400 changes? | FerrariChat

400 changes?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by redferrarispyder, Mar 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    I understand that the post 1980 cars had the revised dashboard air vents etc. but why does this car have reflectors in the rear bumper but not down the side as it is not a US model???
    also the inserts are no longer in the seats… but it has yellow indicator lenses not clear???

1983 Ferrari 400 A i

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, the "series 2" version of the 400i started production with the 1983 production year I believe and most of the changes were on the interior, including revised single color seat leather, dash vents moved to front of dash, no more wood, solenoid controlled switches for hood, trunk lid, etc. The main mechanical change was to use a hydraulic self leveling rear suspension system. There were several other more minor changes to the interior, exterior and mechanicals.

The red lights in the rear bumper are fog lights, not reflectors.

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Clear indicator lenses came on the 412s, and supposedly on French market 400is. But I don't know if the French market questions has been 100% put to bed, but I see lots of photos of 400is with clear front indicators with French plates.

4. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    … ok I hadn't seen that on all other "series 2" 400'S…?

5. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Back in the early eighties, some European regulations required the lenses to be clear, and the bulb to be Amber! I worked in a Peugeot plant back then and the 504 and 505 we turned out had a variety of indicator lens colours, must be a nightmare for a concours judge nowadays!

6. galbert

galbert Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    sud ouest france
    Full Name:
    Galbert Christopher
    il y a toujours la possibilité de les démonter et de peindre la lentille avec un vernis a maquette orange ca va très bien
    le plus difficile est le démontage sans les cassés
    Christopher

7. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    so series 2 gained rear fog lamps because series 1 had them in the front?

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #8 blkprlz, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mine was originally sent to Charles Pozzi. My understanding was that the day light flashers had to be yellow back then. Maybe a number of them have been swapped out with clear lenses at a later date.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The lights in front are not fog lights, they are flashers since the regular headlights are hidden when they are off.

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hey Blkprlz,
    Interesting a grey Pozzi car. And a 5-speed as well right? Who was the US importer?

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #11 blkprlz, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    Yup, a grey Pozzi…& a 5-speed to boot!
    Robert Ryan out of Watertown, NY. Port of call: JFK Airport on the Oriental Pine (kind of hard to read the chicken scratch on HS Form 7). Air cargo??

12. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #12 Part Time, Mar 29, 2014
    Mine is also from Charles Pozzi....vin 55027 1985 400i Auto trans, from Italy to France to Jersey to Vermont to south east Florida...

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White

I meant......Sun International? JTS? The RI......not the individual.

14. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm guessing that Robert went over to France, bought it, & had it shipped over here for himself.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    He'd still have needed to use an RI. It should be in your door jamb.

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    What's an RI…Registered Importer :confused:
    Unfortunately, my car is in FL & I'm presently in OH so can't check the door jamb now :(
    On the Customs Form 7501, it lists "Robert Ryan" as the Importer of Record & "Same" in the For Account Of box.

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You ever find your RI?

18. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Still wondering what an RI is :confused:
    Will take a pic of the door jamb when I return to FL in the fall if I can remember to do so :eek:

19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #19 bjwhite, Aug 27, 2014
    RI = "Registered Importer". The company that Federalized your car for importation into the US. This is not the "imported for" name that goes with the car usually. It's the company that did the importation.

Here are a couple examples. First is Sun International for 47583. The second is my car imported by JTS International (who I actually know nothing about...been researching). And another Sun International one showing "Imported by Mitchell Cotsworth" or something like that, but as you can see this is a Sun International car.

Notice mine says JTS International out of Huntington Beach--but imported by W. Randa. W. Randa was not an owner of this car from what history I have (and I have it's history since very early in its life in Beverly Hills circa 1985). I found a 1983 308 GTS that was also imported by JTS and W. Randa is listed in the "Imported by" portion too. I assume W. Randa was a partner or owner of JTS, but again I find almost nothing about JTS online.

I have seen a few with stickers that just show an "imported by name of person" thing, but I always figured there would be an additional sticker showing the RI (the company that did the federalization work).

20. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I don't have any of the labels you show except for the one "E" glass label on my door jamb if memory serves me correct. The only thing that was done on my car for federalization was the side marker lights, then emission tested…that's it! No restrictor plate in the fuel fill, no "unleaded fuel" stickers, no air pumps or cats.