Replacing the positive battery cable | FerrariChat

Replacing the positive battery cable

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bjwhite, Jul 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Has anyone replaced theirs? If so, did you order the Ferrari part of have one made?
    Once you had one, what procedure did you do for replacement? It seems the cable is in a sheath or conduit but with big ends on both sides, how did you fish it down?

2. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I replaced the Positive battery cable with marine grade 2 gauge cable from the marine supply store. I also used their marine grade crimp on cable ends. Take out the battery and the tray. Clean and paint the tray. Measure the old cable and clean the starter motor terminal. I then connected the new cable to the starter and then sprayed it with the red battery terminal spray. Ugly...yes, but who cares. I also used heat shrink on both ends on the terminals right up to the bend on terminal eyes. I then applied clear silicone sealant over the entire connector all the way over the end of the heat shrink. Using the much larger size wire amazingly eases the starting stress. Overkill.... Absolutely. Jq.

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Did you fish it into the old conduit or did you just leave it outside the path?

4. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    What conduit?? However,I forgot to mention in my post, that I did purchase some VERY expensive heat shield tubing form JEGS to cover the cable with. Overkill..yup. That's same reason that I carry a .45 call instead of a 9mm. Over. Jq.