'82 400i # 40875 on Copart | FerrariChat

'82 400i # 40875 on Copart

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 4re Nut, Mar 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anyone know the story and what earned it the salvage title? Could it be a flood car?

3. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #3 180 Out, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    It is still wet....

5. santacaferacer

santacaferacer Karting

Jan 6, 2009
    @180 out - dude that's biblical.

I like the green and flood cars usually show leather taking the big hit and this interior looks decent. Maybe a seized or blown motor. I can see that causing a salvage issue since we all know what it costs to fix these cars versus cars value.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Damm my memory. Some Fchat member has always wanted to buy that car. A while back he contacted me about it to see if I knew where it was.
    Ring a bell for anyone?

7. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Lumber and pitch to build a 300 cubit ark: 9,000 shekels
    Grain and meat to feed two of every living thing of all flesh for 1 year and 10 days: 12,000 shekels
    Saying to your wife, as the floodwaters float your boat off the driveway, "I *told* you it was gonna rain": priceless!

8. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I could be wrong but I don't think that needing a major mechanical repair, like from a blown engine, causes a salvage title to be issued. My understanding is that a salvage title is the result of an insurance company "totaling" a car after an accident or other mishap that triggers an insurance claim. Blowing up an engine wouldn't be something that is covered or that could be claimed under a normal insurance policy.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    There have been cars that are totaled due to engine issues. Especially if the damage say....put a hole in the oil pan and the engine seized or if it sucked in water and hydrolocked, etc. Not saying that this is the case here, but it's decently common enough to mention.

Wow, the interior actually looks to be pretty decent. Starting bid at $12k.... Not a bad gamble at that price honestly.

10. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It is only going to have a salvage title if you are not a dealer buying this car. If you have a dealer buy it for you they will receive a clear title for the car. Only buy from Copart using a licensed dealer otherwise it will have a salvage title. Of course most of their cars are true salvage cars and already have the salvage branded to the title. This car looks like it should be available with a clear title, but buyer beware since the vehicle did make its way into the hands of Copart...buyer needs to do some inspections to figure out why. I would not purchase from Copart unless you had a dealer representing you and that you personally inspected the vehicle as well as having a third party look it over as well.

11. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Could driving in the rain do that?

The shields?

Someone put shields on it.

Theft recovery?

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Everybody knows you can't drive a Ferrari in the rain. Once you do they're just a parts car.

13. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    It's not on the listing with Coparts any more. Was Earlier. I was going to watch the auction and got distracted with other things. Maybe it sold. Had a starting asking bid of $12,400. Anyone watch the sale?

14. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ain't that the truth! What a shame, a moment of misattention, a passing shower, and wham!, instant parts car. May as well drive it into the ghetto and leave the keys in it, report it stolen! ;)

15. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #15 4re Nut, Mar 26, 2014
    The "sale date" was today so maybe it did sale but if they didn't get the number they wanted it will likely be re-listed in a day or two.

As for the bid, are you referring to what was shown as the "current bid" at the time you looked at the listing?

Here's a Google cached version of the listing with the bid at $3K...

Copart
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. porschecarl

porschecarl Rookie

Oct 24, 2013
    Manhattan Beach
    Full Name:
    carl tofflemire
    I wathched the auction live and there was spirited bidding from all over the country finishing off at $15600. Copart announced the car as a running and driving example. It also had a clean carfax with mileage continuity from the 90's. No matter there was certainly at least a $15k collection of parts and possibly a winner crossing the block today. I only wish I enough time to get properly informed as to the condition.

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Totally agree. At $15600, that interior looks great...and you never know. That's worth the gamble.

18. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Can Mr. Barnes account for his whereabouts yesterday afternoon?

"running and driving" is a very loose definition. If the car can move under it's own power AT ALL regardless of noises, smoke, anything it can be called this.
    I just finished a Subaru engine job for a "R&D" Copart auction car. One piston was in a zillion pieces, the connecting rod was in four, all in the oil pan. It would start and run and could be driven, with oil spewing from the tailpipe and unbelievable clouds of smoke. It made no noise but had an obvious miss. I expected a holed piston but was flabbergasted to see what was inside.
    I hope the winner of this auction is luckier.
    Any F-chat history for this car?

19. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    I have purchased CoPart cars previously. The prior post is correct. Run and Drive means it goes forward 3 feet, and reverse 3 feet. Not really test driven.

Additional note: You have to specify "NO FORK" so that CoPart DOES NOT USE FORK LIFT if you want the underside of the car to avoid possible damage. The M3 I purchased had fork marks/scrapes going end to end front to rear. Luckily it missed anything critical, but could have damaged the dual exhaust for sure.

20. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Wish I had known this. A BMW I bought had been forked over pretty well, broken stabilizer bar links.

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #21 4re Nut, Mar 27, 2014
    It's back with a sale date of 4/2...

Copart
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    Has anyone seen this car or planning on looking at it?

23. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    Theft is another common reason for the salvage title, at least in Texas. In Texas, a salvage title has to be an insurance recovery---so if some accident were to befall a car, if it were not insured it would not necessarily be totaled...Lee