Bumpers | FerrariChat

Bumpers

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Nathan76, Jul 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Next job is to get the front bumpers reconditioned and remounted - question is do I get them sprayed and colour coded I'm leaning towards it even though it's non standard.

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Keep them standard, and the rear panel matte black too.

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Assume you have a 400/400i.....I'd leave the bumpers black. I think the painted bumpers (even on the 412) look rather silly.

4. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    It's a 365gt4 2+2 think the black looks quite cheap the rear is already coded so am leaning towards getting them to match

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Definitely don't paint then.

6. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The front bumper on my 365 GT4 2+2 has rusted out internally and causing lots of bumps and lumps externally.
    Can anyone suggest a source of new / replicas or good second hand replacement?
    Thanks

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Eurospares in the UK should have them.

8. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    By "coded" you mean that you have already changed the finish from the stock black to the color of the body?
    I'm not fond of the monochromatic illness that has afflicted the entire automotive industry. Looks like Earl Scheib got the bid to paint most cars. Body, grille, door handles, window trim, bumpers, anything that isn't DOT regulated got the treatment. It all looks like a cost cutting measure. Too bad there isn't a chrome variant, that would add some contrast that I would appreciate.
    My vote, make it stock. You still won't have a problem finding your car in the parking lot.

9. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Chrome now there's an idea....

10. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Can a Eurospares do have them 160 for the sides 610 for the main bumper. English pounds that is.

11. galbert

galbert Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    sud ouest france
    Full Name:
    Galbert Christopher
    sur les 400 première série il y a bien un chrome sur le dessous du pare choc avant et sous les latéraux

12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I got my bumpers from same supplier that Eurospares uses; they come from Italy. They are fiberglass not, molded rubber. The come with nixe surface finish but no color, they need to be primed and painted. Sikkens "Rally Black" is a perfect match for the original. Most body shops use it for various truck applications. It only comes in gallon cans for about $500 with reducer and catalyst and usually only sold to professionals due to vapors. It also comes in spray cans.

I got the new front and repaired my old lumpy rear....temporary fix at best.
    Ken

13. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for recommendation of Eurospares.

14. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Okay...now that I have my flame suit on....I painted my 1980 400i bumpers, and they are beautiful.... However...they don't survive even the slightest tap (two m.p.h.), so don't paint them. Over. Jq.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I was preparing my flamethrower....but then you said...no, don't paint them so I put it away. ;)

16. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Different strokes for different folks. The previous owner of my 83 400i painted the bumpers matching silver and I really liked the look because it made the car look more "as one piece" and not divided in two. It also foresaw the move more than 25 years later where most modern cars have body color bumpers, so that was an advanced look into the future! ;)

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #17 bjwhite, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Haha, funny Ashman. But, I think that's what makes many modern cars look boring. BMW started painting the body trim on the later E39 5-series and made it look....Toyota-ish. Not cool.

The best white cars in the world have lots of black trim. :)

Imagine a Milano with body colored plastic on it. Ugh. Makes it look like Maaco was too cheap to remove the trim before painting. ;)