Ferrari 400i Cooling system. | FerrariChat

Ferrari 400i Cooling system.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Peggi, Aug 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peggi

Peggi Rookie

Aug 12, 2013
    Hello there, I am helping a friend of my with one of his ferraris a 400i. I have replaced the thermostat and I found out that the expansion tank was totally rusted inside so it didn't allow the water from the radiator go in to the tank so it was really high pressure in the cooling system resulting in a leaking hose. I fixed that.

Heres the question, I have read some but I not totally sure as it is a little bit defferent cooling system then a regular car.

Whats the correct way to do it with the cooling system? I can not fill the radiator too the top and whats the procedure to make it work properly? :)

Thanks!

Best Regards Peggi

2. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi Peggi,
    I just went through this situation.
    Pull the over flow tank, take it to a radiator shop and have them fix the leaks.
    The radiator shop charged me $96.00.
    Reinstall.
    Fill the radiator to the bottom of the over flow tube. Put the pressure cap on the over flow tank and the other non pressure cap on the radiator.

Evidently the tank from a Jag XJ-6 is the same part. Others will probably comment on that.
    Greg

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 Ashman, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had Vantage Motors replace my overflow tank during a complete cooling system overhaul 4 years ago and he was able to use the Jaguar part for less than half the price of the Ferrari part. Searching around recently, I see that a tank from a 1985 XJ6 looks like a replacement and it is only $167 at Autohaus Arizona:

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I noticed a while back when you mentioned using the XK tank that they are normally mounted horizontal, I'm assuming you went vertical on this one.

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    John

That looks nothing like mine. I'll post a picture of my old rusty one later.

Aidan

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hmmm, I never actually saw the old one out of the car so you could be right. I called to ask Michael at Vantage which one he used but he is on vacation. The XJ6 was my guess but maybe it isn't the best fit.

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
  8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Try either applying air pressure or slipping a flexible wire down the tube that the radiator feeds to.

Yes it is. Normally, the pressure cap goes on the radiator & the non-pressure cap goes on the header (expansion) tank. It's the opposite on the 400i (i.e., the 'non-pressure' cap goes on the radiator & the pressure cap goes on the header tank).

Let me see if I can make out what you're asking...
    Refer to the Owners Manual:

http://www.400register.com/manuals/assets/400i-owners-82.pdf

Pg. 70-71 shows a pictorial diagram of the coolant flow through the system, including the radiator. It also shows the level that the coolant should be kept to in the radiator (15mm or a little under 5/8" below the top of the radiator). There should be a small air gap present when looking into the fill neck, don't fill it to the very top.

9. Peggi

Peggi Rookie

Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks for the answers guys!

Will try this and see how it ends! My friend bought me a orginal tank so it wont be any problems I think :) hehe

10. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    #10 aidanparte, Aug 13, 2013
    I couldn't find my old one, which is a bit concerning, but here is a picture of the new one from the Superformance UK online store.

11. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    #11 aidanparte, Aug 13, 2013
  12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Unless you are overheating, coolant should neve go into the external reservoir. You only fill the radiator to 15 or 18 mm from bottom of fil neck. The very large top tank is the actual expansion tank. I think this is why the caps are reverse of normal where expansion is into the small tank and radiator is liquid full.
    Ken

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Ken;

Definitely check your OM on Pg. 71 & you'll see in the engine pictorial diagram that the coolant level should be 15mm below the top of the radiator. Initially after I bought my car & scanned through the OM, I thought it was 15mm below the top of the filler neck tube going into the radiator chamber (but that was actually on the low side). At some point after that, I had also removed my header (expansion) tank, cleaned it up, & reinstalled it. There was a very small amount of coolant in the header tank.
    I read somewhere in Fchat that coolant will expand into the header tank but will get sucked back into the radiator as it cools down. When everything is said & done, with engine cold, the expansion tank is 'supposed' to be dry. But from a physics point, there is no way the dip tube in the header tank can draw every last drop of coolant the way it's set up (it's like a milkshake, you got to turn that glass around every which way to suck up every last drop :D ).

14. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Aidan, notice the different orientation on the input side of the dip tubes :confused:
    That's not going to make for a super-clean routing of the overflow hose :(

15. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Been running a pressure cap on my 365 GTC/4 for the last 12 years. Never had a problem. My overflow tank if just fine, and I have the correct 'non pressure' cap for the radiator. When set up in the factory manner, it always leaked at the (non pressure) radiator cap. I got tired of messing with it and just put a 12 psi cap on the radiator. Motor operates at 90 degrees C on a hot day, in traffic.

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I have to say that when I removed & reinstalled my header tank, I switched the caps around (put the pressure cap on the radiator) & drove it for a while
    & never saw a difference in the temp. gauge or how it ran.
    This is why I repeatedly ask the question for the reason of Ferrari's engineering behind this odd set-up :confused:
    That is, odd with regards how the rest of the auto industry does it.
    In any event, I switched it back to the original set-up so that I don't void the warranty :D :D :D

17. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    #17 aidanparte, Aug 14, 2013
    Bruce

Yes, the incorrect spout orientation was a nuisance. Had to get some new tubing [I know red is not the original color before everyone starts commenting!].

Aidan

18. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Aidan,
    I was going to request that pic but didn't want to inconvenience you.
    But hey, while you're replacing rusty bits, how 'bout replacing that rusty fan shroud :D lol :D
    That certainly is a purdy header tank!

19. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    That was the last photo I ever post of my car.

20. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hey, just razzin' ya...that's why I included LOL & grin faces.
    The fact that you unloaded a chunk of change says a lot, I'm sure at some point you'll get to it (& I'm figuring paint is all it'll need...no big deal). All's good :cool:

21. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Bruce

I know your comment was in jest. I didn't know how to add the wink to mine.

Do you happen to know the paint code for the radiator shroud? I'm moving its restoration to the top of my list of jobs on the car.

Aidan

22. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Aidan;

I don't know the paint code for it or any other sub-body/frame part, maybe a new thread on this should be started for future reference.

Ok, I'm going to include all the faces that I've found that works on this forum (& not all forums are equal). Put your cursor to each face & within a couple of seconds, the name of it comes up...make note of it.
    Then you should click on the quote button of this post, & in the next window, you'll noticed the characters used to make these faces (it's all code...).

:)

:(

;)

:eek:

:p

:D

:cool:

:mad:

:rolleyes:

:confused:

:eek: Dave & I's favorite :)

These work on other forums but not here, most of these have motion coded into them:

:love:
    :stupid:
    :bulb:
    :sick:
    :cry:
    :beer:
    :tapemouth:
    :facepalm:
    :finger: :eek: no explanation needed here :D
    LOL--Laughing yellow face jumping up & down
    ROFL--Rolling over laughing

:D I seriously feel more humor is needed on forums :cool: