46567 For Sale on EBAY | FerrariChat

46567 For Sale on EBAY

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SCousineau, Aug 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kart

kart Karting

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean W
    I am the current owner. If you have any questions, or want to hear the car's story, let me know.

2. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    Do you know what happened to the original V12? The motor is a good portion of the value in a 400i.

3. kart

kart Karting

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean W
    The car was recovered with the original V12 motor missing. The chassis was then sold to an exotic car dealership in St. Louis where they began the conversion. The car came into my possession with the V12 motor already gone.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    When it was for sale on eBay through GLB Motorworks of St. Louis, 20 October 2009, they asserted that the salvage title was due to a blown engine. But when GLB put it back on eBay, 05 January 2010, they said it was a theft recovery salvage title.

Can you clarify what happened? It's pretty clear to me that the car was stolen - but did the thieves grenade the engine, or just remove it from the car and keep it?

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Was kind of surprised the cold air intake wasn't configured the same way (routed up to behind the daylight flasher), that thing's gonna suck up a lot of exhaust heat. :eek:

6. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Is the car registered in California? If so, what was your experience with that process?

7. kart

kart Karting

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean W
    The car is not currently registered in California. The rules vary county to county in California, but the car most likely will have to be taken to the referee station.

8. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    The referee says disqualified for lack of integrity!

There will never be any reasonable excuse for gruesome molestation of these cars unless there are simply no motors or spare parts to do the work.

Last I checked plenty so go and build yourself a super mega kit car with great mpg and really fast etc probably rubbish in the end and leave us all in peace.

9. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Hi Sean. This is not a criticism or anything like that. But I think you would find it very difficult to get a California registration for this car, if it does not already have a Bureau of Automotive Repair approval in its history. There was another member of this forum who tried to bring a 400i in very good condition into Cali from out of state and, even though his very able Ferrari mechanic got it to pass the actual sniffer test, the Cali registration process also includes a closed-room test of emissions that the car would not pass. And each time you undergo this test, the lab charges iirc $3500. This owner eventually had to sell the car out of the state. If I were selling this car I would tell any California bidders that they should research the Cali registration process before bidding. Or better yet, that they probably should not bid at all. Just my $0.02.

10. kart

kart Karting

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean W
    Wow, that is a terrible story! The car does have history of being a California car as it was originally imported to Los Angeles. However, due to the conversion it is a more difficult process. That is why i have a paragraph in the listing telling the buyer to check with their local county regarding motor swaps. Thank you for the advice, it is always appreciated.

11. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    If the car has a Cali registration in its past then it will probably be OK. This means at least that the car's VIN is already in the DMV computer. If it has good catalytic convertors, the LT1 with the GM TPI and ECU should easily pass Smog Check II. If the car still has the BAR plate on the door that should satisfy the test station, without a trip to the referee.

My experience with The Powers That Be has been fairly extensive, but successful. I bought my '83 about 18 months ago. It still had a Cali title, although it had not been registered since 2003. It had also passed through the hands of an owner in the state of Ohio, but because he didn't change the registration this didn't matter. I live in the East Bay, where Smog Check II is required for registration. I got over that hurdle in June or July of 2012, and thought I would be good for two years. But the DMV came back at me again in April of this year. April was the car's original month of registration, and apparently this means that April will always be the month for the annual renewal. Again I passed the test. Now I am good for two years for sure. I am glad, because both of my rounds with Smog Check have been very time consuming and a little expensive.

Just to let you know, it can be done.

12. kart

kart Karting

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean W
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNHH3uLt17k]Ferrari 400i with Chevy V8 (REV and Walkaround) - YouTube[/ame]

A little video for those who might be interested.

13. pricebill

pricebill Rookie

Oct 15, 2012
    #14 pricebill, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. kart

kart Karting

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean W
    Hmm, that is extremely strange. The car is titled as a 1985 Ferrari 400i, and has a 1995 Camero V8 in it. The DMV must of messed up when the were doing the data entry.

15. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well that helps the car by being 10 years closer to exemption, doesn't it?

16. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    #17 SCousineau, Aug 16, 2013
  17. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I have some questions about the car and have written to Sean via eBay a couple of times with no response. Considering buying the car but need to hear about mechanics, body, and electrical.

Sean, call or write back.

Thanks.

18. kart

kart Karting

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean W
    Hey, all ebay questions and call have been replied to. Sorry for the delay, i have been at work all day.

Thanks,

Sean

19. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    It looks like you have some active bids on the car Sean! Hopefully all works well for buyer and seller!

20. GOB

GOB Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Panama
    Full Name:
    Gus
    Would you mind sharing more details regarding the car? Things such as:
    1- 1995 engine with 20K miles?!
    2- working air conditioner?
    3- headlights work properly?
    4- which gauges need work? I noticed that the video has an extremely high oil pressure reading and it seems that the tach is "slightly optimistic".
    5- has the car been in an accident?
    6- any mechanical issues (engine/tranny)?
    7- suspension: any work done or shocks replaced recently?
    8- brakes: when was the last time they were serviced?
    9- any pending maintenance to be done?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

21. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    #22 SCousineau, Aug 19, 2013
  22. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I bought it and getting it to Palm Beach where I'll do a comprehensive assessment of all things mechanical as well as cosmetic in both the interior and exterior. Initially, the plans are to give it the TLC it needs in replacing worn out items and upgrading the interior followed by a probable re-paint.

I don't expect to see the actual car itself for a couple of weeks, at least, as I am traveling overseas soon and certain the car will not arrive before my departure... I won't get ahead of myself, but do intend on keeping the car for a while whilst ensuring that it looks it's best at all times.

23. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Congratulations, I hope you'll enjoy it. Please keep us posted about the car, how well the conversion was done and any problems encountered. While many will dismiss it as a bastard I see little downside.

24. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Same here as to downsides but I don't want to open a can of worms in this forum just yet and address that notion now since I am not here to make waves, only to go with the flow and learn as much as I can... But, I do plan to take this car to another level in terms of being the best it can possibly be and will update the forum on the car when developments come about.