to be filmed "buying" it on screen.

We realised it was WD, emailed and was told that the car was being painted and that we cold look at it when it was ready. There was a couple of weeks between the initial email and viewing the car.

15. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    We first viewed the car Sept 15th when we met Paul (Edd's sidekick mechanic who actually does most of the work. For fear or repeating myself and to cut a long story short we decided to buy the car, was told by Paul that the price had to be close to £25k, (obviously tried less but got nowhere) and eventually agreed at £24.5k.

Filming was done Sept 19th which is when we picked the car up. Other than some miserable bastard keying the bonnet 3 weeks after we brought the car home it's been a lovely experience.

We're taking the car to the classic car show at the NEC this weekend and I have to drive it on stage for the Wheeler Dealer "What's the story" live show at around 3.15 on Friday and Saturday (can't do Sunday as I actually have a life outside of this car!). Apparently I have to talk with Mike Brewer for 5-10 mins about the car and WD before driving the car off stage. Should be a giggle - he really is a very nice guy.

16. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I figured as much - very cool. Looks like a fun car to drive, enjoy her!

Erik

17. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Just saw the episode a week or two ago! I download every single one I can find. You got a really nice car man!

I also really liked the Jag Mk.II and Triumph TR-6 episodes

18. damanloox

damanloox Rookie

Apr 4, 2014
    Please let me know if you ever decide to sell it... ;)