Wheels AGAIN!! | FerrariChat

Wheels AGAIN!!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 330Guy, Jul 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    Gentlemen your help is needed. Does anyone within this esteemed group specifically know if 16 inch front Testarossa wheels will fit our beloved 400/412's? Your Kindness is appreciated. D

2. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    My understanding is that front Testarossa wheels will work on a 412. I have a set for mine, but haven't installed them yet. There is a thread on here posted by someone who has used them. Good luck.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    I believe that nothing in the math says that it can't be done on either, but on a 400 = thick, expensive, bolt-on spacers would be needed (so fitting 308 wheels would make more sense).

A 412 uses the same "wheel face flush" design as TR, so might be more practical (or maybe only need a small nudge outboard to accomodate the extra width), but can't recall anyone posting the stock 412 wheel offsets (so someone please post it you've got it, or the thread where it is).

Did someone give you 2 sets of TR 5-lug wheels with lugbolts? ;)

4. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    Yes, I've heard over the last five years that this has been done on some 412's but have not seen it nor personally met anyone whom had switched. I've got to get this horse off her TRX addicted metrics. If TestaRosa front's will do the job let's find out...after all, who doesn't like Redheads?

And I only wish someone gave me a set...thus far I've only seen 'em for sale.

Thanks for all replies. D

5. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    Hey carguy246

I presume you're not fitting those Testi's to a Dino so you have a 400/412 to which you might someday attach those 16 " silver bullets? Should the day arrive might you be so kind as to inform your Fchat brethren. I for one would be grateful. Thanks, D

6. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

I realise that many people want to fit modern wheels and tyres, but for those that are interested new Michelin TRX tyres are available again 240/55VR415 Michelin TRX

i personaly believe that any one that had a bad experience driving on them was probably driving on old rubber (more than ten years old). the occasional laps in supply is an issue but they are available now. (lets not discuss price).

7. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    The wheel pattern is the same, the difference in any Ferrari wheel is the offset, and key to cost then is the bolt length. 400 and 412 have a different offset, the 400/400i are "reverse" with something like a 5mm negative offset...the mid 80's Ferraris (412 and TR) have a significantly positive offset.

I first tried to fit 348 wheels on the 400i (since they look like Ferrari, come at 17" and sell cheap) but I would have needed something like a 2" spacer.

There are several threads on wheel offsets here (including interchangeablility of the TR wheels on 412)--Lee

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific/8361-modern-ferrari-wheel-offsets.html

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yeah, but you'll need 2 TR sets ;)

IMO, you'd be better off investigating putting Mondial (stock or reproduction) wheels on a 412 (may keep the spacer thickness needed limited to a value where more economical bolt-thru spacers can be used -- just a thought...).

PS Next time you have your 412 wheels off, please look on the backside for offset information (sometimes called "ET") and post, if present.

9. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    TR fronts fit all four corners of a 412.

I have four 16" FRONT TR wheels on mine and can run modern tires. You have NO IDEA the difference modern radials make! TRX look cool but a good set of tires reduce road noise, increase grip by a ton and make the car track nice and straight down the highway,

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    So do you still have your old 412 wheels? Can you please look for the offset marking on the back? TIA.

11. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Could you please post a picture of the car with these wheels ?

Thanks
    M

12. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Check some of my other posts- I've posted dozens of images of the car with the TR wheels-Not home right now.

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #13 Steve Magnusson, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/140415806-post1.html

Dug it up for myself -- not bad (but still think the 8" are a little bulky at the front, although having more options for wheel+tire rotation is a plus). Would still like to know the stock 412 offset value as they look shifted outboard a bit, too (even though I prefer the extra bulk of the 8" wheel at the rear, the Polizei here in TX might give you a ticket for that much exposed rear tread ;)). JMOs -- I just want to know the stock 412 wheel offset facts. Have you ever had a look at the general backside clearances with the TR wheels in place? -- i.e., is being a little more outboard a requirement to accommodate the extra wheel width without interference to the suspension bits, or is there plenty of clearance, and keeping the wheel centerlines in the same locations would be no problem with 8" wide wheels?

14. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I know one of our Fchatters has successfully put 328 wheels on his 400 series daily driver. Not sure about TR wheels though.

15. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    Thanks to all and especially Jay for definitively declaring the answer I was seeking. If the additional half inch of width punks the front end stance I'll live with it. My only previous reservation was my concern regarding the significant gross weight difference between 400/412's and the donor 328's. I've convinced myself, falsely perhaps, that due to the TR's higher performance build requirements vs 400/412's substituted wheel failure due to weight or hard cornering seems unlikely. I suppose a tire failure is more likely than any other failure.

So thanks to all for a lively and informative exchange. This is, in my opinion, the greatest advantage of Fchat; allowing owner's to easily exchange information and helpfully resolve the ever so minor occurrences of Fcar ownership.

Driving Daily, D

16. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    You'll be quite surprised at how much quieter the car is on the highway without the TRXs, and of course how effortlessly the car turns in with something grippy like Goodyear Eagle 1s or Michelin Pilots.

17. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #17 Longstone Tyres, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There is always the choice as to weather to stick to the original equipment Ferrari 400 tyres. However the Michelin TRX Tyres are not just a fashion item. their performance is exceptional. the rim and tyre combination gives the tyre the ability to absorb an extraordinary amount of vibration for such a shallow side wall and it gives exceptional directional stability.
    I would not dispute that modern tyres give less road noise. (tyre noise is easily remedied with more revs and listening to that engine, or turning up the stereo). however the handling of the TRX and longevity is fantastic and perfectly suited to your car. I would sugest if you don't like the way The TRX's you have driven on handled, i would suggest the rubber was old and perished.
    The Michelin 240/55VR415 TRX is not for everyone, but i think it is good to have the choice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Radiation

Radiation Karting

Mar 5, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I'm curious to know if there is a reason one cannot just buy any sort of aftermarket wheels in the correct bolt pattern and offset. The bolt pattern seems common and they make many styles to suit the car.

19. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, it's prohibited under Ferrari ownership laws :)

But seriously, most people want to preserve the look of the car with original wheels, which you can really only do with a Ferrari wheel.

The options as I understand it for an original look are are:
    1: Find some 16" 412 wheels ( they exist, and a rare)
    2: Use 16" 308 wheels ( copies readliy available) with a spacer or
    3: find 4 Testarossa 5 stud front 16" wheels ( also hard to find)

There's no reason why you couldnt use a suitable aftermarket wheel, it would function just the same.

M

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    A week later and no one can post the stock 412 wheel offset dimension? No one has an original 412 wheel to look at (or is it unmarked on the backside)?

21. Radiation

Radiation Karting

Mar 5, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I can understand the reasoning behind that of course. There is so many styles and varieties of wheels that I don't think it would be difficult to find something of suitible style of course.

But Im glad I saw this thread or I would have never known unless the car was parked in my driveway.

22. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I really don't think you can beat the dished starfish wheels.

23. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Longstone is pushing to sell more TRX tires for nearly $700 per tire. TRX's were a good balance of wear rate and comfort in the '70's. I drove nearly 20,000 miles on them in my 400i. They are phenomenal in torrential rain and there is a video of me finishing a rally in 4" of snow.

I priced new TRX's and they just don't make sense on a cost basis. I bought four F-copy 16" wheels for less than two TRX tires, I opted for Falken tires but now I have several choices at reasonable prices. The total deal paid for the wheels on first pass.
    Ken

24. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I realise that people wince at the cost of the Michelin TRX Tyres . I am not one who thinks that it is fair to make up a price for a tyre that you think suits the cost of the car. this is irrelavent.

The 240/55VR415 Michelin TRX is the price that it is because they are exceptional tyres made in small batches. They are also made by Michelin who's quality control is second to non. They are only a little more than modern tyres for top notch cars.

A car like a ferrari is exceptional because it is made out of exceptional components. Ferrari use Exceptional tyres.

I respectfully suggest that the TRX is not expensive for what it is, but accept that a set of TRX tyres makes for a big cheque to write. Our retail price is £ 319.79 at present. (this price is + UK VAT inside the European Union.) However we don't charge for delivery of the TRX to most of the world. so in some where like Japan it would only cost £ 319.79 and that tyre would be on your door step in about a week.

25. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    My motto...Safety 1st, Performance 2nd. You'll be glad you made that choice at a buck 50 :D

+1. It is extremely rare to have to return a Michelin or a Bridgestone for manufacturing defects. But certainly, newer hi-perf. lower profile tires will yield greater skidpad results.
    I use Leatherique on my TRX's & they stick like gum balls (at the recommendation of their chemist). I buy it by the gallon :D