Mileage of car, how do you tell? | FerrariChat

Mileage of car, how do you tell?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by kaiser, Apr 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    I have been wondering how to tell the mileage of my car. It has less than 30000km on the clock, but it has been mistreated somewhere in it's life, so at times I wonder if it has rounded the clock and done another 100000.

I have been doing some work on it, and the disc brakes are without any ridges at all, the little compressor for the air horn has not been used much, but you never know if these items at one stage have been replaced, the compressor has got a floating magnet, so it might have gone stuck early in it's life, maybe it is an aftermarket fit?

So my question is really, what can I use to judge if the counter has been round the block?
    The wear on the brake pedal rubber? It has just gone through the one corner.

any ideas?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The traditional measure is the wear on the driver's seat bolster - another is the edges of the seat belt - obviously either can be replaced but even that should leave signs

3. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There's a bigger chance the speedo was not connected / working for some of the time, rather than having been around the clock.

Service records, even if you have none, there wouldnt be too many Ferrari repair shops in S.A, contact them to see if they know the car, worth a shot. Also trace prior owners, possibly through the local Ferrari Club ?

Age of tyres ? Date code will tell you when they where made, does this relate to the age of the car?

A 400 with 130 000k's on it will probably be a bit smoky through the valve seals, and be on its 2nd timing chain. What's the compression in the motor like?

Things like the presence of original suspension bushes, hoses and brake pads will all give you a clue as to the true mileage of the car.

And some people don't get to use their Ferrari's much (me), so the mileage could be correct. (eg I have a 21 000 km GT4 that's done about 200k's a year in the 17 years that I've owned it) - a by product of too many cars and not enough time to enjoy the toys

M

4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hello,
    I think a 30.000 km 400 would have a nice driver seat, clean pedals (slightly worn rubber), if a pre-1982, the rear cantilevers should be in good shape, after driving around a bit, the car should not look "low" on its rear wheels. The engine bay should look clean, the paint on the cam covers should not be "chipped" (if missing paint there, expect the car has more than 100.000km). The timing chain adjustment should be about half way down, not more. While driving the car, the feeling should be that all is very tight.
    If the car had a restoration, there is a possibility the counter was reset, which makes the visual evaluation even more difficult.

5. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    I think the brake pedal rubber will be a good point of comparison. And I have just checked, it was not 29950 km but 39950.
    So if you know the mileage of your car, please post a picture of the rubber of the brake pedal and see if there is some correlation, which I think there should be.

6. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    #6 kaiser, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    #7 rovexienus, Apr 27, 2014
    Hello,
    Some pictures, first two for a 400 Auto from 1978 (127,809km), middle two from a 412 manual from 1988 (9,761km), last two from a 512 BBi from 1983 (38,966km). Of course the brake pedal is used a lot more with a Auto gearbox car. Note that the BBi clutch pedal has lost its rubber, this is because the clutch control of this car is particularly hard (thanks to this photo session, I finally noticed that a replacement rubber is needed!). The brake pedal rubber is quite clean by comparison.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. erwin123

erwin123 Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Erwin
    #8 erwin123, Apr 27, 2014
    This is the pedal of my 400 automatic (1979) with today exactly 100.000 km on it. Not sure if the rubber ever has been replaced before.

9. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    WOW!you got me confused there fro a moment!

I know you drive in the wrong side of the road, but this didn't really make sense.

Your picture is upside down. ;-)

From the evidence here, it looks as if my rubber is from a car that has rounded the clock!

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I figured he posted it that way so it would look normal to you southern hemisphere folks! :D

The brake pad wear is one thing to look at but the mix of city driving and highway driving, where the brakes are not used much, can throw that off.

Of course, if I had a high mileage car that I wanted to misrepresent as low mileage, the first thing that I would do is look at the brake pedal pad and, if it was worn, replace it. Not expensive, super easy to do.

The truth is, with an old car, it can take a lot of detective work from several sources to try to reconstruct the mileage and its history. Where has your car been in the past, what service records might be available, are there any old registration documents, etc. ?

11. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Usually its seats, steering wheel, pedals, rubber seals and check underneath the car to give a general idea. But you can't really tell because some have just been harshly treated or driven in a harsh environment. I think sometimes it might be better to a higher mileage example but one that has been treated well with regular driving and servicing.