Retorquing the heads | FerrariChat

Retorquing the heads

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bjwhite, Jul 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #1 bjwhite, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since my right hand head gasket/head was done a bit ago in its service history (about 5000 km ago), and since it's called for in the normal service intervals, I'd like to retorque my heads.

I haven't taken everything apart yet, but I wanted to confirm. The head bolts are circled in red here correct? Also, I can't quite see what sort of head is on these. Are they special? It looks like a concave hex or something?

Thanks....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Brian - you're quite right, they are the cylinder head nuts. If my memory serves correctly you need a 15mm socket, but just make sure you slacken each one in turn before re-torqueing (72ft/lbs) otherwise you'll achieve nothing! I am also inclined to slacken all the front cover to head fixings at the same time so I get no 'interference' from it (the front cover that is).

Good luck, Howard.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And there will be an order you are supposed to torque them in ...
    Pete

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yep, I have the order and torque values. Thanks guys.

5. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Could you advise on the order and torque spec for the head bolts? Also what needs to be removed, how did you remove it, and in what order? Also if you have any Best Known Methods / Practices I should know about?

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Is retorquing a standard procedure or do you have symptoms that would indicate retorquing be done?

7. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Apologies for not giving the full background to my question. While doing some miscellaneous recommended maintenance, my mechanic found a coolant leak between cylinder head and block on the drivers side. From what I have heard from my current mechanic and Continental Ferrari (good to get 2 opinions for this kind of stuff in my opinion), there are 2 possible ways to solve the problem:

1. Install a new head gasket. Labor intensive.

2. It may be possible to just retorque the head bolts and tighten the head against the gasket.

How *less* labor intensive would this be compared to #1?