The noise of that V12 | FerrariChat

The noise of that V12

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Nathan76, Jun 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    I know I'm new to ownership of this car and haven't got the most pristine example out there but I've been out in the car about half a dozen times and the sound of that engine burbling away is just awesome. ...

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Don't worry about the burbling,wait until you double clutch from 7000 revs in third to fourth,that's the REAL noise you're looking for.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I've been thinking about this.

Fewer and fewer people are EVER going to experience, much less own, the full Ferrari sound of a Gioacchino Colombo designed V-12.

The modern Ferrari cars are interesting, but sound more like modern F1 cars than thoroughbred V-12s. Even the V-12s. They are too high pitched.

And many more people own a modern Ferrari than a real Columbo engined Enzo original.

Matt

4. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    +365(not 330 anymore....sniff)

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    the sound of car heaven. my 45,000 mile car really sounds great. the other one that has 9,600 is so quite I can hear nothing

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Why would you double clutch on an upshift, especially at 7,000 rpm??? If it weren't for the rev limiter to protect you, the engine sounds that you would be hearing wouldn't be anything to look forward to.

The OP is correct, these engines sound fabulous! With no cats installed, the sound of my 400i under full acceleration was almost frightening, it was so fierce!

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I believe Nathan76 & Simon both have 365's &, if I'm not mistaken, the redline's @ 7K (& I don't think they installed rev limiters on the earlier models).
    Now the double clutching,…that's got me a wonderin' :confused: (unless there's some throttle blippin' going on).

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I've had people come up to me surprised an F-car could be so quiet, that's no longer the case with me as the Ansas are finally giving out :(

9. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Took the 400 out for a blast this evening to an Italian car meet at the Ace Cafe - the car was really well received and I had many compliments and comments on how beautiful the 400 was. It's been a few months since I've had the car out and thrashing her around on a really lovely warm night was fantastic. I forgot how mesmerising the engine induction roar is - music to any petrolheads ears !

Drove it pretty hard, looking over my shoulder and in the rear view mirror for flashing blue lights behind me the whole time - luckily there weren't any in sight.

That was until I put the 400 away in the storage unit and drove home in my Citroen XM 3.0 V6 24v and got pulled up for speeding and had to take a breath test.

Luckily they thought 50 in a 40 limit wasn't bad enough to give me a ticket and the breath test came back clear which wasn't a surprise. Oddly enough one of the officers was a Citroen buff and was really interested in the XM.

Lucky they didn't pull me up earlier as I'd 100% have been in trouble !

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Well, you know those crazy Cit XM drivers. Pull those nutcases over every time. I've seen Ronin. Hahaha.

11. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    XMs are very nice. We had a DS 23 and a CX back in the 70s/80s. I'd love to have either again.

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Burble schmurble, @ red line in top gear, THAT'S awesome.

13. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein

14. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I am glad that I am one of the lucky people to have owned these cars. My 412 5spd with Euro spec exhaust and setup was an amazing car. No other Ferrari I have owned has come close. The sound, the smooth power at any rev, the amazing top speed, and handling made it a perfect GT car. It also is a really beautiful car with a real back seat.