Looking for a white RHD 365 GT4 2+2 | FerrariChat

Looking for a white RHD 365 GT4 2+2

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dinopaul, Nov 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hello

The European Ferrari Club 400 has just been contacted by an english man, who is looking for the car his father owned when he was a teenager (the son, not the father...).

The car was (is ?) registered DYF51V, and is believed to be White/Black Leather.
    The car should have been tested in a UK magazine, a decade ago, or have been part of a big Ferrari event in the UK.

Would somebody have picture, information, souvenir ?

Thanks

Paul
    [email protected]

2. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The registration supplied it odd as it would indicate that the car was first registered in the UK between August 79 and July 1980, sometime after the 365GT4 2+2 went out of production.

If the car had been registered in another country first it should have been given a plate corresponding to the year of manufacture, although there is the odd exception.

The plate would be correct if the car had not been previously registered and sat in storage from new?

3. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Do you mean he is looking for a 365 or a 400 ? A 'V' registration here dates from 1979 or 1980.

Mark Shannon

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #4 miurasv, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
    Just did an RAC check on the number DYF 51V and it does relate to a 1974 Ferrari of 4390cc.

The car was originally sold to Jersey and came here in 1979 that would explain the plate. If the car was brought in from Jersey now it would of course go on a plate with a M or an N at the end but that may not have been the case in the seventies. We had a Maranello Concessionaires supplied '64 330GT 2+2 that was originally on a B plate but was later registered on the plate SRL 484H that we were told had been in Jersey. Also the H plate could have been assigned when a private plate that had been on the car was removed.

From Pistonheads:

"Simply out of curiosity I am interested to know the whereabouts of one of our old cars from my childhood days. DYF 51 V was our 365GT4 2+2 in white, the car was originally registered in 1974 in Jersey and shipped to the UK in 1979, it is currently taxed according to the DVLA website. I would be delighted to learn of it's whereabouts and current condition, I would infact love to own the car, who knows ? Any information would be much appreciated, there are very few of this model about, hopefully somebody will know something. "

5. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    OK, the car is #17815.

It was previously registered OUJ365.

I don't know where it is now, but I know a previous owner and will ask him.

Mark Shannon

6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    We went through this a week ago on Pistonheads and I posted there that the original enquirer needs to contact the Ferrari Owners' Club to be put in touch with the owner and that the car lives in Berkshire.

Jonathan

7. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks all

You're right, the person has left a request on piston heads before contacting us, and the car was delivered new in Jersey. This is #17815.

I ve replied that the car could be "OUJ 365", a white / black leather 365 GT4 2+2 tested versus a 308 GT4 in this reportage : http://www.arabiandrift.com/video/73115/Buying--Selling-1970s-Ferrari-308-GT4--365-GT4-

He has answered that he had made a research and it wasn't the right car. Besides, OUJ365 may be black/black today. Are you sure that DYF51V and OUJ365 are #17815 ?

8. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    OUJ365 is on a black California currently. DYF51V is still white.

Jonathan

9. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    For sure...The french man I am had forgotten that in UK you buy and sale license plates...

I don't unterstand how #17815 was "DYF51V" 30 years ago (when the son of the ex-owner was a teenager), then was OUJ365, and now back DYF51V...?
    Are you sure, really sure, that #17815 has been OUJ365 ?

Have you watched the video ? This is OUJ365. But is it #17815 ?

10. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Are you sure you want to know how UK plates work?

When a car is first registered in the UK it is allocated a plate by the UK licensing authority (the DVLA). That plate is based on where it is registered (i.e. at which DVLA office) and the year. An owner can also put any other plate on the car providing it doesn't imply that the car is newer than it is. If the other plate is taken off then, usually the original plate will be reallocated back to the car. Hence a car can be registered DYF51V then OUJ365 then DYF51V again.

Jonathan

11. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Allright Jonathan !
    Thanks a lot. Now I understand how it works.

Sorry to insist, but have you seen #17815 with the OUJ365 plate ?
    Can't exist two white RHD GT4 ?
    Don't have my files with me, but in my souvenir, there 133 RHD 365 GT4 2+2. So maybe several in white.

You seem to be sure, so I trust you.

12. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm not sure what you're asking since what was originally asked about was DYF51V rather than OUJ365 but yes, both plates belong to the same car which was one of, I believe, two supplied new to the UK (well, Channel Islands in the case of 17815) in that colour, which is actually Ivory rather than white.

Jonathan

13. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dear Jonathan,

I just wanted to be sure that it was one car. And only one.
    The person who is looking for the car seemed to be sure that OUJ365 wasn't DYF51V but he was wrong. OUJ365 as you told us belongs now to a black California, that s why he was mistaking.

I just want to help him and you ll do it better than me because you know where it is and probably who owns it.

In the European Ferrari Club 400, I'm in charge of the historical parts, and of a register too. In three years, I've counted about 150 365 GT4 2+2 in the all world.

We have been pleased to welcome english cars at Le Mans Classic 2012. These warmth persons plan to welcome us next year and we will very pleased to grow up our "400 relationships". More we are, more we have fun.

As a consequence I'm interested in getting contact with every 365/400/412's owner.
    We are just planning and debating, we ll do a complete information when we ll be able to tell when and where.

You're right, white is wrong, ivory is correct. And that's one of my very favourite color, maybe it explains how I want to help so intensively.

Sorry for that franco-english, I do my best...

14. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Thanks Paul,

I understand now. Of course I know of the European Ferrari Club 400 and, indeed, I was at Le Mans Classic this year myself.

Jonathan

15. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed