UK 400A sold at Classic car show auction | FerrariChat

UK 400A sold at Classic car show auction

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Pyrford Ranger, Nov 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #1 Pyrford Ranger, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi just to give a feel for real world actual auction transaction prices as opposed to some pie in the sky adverts.

http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1979-ferrari-400-gt-coupe-

looks in good nick but hasn't been used so £16k for a UK auction car is pretty strong money.

Chassis Number: 26653

Engine Number: TBA

Number of cylinders: 12

Year of Manufacture: 1979

Sold for (£): 16,240.00

Share this item:

Print Page

The 400GT was a larger engined version of the 365GT4 2+2 that it replaced. The 4823cc V12 engine provided the new 400 GT with much improved performance over its older sister. All Ferraris built in this period were costly, low-production machines, based on increasingly complex tubular chassis frames and clad in hand-crafted body shells. These body shells had been styled by Pininfarina and were produced at the Scaglietti coachbuilding works in Modena. The 400GT looks very similar to the car it replaced, different lamps and spoiler are the main differences. This model is perhaps best known for introducing automatic transmission to Ferrari customers, an option never listed before. Made from 1976-1979. Only 500 examples were produced in total.

This Ferrari 400 GT was first registered on 28th August 1979 and is finished in the most attractive colour combination of Silver with black leather interior. Showing a mere 56,559 kilometres, judging by the condition of the bodywork and interior, we believe this to be genuine.

Buyers should be aware that this lot has formed part of a large private collection and has been stored for some time in a heated environment, as such, some remedial works may be required. All EU taxes and duties have been paid on this lot.

Supplied with Italian registration papers, this elegant GT coupe offers its next owner the enviable opportunity to drive one of the most underrated and best value Ferraris money can buy. In addition, the four-up seating arrangement means the whole family can enjoy the ride.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    While at the Classic Car show at the NEC last week I had a quick look over parts of this car.

The auction house were charging £5 a head to get into the viewing area (I understand why as it keeps all the cheapskates and tyre kickers out - which is exactly why I didn't pay to go in !)

Luckily the car was on the perimeter of the stand with its cute rear poking out so I could have a look at the rear and down the sides and it looked pretty good but by no means perfect. I seemed to show the usual dodgy areas like a cruddy edge on the boot lid etc but wasn't half bad really.

Personally I think silver cars look a bit bland (sorry if I've offended anyone - I love all 400's of any colour) and this had fairly mediocre, lifeless paint which didn't help.

Boot was open so I sneakily lifted the false floor covering the spare wheel and there was no tool kit or jack but that was probably to stop people like me nicking it (I wouldn't have but I look the dodgy type so wouldn't blame them for thinking I might).

I'm trying to get my head around the price considering it was left hand drive but being sold in the UK - the market is probably bigger for left hand drive cars due to wider market appeal but not necessarily when sold in the UK.

Puzzled. Need beer !

3. Pyrford Ranger

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks for report Russell indeed it seems a strong price for these generally unloved cars(except by us) not long ago (probably longer than i think)2 400s 1 manual an 1 auto currently for sale at Kent high performance £20k) were bought for £11-12k.

4. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Nice photos and agree need beer, what a gorgeous looking shape the 400 is.
    Always fun to see how wrong (understandably with all the numbers etc) advertisers get the spec wrong.
    Its not a 400GT nor a 400i GT or even a 400GTi its a 400i whatever its a nice looking car.
    Regards
    Alastair

5. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Thanks Alastair - for reminding us that whatever the merits of this particular one the 400 is still a beautiful car. All on this section of the forum should endorse that!

To return to Rob's point about values, obviously I have some (known and declared) interest in this discussion. Only factual comment I would add is that the 400 manual you mentioned was sold at auction to Forza 288 who - as I recall - did a quite a bit of work to bring the car up to scratch and then sold it for a value reflecting that to their client. I met the buyer at Wilton House this year - he seemed very happy and the car looked lovely....

6. Pyrford Ranger

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Nick, indeed that manual was up for around £16-17k with those guys On an advert I believe and went very quickly! the auto at Kent, £20k is still for sale 6 months later

7. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Hello Nick, Rob
    The 400 manual wheres that? any detail? love to know as theres only three UK right hand drive on the planet out of the 21 produced that I have ever heard of.
    Regards
    Alastair

8. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Hi Rob,

The Forza 400 manual was posted for sale @ £25k+ (I have the web page saved down) although I don't know what the actual sale price was (it went quickly).

Have less visibility on the Kent High Performance 400 autos - there were two for sale until recently, a blue one @ £20k (which has gone) and a black one originally @ £20 now reduced to £18k ...not sure which one you're referring to...

9. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Hi Alastair,

Sorry, was replying to Rob's post when yours went in...

As far as I know there were 28 (maybe 29) RHD manual 400s imported to the UK of which a rough estimate is of 10-15 still on the road.
    The 400 manual I was describing in previous posts is now on the south coast.
    There is another that I know of maintained by QV who also maintain mine.
    Jonathan Tremlett I think knows of some others.

Paul Dubois of the F400 Club may be able to cast some light on this matter...

10. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    I am guessing but by all accounts there could be only three UK rhd 400GTs in existence including mine. Not that I will ever sell it. (unless someone offers me a bevy of beuties and a few million dollars)

11. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Alastair - sorry one reflection...maybe you are referring to 400 manuals vs 400i manuals.
    The car I mentioned is a carb 400 manual.
    The numbers I am quoting also include 400i manuals as well.
    Hope that clarifies.

12. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Again we crossed - yes the car sold by Forza must be another one of the three.

13. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    No probs Nick
    I am pretty sure the number was 21 UK RHD cars of the 147 400GTs built by that I mean 147 Carbueretted manuals to clarify.
    In the lat 10 years I have only come accross 2 other 400GT manual RHDs but would be good to know where the rest are if any. Is yours a 400GT?
    Regards
    Alastair

14. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Thanks Alastair.
    My car is an injection model - 400i manual.
    In terms of carb 400GT manual RHDs, I've seen two in the last two years -
    - one is a silver car that is like my car maintained by QV and has appeared at some Brooklands events,
    - the other is the dark blue car that Rob mentioned on this thread and was refurbished / sold by Forza, which I saw at Wilton House this year...
    ...and then there's yours...
    Best, Nick

15. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    RHD 400GT : 27
    RHD 400i : 28

I know Alastair's car, Tassie's one in Australia, the Silver one maintained by QV, and the 27th and the last living in France owned by british living in Normandy.

I could have others with pictures but without VIN...

16. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
  17. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I drove the Blue one late 2011 before buying my car. At that time it had just been bought by a guy to sell on (he bought and sold a few Ferrari's and owned a couple including a mint Daytona - turned out it was the one Top gear used in one of their daft "dash across Europe" challenges). The 400i was good, just not right for me but he was was a very nice guy who was proud of his Daytona (rightly so !).

Interestingly this 400i had been owned by Mohammed Al Fayed for 20 years and in that time had done just 1200 miles, I suppose those were mainly for MoT purposes and keeping it in decent driving condition. I think the guy wanted £18,995 but would have sold to me for £17,000.

I assume The Ferrari Centre in Kent bought it (probably for less than £17,000), did some of the minor jobs required and marked it up for sale @ £19,995

Coincidentally he also viewed my car the day before I bought it but bid the seller £500.00 less than he was asking so I sneaked in at the last minute and bought it on the spot, giving the guy a cash deposit subject to it passing a new MoT on the day of collection. The car had a current MoT (it had covered 80 miles in 8 months) with 4 months left but spending £45.00 on a new MoT is the best insurance you can have that the cars decent. We took the car to the testing station together and it flew through with just one advisory.

Losing a really good, totally rust free 35,000 mile car for £500.00 seemed crazy to me but was probably the difference between someone buying to sell on and someone buying to keep.

18. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    @Nick : the dark blue 400 you have seen at Wilton House is a 400i : #36805

@Russel : I m scared i haven't saved the ad of the blue one at Ferrari Centre and seem to have disapparead. Hadn't understood and seen that It was the ex. Al Fayed car : #29351

Has anybody saved this ad with pictures ?

19. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Can't remember where I saw the original ad prior to Kent buying the car but I have my own pix which were taken when we test drove it. On my iPhone at the moment but will dig the pix out and send from my pc when next have time.

20. Pyrford Ranger

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi the 25k one i believe was this car.....

http://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2011-10-22/car/ferrari-400i-gt.aspx that was sold for £9k plus fee, that was later sold by QV i think for max £16995 as that was the advert price. then maybe forza did some work and got £25k

http://www.forza288.com/ferrari-400i-gt/

21. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hello

Does anybody have a clear picture of the VIN of #26653 ?

22. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Had anybody seen by his eyes and maybe pictured the VIN plate of the Silver on Black Leather 400i Automatic sold at Silverstone Auctions, wrongly named #26653 as this VIN is a carbs VIN and already used by a 308.
    ??

23. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Yep, I attended the auction, and aware of the anomaly I checked the steeering column, and it was indeed stamped 26653, strangely enough.