Rod Stewart 1983 400i | FerrariChat

Rod Stewart 1983 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 512BLU, Feb 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512BLU

512BLU Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Spring Texas
    Full Name:
    G F O
    I have read a brief thread concerning a 400i that was once owned by Rod Stewart. It was a black 400i with a Straman convertible conversion and auctioned last summer (Vin 43385). I have also heard about a few other 400 i's that also make the claim ".....Owned by Rod Stewart...." Is there actually more than one of these cars (400i) out there claiming to be owned by him? Or only one? Are there any actual documents that exist to prove this claim? Any articles in magazines, etc?

2. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    I know you have to wonder at all these slightly dodgy claims of ex owners, it makes us honest guys mad. I mean my 400gt which I got from Steve McQueen was actually recommended to me by Shiekh Abdulla Al Arabia who was introduced to me by Elton John who I ocassionaly teach piano, during the lesson I got a call from Robert De Niro an old friend who claimed that he also owned my car!

I couldn't really believe all of these guys owned my car so I was thinking about selling it for normal money, however it did stike me strange when I purchased the car from McQueen there was a film script in the boot a hubble bubble pipe in the back , a piano tuning fork and some ridiculous starry glasses, and more film scripts entitled Taxi driver!
    all good fun
    regards
    Alastair

3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    :)

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You're quite fortunate that, with that list of former owners, you didn't find some other artifacts that might not have been so innocuous! ;)

5. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    LMAO!!! Jq.

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I have Pete Towndsend's 79 400ai. complete with letter. after owning it since 07. it made the Ferrari shop. it had lots of small stuff. al done nw. car has 9600 actual miles wit new top and interior. drives and like new. needs a repaint. deep blue with saddle top and interior

7. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Mine was owned by JFK. Beat that!

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    keep them coming. I never checked the history of the other four

9. oofazi

oofazi Karting

Apr 13, 2013
    Salisbury UK
    Mine was owned by Abdullah Al Thani, Qatari Royal Family and Qatari govt. minister after completing officer training in Sandhurst, then owned by none other than Chris Rea, (complete with correspondence) ;-))))

10. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

Anybody know what the latest status of the Shah of Iran 365 GT4 is these days ?

Regards,

Ramin

11. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Hi Mitchell
    Now that is cool, coincidently I met Pete Thownsend in Canne slast year at a classic yacht regatta he ownes a very nice Fife designed yacht called 'Eva' if I get to meet him again will mention the car is in good hands.
    Regards
    Alastair

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Pretty sure it is the same old car making the rounds of the auctions with sellers hopeful to cash in on mod Rod's looong ago ownership.
    I saw it 15 or so years ago being peddled at a Kruse auction. It was looking a bit scruffy then. If this is indeed a Straman conversion I don't understand their supposed reputation as the best of the cut cars.
    Celebs must chuckle at the interest their cast off belongings get.

13. 512BLU

512BLU Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Spring Texas
    Full Name:
    G F O
    I am curious if this is the same car that you saw a few years back. What color was the 400i that you saw? Where was it?

14. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #14 Jedi, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    My 365 came with a letter of the previous owner, I can still read the name (Enzo) but there is no way to see the surname... there is a big scratch on the paper... maybe starts with F ?!?
    does anybody know who was he ?
    :)

16. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Enzo Fernandez?

17. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #17 It's Ross, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    It was black, represented as RS' car. A gigantic photocopy of title in his name was displayed with the car. Seen a the ACD fest Kruse auction, 1997. 20,000 miles claimed
    Just found a picture I took then. Definitely the same car, sitting down too low in back even then.

18. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thank you ! now I know and can claim my car was owned by the glorious Enzo Fernandez :) !

19. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    The auction house stated milage over 100,000 when last sold to California so could be the same car. Info still on auction house site (actually on two different auction house sites for the unsuccessful and successful auctions).

20. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    No way that car has done 80k miles. It has languished in the hands of speculators for at least a decade and a half. I'd be surprised to see 1000 miles accumulated.

21. dinolvr

dinolvr Rookie

Dec 6, 2007
    Hi there...I own the Rod Stewart 400i....I bought the car at the Auctions America by RM sale in Burbank Ca in August 2013....the car came with a lot of documentation including photo copies of title in his name along w photos. The car had been sitting in a museum for a number of years.
    Best regards.

22. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
  23. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    smoking from the right bank

24. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Mine was owned by Al Fayed for nearly 20 years. Ergo Princess Diana and Doddi Fayed must have used it....

25. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Don't wash the seats