Question: does your USA-licensed car have a kph speedometer? | FerrariChat

Question: does your USA-licensed car have a kph speedometer?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 180 Out, Apr 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    A question has come up regarding my '83 400i, which has a kph speedometer. Is this unusual?

2. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Mine does. I like to cruise at 140.

3. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Mine does too.

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Mine has a mph sticker on it. And...by the way it's km/h, not kph.

5. upnatum

upnatum Rookie

Mar 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Carl Helmetag
    Mine is in Kmh but it is a Lancia Montecarlo...still looking for my Ferrari

6. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #6 Part Time, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Part time....that looks like a sticker......

8. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 wrxmike, May 1, 2014
    Not in Australia...

I believe the reason for the km/h speeod is that the 400's was never offically sold in the US, so all the cars imported back in the day were sourced in mainland Europe (LHD) and would have come with a km/h speedo. Only the UK cars originally had a MPH speedo.
    No doubt some would have been changed to mph when imported, either with a new speedo, label or a re-screened face.

M
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Having seen an indicated 260 kph (kilometers per hour or Km/h for some) on mine I always knew they were optimistic. This ^ shot says it all.

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #10 blkprlz, May 1, 2014
    Holy cow wrxmike, one handed at terminal V :eek:...or on a dyno?
    Mine's stickered with the mph (note the white circles on the light indicators).
    & like GT Jones...I, too, like to cruise @ 140 (mph :D ). After which, my pegs now rest @ 0.

11. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    :) Shhhh Don't tell anyone but it's actually of a 512 Boxer - but the 412/400 brotherhood should feel free to use the image whenever when you need bragging rights or to back up performance claims to non believers ... Its worked for me !!!

M

Trivia
    The 512 Boxer has pretty much the same engine as the 412, with the exception that the 512 engine is a 180 degree V12
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Colombo_engine

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mine had one but, in case you didn't know, there is a MPH speedo listed in the parts manual. I ordered one and put it in.

13. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    #13 Jasonberkeley, May 24, 2017
    My speedo seems to be doing two things in an unusual manner. It is an MPH / KM/H speedo (See attached photo).

The speedo needles moves very slowly and is not reflective of actual speed (unless you are driving at a constant speed for awhile and it stabilizes at the right speed. If you hit the brakes and drop speed, or rapidly accelerate, speedo needs about 30 seconds to "catch-up" to your actual speed).

Also, the odometer is rolling quicker than actual miles covered. Could the odometer be in KM with an mph speedo such as what I have shown in the photo? Seems odd to me that this would be the case. Or is it more likely that there is an issue with the speedo cable or speedo gear in the TH400 transmission?

Any feedback from folks with first-hand experience on any of the above would be appreciated!

One other thing has to do with the lighting on the speedo, but i'm guessing this is unrelated: with the headlights on, besides the lighting being dim, both green indicator lights are illuminated, and when you use the turn signal, both indicator lights flash on and off in an alternating pattern regardless of which direction you signal. If anyone has any experience or suggestions for that issue as well, please share suggested fixes!

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looks like you have a "stickered" speedo Jason. Pretty common. The original KPH speedo has a sticker laid over the face to reflect the speed in MPH. Hence the reason the mileage isn't correct. You can buy a drop in MPH speedo for not a lot of money.

15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Hi Dave- so you think the odometer is actually KM, not miles? I spoke with the folks at Pal Alto Speedometer and they say they actually see that all the time (MPH speedo with KM odometer).

Thanks,

Jason

16. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Hello, Jason! Welcome aboard and congrats on your recent purchase - its beautiful. I see that you are handy already with the search feature... What I did for my car was to simply start a new thread on it and perhaps that may be something you want to do in the near future. Maybe include how you came to purchasing it, any previous history, etc.

But for now as to your post above, Palo Alto recalibrated and fixed my speedo as I knew it was not accurately keeping track of speed - PA are the absolute best at what they do and have used them before to very satisfactory results! As to the lighting questions, the bulbs surrounding the binnacle are probably in need of replacement. With regard to the funny turn signal light behavior, its likely an electrical gremlin/issue that someone competent and with some experience can hopefully sort out.

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #17 dstacy, May 24, 2017
    Here is a picture of the speedo in #44215. See the white ring around the indicators? That is the edge of the underlying white sticker.

Then look at the second picture. See?

18. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Hi Dave- I understand the sticker thing, so to confirm my odometer is most likely KM.

Is the second picture what the true OEM MPH speedos look like, as opposed to the different "stickered" design?

Thanks,

Jason

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That would be my guess.

Yes, Ferrari part #119218, 119234, & 119235

20. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I'll have to drive a measured KM this weekend with the car to confirm, but the good news is that my car would only have about 19,000 miles as opposed to 30,000 miles!

Thanks for the info!

21. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    So I looked back at all of the original paperwork I have, and the title transfer for the first owner to the second owner lists '7658 KIL' in the line for mileage. I never really thought too much about that prior to this. I guess it makes sense and further supports the hypothesis. The title transfer from owner two to owner three simply has 'EXEMPT' typed in for mileage, as the car was considered a classic at that point in 2008 (at the time owner two sold it). Final thing will be to drive the measured KM this weekend to confirm everything.

22. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    My Charles Pozzi delivered 50679 also has a sticker on it and I believe my "miles" are kms. I haven't verified to be 100% sure though.

Anyone ever removed their sticker to revert back to the km/h speedo?

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Mines a Pozzi car but never converted thankfully. Says km/h only with an optimistic 300 top speed.

24. JAnastas

JAnastas Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    KMS ODO and KMS Speedo, no stickers. Not converted when imported from Canada. '84 400i. Yet, Federalized in many other ways

25. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    LOL! That's hilarious! They're pretty much the same engine except totally different! ;)