21341 back on the market | FerrariChat

21341 back on the market

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by alastairhouston, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    #1 alastairhouston, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello All
    Aye shes back on the market, promise no moaning this time! Needs must. I have lowered the price although there was interest there wasnt a que at the door iether.
    Driving fantastic up to Glencoe skiing last week no traffic and the symphonic sound through the Scottish glens doesnt come any better.
    Regards
    Alastair
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Looks great, hope you can't sell it... until you no longer need to.

Seriously, best of luck. If I still lived in Blighty I'd have it like a shot. If I had the cash!

Aidan

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Alastair,

That is a very nicely prepared brochure on the car, I hope that you get your asking price quickly.

Just curious though. The engine was fully rebuilt at 48,000 miles and yet it needed an engine out service after only a further 28,000 miles to replace the timing chain, bearings and rebuild the oil and water pump. This seems like a very short mileage interval for these parts to need replacement or rebuilding. Do you know what Mr. Read's idea of a "full engine rebuild" was?

It would be great to see someone with your sense of stewardship take over this nice looking car.

4. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Good man Aidan
    thanks for the words, all well and regards from blighty (cold windy and wet as you may have heard of late but on the odd bluebird day cannae whak it!)
    Regards
    Alastair

5. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Thanks John
    yep will see how I get on with the interest.

On the engine rebuild at 48 000 miles it was under the expertise of Roseneath engineerings Phil Stafford and was a full rebuild, the man was a master I have to say god bless him.

On the engine out after 28 000 miles bearings went on the oil pump unfortunately the oil and waterpump bearings are not accessible with the engine in the car so out she came, at around 300000 miles Ferrari recommend the timing chain be replaced albeit mine had no stretch whatsoever I changed it anyway along with all the bearings. As Phil mentioned at the time when you take an engine out there are things you should do while its out dependant on mileage.
    Regards
    Alastair

6. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Apologies

timing chain replacement recommendation workshop manual is 30 000 miles or 50 000 kilometers

7. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Best of luck Alastair...she's a beauty and, as you well know, worth far more than your asking price...she's what, like one of 147 built ?

hopefully, someone who understands that will get in touch with you.

all the best,

brett

8. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Gorgeous car Alastair, not too far from me I lived in West Kilbride as a child.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- but add a shot of the rear tailights!

10. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Thanks Brett
    your a master of engineering. Yep on the numbers of the 147 400GT built 27 right hand drive only 10 known left.
    Cheers
    Alastair

11. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Thanks , jings you came from West Kilbride good golf course, my sister Susie Mitchel lived there too! By the way theres another guy from West Kilbride who has a few cars three 246 dinos a F40, 355, 550 and can you believe it he actually drives around in an Audi estate thats my definition of madness!!!!!
    Regards
    Alastair

12. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    #12 alastairhouston, Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks Steve
    Heres the tail lights, they are ok but not perfect as there are a couple of hairline cracks on the sides of the lenses nice and shiny though, I cleaned them all up before refitting when doing the back fuel tanks etc.
    Regards
    Alastair

13. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I'm still gutted you have to sell her !!!

14. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi Alastair,
    You don't mention in your history of the car that it was featured in Auto Italia magazine's 400 buyers' guide back in November 1999. Some people - me included - would see this as a selling point. The car was black back then, with two rear fog lights and an additional reversing light beneath the rear bumper. There's a good photo of Roberto Giordanelli trying to get the car to slide!
    Best, David

15. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Me too Russ but ime going to be a big boy now and not greet, in any case I will be able to use your 365 while your playing with your other car we can both drive down to Monaco on a booze cruise? ( I will do the womanizing bit)
    Regards
    Alastair

16. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Thanks David
    Waw forgot about that indeed I should mention that in the blurb wish I could get a copy of the magazine for interest.
    Indeed I bought the car with the fog and reverse lights got them to take them off as the reverslight was an aftermarket job, cleaned up the back look. I am an expert in making the car slide by the way, its really easy just drive it normally in any rain at all!!! not for the faint hearted the power needs to go down gingerly, in the dry however magnificent.
    Regards
    Alastair

17. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Now THATS a plan !

18. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Voila David spot on thanks for that

How good is that, modern technology even for buying a out of print specialized auto mag is really amazing my bid is in.

Will be interesting to learn about the guy who did the drive for the article I think even in the late nineties there would have been some serious respect for a GT car with such massive performance.

appreciated.
    Alastair

19. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Dear Tassie
    Purely for the collection mind, If I become a millionaire before the car sells and I suddenly without reason become disinterested in 400GTs I hereby state that I will sell you my car for 10 Aussie dollars, and a few cold beers.
    Regards to the too hot and uncomfortable heat I know you would really prefer the constant freezing gales and rain were getting!
    Alastair

20. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Hmmm,I was wondering when THAT bloke would get a mention!:)

21. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Now hold on one minute - I'll go UK £20 and the equivalent number of Aussie beers if it'll keep the car in the UK.

Just being patriotic, not selfish in any way !

22. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Hi Simon
    Heres the plan you get the engine for 8 Aussie dollars and a few beers, Tassie gets the drivetrain for 9 Aussie dollars and a few beers and Russ back in old blighty gets the bodywork for 5 English quid and a few pints of bitter.
    Regards
    Alastair

23. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    #24 Tassie, Feb 13, 2014
    Alastair,
    My last 400GT purchase just arrived in Australia, picked it up last weekend. Very pleased.
    Judge for yourselves.
    Drove this back to back with my 412GT, fuel gauge works faster on the 400, car sounds better too, 412 much better cruiser, just as quick but less dramatic. You can certainly see 10 years has been put to good use by the Ferrari boys. More to go wrong though!
    Having said that I don't have a dark grey Ferrari so I will up Rustytractor a 6 pack of Boags Premium, the Aussie guys will appreciate how generous I am being. It should be warm enough by the time it gets to you if I send it sea freight. Or I could pay you what this car owes me.

The bad news is that I then took the 512BB for a good thrash. Reality check on 400 prices, or 512 prices.

24. EVOeng

EVOeng Karting

Jul 1, 2011
    London, England
    Tassie, I missed out on that car when it was in the UK. You must have been quite fast, especially at that price!