For sale: 400i (USA) | FerrariChat

For sale: 400i (USA)

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by erwin123, Jan 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #3 samsaprunoff, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just adding documentation...

It looks pretty clean overall... I love this series in Silver, Grey, etc! All I note is a damaged front bumper (appears bent in the center), a damaged instrument pod bezel, a ill-fitting after market stereo system, and some staining on the back carpets. That being said, it is nice to see that the books, tools, etc are all there.

Cheers,

Sam

1983 Ferrari 400I Auto
    Color: Silver Exterior with Tan Leather Interior
    Mileage: 45901 Miles
    VIN: ?
    Chassis: 44699
    Asking: $39900 USD
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    There seems to be some Series 1 stuff mixed in on this one…the ventilation control switches, & the rear dial light inset painted black. Maybe the center console bezel was damaged from the change-out of the vent. switches.
    The horns in the engine bay :confused:
    I'd expect this car to be pretty right for this kind of $$.

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Offered for sale in March, 2009 by Bobileff with 700 fewer miles and an asking price of $22,500 with "some cosmetic needs". I would characterize an asking price of $39.9K as "optimistic", to put it charitably.

5. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    This car has an unusual treatment of the headlining. I haven't seen this before. It is clean but not what I would want to see. That and the stereo, the damaged instrument housing, and the front bumper makes me wonder how a serious prospect would feel about the rather high price? Wouldn't it have been reasonable to correct these defects before promoting this car with such a steep price?

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #7 Ashman, Jan 21, 2014
    The headlining is the tweedy fabric that was offered, although I haven't seen it covering the overhead lights console, which on mine was covered in black leather, the same as for the dash and console (see below). The sunvisors look a bit "puffy".

7. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Interior looks to have been re-sprayed, busted dash pieces, goofy(cheap) headliner, mismatched parts according to another poster. Nasty bumper.
    That's what I can pick out in photos in one minute.
    I don't see the value.
    Don't for sale threads belong elsewhere?

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Meant to say rear 'tail' lights :eek:

I have the tweed headliner as well, although my overhead console leather is the same color as the seats, etc. (tan) but my dash is dark brown. Never saw the overhead console in tweed before but my guess is that it was delivered that way.

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Post # 5 indicates $38.9 K as "optimistic." Currently listed at $28.9 K. Is it a better bargain at this price given its issues?

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    It's say $28.9k is still a bit too much. The engine bay doesn't look that bad, but the interior and exterior look way too ragged.

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you, Brian. I thought so too. I have to admit that an older Ferrari that is more machine than cyborg has some appeal for me.

12. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    This sub-forum has a long history of discussing current market examples in great detail.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    So, has anyone on this forum test driven this car?

14. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #15 OttoB, Aug 9, 2016
    Hemmings.com provides a nice variety of cool cars for sale that, when time permits, I recommend checking out since there is quite the number of drool-worthy vehicles available for sale.

As you can see, this car has once again been offered for sale some 2 years after the previous time it was listed (per this very same thread on it already) and here is the link:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ferrari/400i/1853568.html

Listed at what appears to be a competitive price for $38,000? Anyone with more information about this car?

15. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    This is my car. I had it listed with in the ads section here but it generated very little serious interest so I placed an ad on Hemmings. So far, lots of calls but nobody has come to see the car. Next stop BAT, which seems to be very successful for real car people and legitimate buyers.

Klaus has seen the car in person and can give his views. I bought it because it was the first Ferrari I have found where I could verify mileage, ownership, service, repairs, history, etc all the way back to new. Unfortunately, my wife and I just bought a new house with a 3-car garage and I have 6 cars, a motorcycle, 8 surfboards, and various other toys. Something has to give.

In my opinion, it's an extraordinary example of a really nice, original 400i with documentation back to importation. Always in SoCal and absolutely no rust anywhere. CA BAR certified and passed smog with flying colors. Brand new TRX tires from Longstone (highly recommended), rebuilt trains, rebuilt brake booster, replaced actuators all around, replaced fuel accumulator, rebuilt switches, tune up, and the list goes on. Great driver, fair price.