48611 400i with twin turbochargers for sale | FerrariChat

48611 400i with twin turbochargers for sale

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by DaveO_48, Dec 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    damn that is the coolest 400i! A real sleeper too...:)

3. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Clean, clean. clean.

It's funny to me that the purist won't want that car. ... Not wishing to start a fight.

I have never seen a turbo'd car.

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks pretty nice if the technical inspection checks out. Note that it cannot be sold in California because of the modifications.

Also, the mileage shown of 3,388 is not accurate and may be since the engine rebuild and addition of the turbochargers. When the car was offered for sale in 1999, there was no mention that I recorded of those modification, the car had a California BAR sticker and was described as having 28,520 miles. Asking price then was $39,900 so it must have been in pretty terrific condition!

Will be VERY interesting to see what the high bid on this is and whether it sells.

5. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    No information about the turbo-charging. I see lots of plumbing, where are the fuel distributors? What is next to the brake booster? Is this part of an injection system?
    For what this must have cost you'd think they could've managed a better intake location.
    The car looks nice enough but I can't help thinking the engine could be a very expensive grenade.

6. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    #6 DaveO_48, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    The fuel distributors appear to be on either side of the engine at the firewall. The turbochargers are underneath somewhere.

7. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    The more I look at it, the turbochargers are at the back of the engine compartment under the fuel distributors? Maybe there are intercoolers behind the bumper? It does look like pressurized intake tubing below the cabin air intakes. That places the turbos back below the brake booster and the battery. The more I look at this, the more questions I have, like where are the waste gates? It would be interesting to get a look at the underside of the front section.
    It does say that the trans has been replaced with an overdrive variety. Interesting drive line modifications.

8. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No fuel distributors, its running electronic injection ( you can see the fuel rails ) and air flow meters just after the air cleaners ( the square silver thing ).
    Lots of work has gone in to this, it would be a hoot, :)
    Edit, photo also shows packs / no distributor for the ignition .
    M

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Very impressive!

10. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Looks in great condition with lots of nice shiny parts. I'd love to know how much power it makes. 400 bhp would be handy.

11. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    I am amazed. Simply stunned.

Those intercoolers look tiny, but you have to figure 400hp would be a starting point for this beast.

Love the idea to go with an overdrive transmission, too. Does this mean whoever built it might have an out-of-the-box solution to the three-speed?

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    "That is a lot of work! The Catalyst suggest somebody wanted it to pass emissions at some point. "

I'd think it would easily pass the emission test given the electronic management system.
    Apparently can't pass only because "modified", regardless that it is likely cleaner. I feel bad for whoever did all this work and can't register the damn car. Bureaucracy at work.
    The selling dealer ought to provide more info..

13. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    It would be great if the owner who did all this stuff came on here to tell us about all the modifications... I'd love to know about the power steering, AC, and transmission mods, plus all the engine work of course.

14. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    There are two possibilities with respect to the California emissions angle. One is that the car is registered to a rural address that doesn't have the biennial Smog Check requirement at registration renewal time. If this is the case then the owner would have been able to renew his or her registration with the mods in place, with no regulatory intervention. The other possibility is that the car's home address is in a Smog Check jurisdiction but the owner has found a Smog Check testing station that will give the car a Pass on the visual inspection. This is possible because the gray market status of these cars means that there is no single set of emissions control equipment that is subject to the no tampering rule that applies to non-gray market cars.

The problem for the dealer conducting this auction is that every car must pass Smog Check at resale time, and it is the responsibility of the seller to produce the passing paperwork. This dealer just doesn't want to put its license or certificate or whatever at risk by selling a car that is so obviously tampered with, even if it could pass the Smog Check sniffer test.

I agree that a car with electronic port injection, a computer, an O2 sensor and cats would have no problem passing '85 emissions standards. I believe Detroit makes might still have been using carbs on some models in '85.

15. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    Now it's on Bring A Trailer!

16. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Very clean looking car!

17. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    would the average F tech be able to service all these mods; I mean is this a F mechanic basket or would you also need someone that is a "tuner"; obviously I am thinking if I bought this car and I have a F tech here in Atlanta is this something that almost no one would ever see on a Ferrari, especially when some component craps out, and it will, just a matter of time I suspect....would he know what to do with it. Guess I should have him review the ad and get his take which I know would be.....PASS!lol Doc

18. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Perhaps someone( a lot closer than I am) from here could suggest that the owner do exactly that.

19. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Intercoolers look rather small, probably robbed from a factory turbod car. Looks to have turbonetics turbos on it, would like to know the size.

Neat piece

20. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    @ dogdoc: The aftermarket coil pack ignition and fuel injection are fairly new to the market, but fairly common, hot rod components. If you get the brand name of each of these systems, this would point you in the direction of technical help for dealing with them. The aftermarket injection systems use laptop computers to tune their fuel/air map. The coil packs would also help with tuning, because they're computer controlled and essentially infinitely adjustable. Atlanta is in the heart of Nascar country so I expect there are plenty of hot rod guys in the area that you could turn to. The turbos, on the other hand, fall under the jurisdiction of the import tuners. Turbos are still very uncommon on Detroit V8 hobby cars. There's a huge amount of knowledge and information about turbos on the web and also, no doubt, in the import tuner shops in your area. Assuming the tranny is a GM unit, it would be well known at any tranny shop. The rest of the car is standard Ferrari. And yeah, it is likely that a Ferrari guy would advise to stay away from a turbo setup on a 30 year old engine. There was a question mark I had about the ad, where it mentions forged pistons had been fitted. I would be very surprised if all Ferraris did not have forged pistons from the factory. I wonder if the builder did not swap in some lower compression pistons, to mitigate pre-ignition problems, and that this is the reason for the piston swap, not merely to swap in forged for cast units. In any event forged pistons are good in a high compression or boost environments because when exposed to pre-ignition problems they melt rather than crack, like hypereutectic or regular cast pistons will do. Melting pistons are not pleasant to think about, but it does happen in power-adder engines (boosted or nitrous) when the fuel curve cannot keep up. The turbos on this car look very tiny for a 4.8, so I'm guessing the boost is low and would not stress a Ferrari engine. Our engines are really built very strong, compared to other stock blocks.

Sorry for the ramble. I was just waiting for my wife, and now she's calling me to go look at the Christmas lights in the neighborhood. Merry Christmas!

21. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...where is your sense of adventure, seriously...if this were a twin turbo FF I would be a little leery but the 400 is a very basic design, turbocharging has been around since the 2nd world war so hardly cutting edge technology. The average performance shop with a dyno can tune ....yes it's a modified Ferrari, but it still a car. BTW, considering the ponderous nature of the car (would not call the 400i a quick car) the mods make a lot of sense.

22. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    You lost me after "coil packs"...............just had to say that, just kidding, yeah I am sure there is someone here the question is that it may require MORE than 1 shop at any one time; the F tech for the F stuff and maybe a tuner for the other. I would want to know that I can "one stop shop" and get it done! Thnx for the all the info; I just about screamed when I saw the pics; to me its GORGEOUS! Doc