400i Rear Glass Availability | FerrariChat

400i Rear Glass Availability

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Jul 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    During the almost year long comprehensive nut and bolt restoration of my '85, my restorer inadvertently had the rear glass crack/break 2 days ago to the point where it needs a replacement.

So, I went to eBay and inquired from Mr. Fiat, Ferrparts, and Tony Randazzo about a replacement one and 24 hours later, Ferrparts was the only one thus far having replied and offering a new OEM one for $2600 and another $125 for shipping.

Can someone point me to different alternatives, perhaps? Thank you ahead of time for your help and wish me luck!

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    $2600 for a back glass? If it is original and not a reproduction I'd be all over it. If it is factory and you don't buy it please let me know.

3. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hi,

Just had one shipped in from Eurospares at £ 834 (VAT of 20% included)= $US 1,430, shipping cost is on top of that (was $US 44 to France).

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/searchResult.asp?find=+&S=257-40-504-10

Regards.

4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Hello Stacy !
    If i got generic glass for the rear glass non heated would you think peoples would like to buy it for cheap price ?

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've never seen an aftermarket back glass yet that was the right color.

6. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    As i can see my car is clear color!
    And i'm thinking to invest to fabricate those back glass in production for cheap $$$ !

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    OttoB, good question. Not a lot of these cars in the US. From what I have heard if you pull the rear window out there's a great chance it's going to break. The person pulling the glass is probably doing a pretty major restoration and spending big $ on the car and is probably looking for the correct glass or one that is nearly identicle to the factory. Unlike the front glass that can get broken (from rocks etc from other cars) in day to day driving the back window is usually only replaced under special circumstances, of course this is just my opinion.

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Clear would NOT be the correct color for a 400i back glass.

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I am considering taking my early 77 apart. no moto all glass is good. if the rear glass comes out nice I will want $1,400 fob

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm just curious about what makes removing the rear glass so difficult and prone to breakage? It looks to be a pretty conventional shape and the opening doesn't look as though there should be anything unique about how it is mounted on the car.

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    But if it can go wrong it will!

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    $64,000 question

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day John,

I believe one reason could be that the glass is glued in? I am not sure of the back glass, but I think the front is glued in which can create issues if one is in a bit of a hurry.

Cheers,

Sam

14. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Yes. The glass are both glued in. If you feel that the glass is expensive, the stainless steel surround strips are bascially unobtainable and will cost much more than the glass, I am told. Also the glue used was formulated Gino and Luigi about an hour after lunch of I-talian salami, Chianti, and cheese. Formulation will vary from day to day, depending on the what their wives packed for them an any given day. I hope this helps. Jq.

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I lost a front windshield. was not a good experience.

16. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I went ahead and purchased a new OEM from Eurospares - no need to dilly dally about attempting to reinvent the wheel... The price was about $1,000.00 less than either Mr. Fiat or Ferrparts whose identical quotes for $2600 probably didn't even include shipping (whereas Euro did from the UK)!

17. NickKerigan

NickKerigan Karting

Mar 17, 2011
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Kerigan
    Yes and yes.
    If you take any of the glass out (front, rear or side), preserve the steel strips AND beware of the glue...

18. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    glass. mine was 1/8" wider at the bottom! have fun at a body shop. buy the trim new or you may be in trouble

19. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I put clear plex on my windshield to hopefully avoid this sort of mess

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    GT, give us some more info on this. I'm curious to see how it holds up.

21. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I've had it on my 911 windshield for several years and it gets a lot more highway time, rain, etc. I'd say that in 2 or 3 more years I'll need to replace it.
    On the 400 it was installed on a somewhat pitted probably 36yr old windshield. On a new car you can hide the seam under rubber or plastic trim but I didnt want to try removing the metal trim on our cars so I just trimmed to the edge. Its fine from 5' away. You can install yourself with reasonable care and I think its very likely that it will keep a stone from wrecking this windshield. Won't save me from someone texting through...Maybe it will yellow in a few years but the car is garaged and I never start a trip in the rain so it should last a long time.