Last of the carbies for sale... | FerrariChat

Last of the carbies for sale...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bjwhite, Jul 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  2. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Nice looking car but the wheels just look wrong with the centre section painted - look sort of heavier to me.

I'd still like to own it though - but then again I'm a greedy bugger !

3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Someone needs to strangle folks that write ads like this full of useless hyperbole and misinformation but omitting any pertinent facts.
    Oh, forty grand? Fix the air conditioner, chiseler.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is a pet peeve of mine; the tires are mounted wrong. All tires are marked with a heavy/light spot which marks how the tire should be mounted in relation to the valve stem. Look how much weight they have on that wheel because they mounted it almost 180 degrees opposite of where it should be.
    Stupid thing to get bugged about but it is just so simple to do it right and yet so many tire installer do it wrong!

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I didn't know that, Dave. Something else to get annoyed about. Thanks!

Aidan

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Huh? Do what? A heavy/light spot? Weight on the wheel? What sir are you talking about?!

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  9. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #9 Part Time, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Most modern tires are marked with a dot or paint spot on one side close to the bead, this would indicate the initial mounting spot to position next to the tire valve. Each tire would be checked at the factory to find the "heavy" side...starting with this mounted to the stem area gives the tech ground zero. Of course, you may still need to spin the tire on the rim if it shows to be too far out of balance, this is called "road-force"...if you get the heavy side of the tire mounted to the heavy side of the wheel, you could have as much as 90 lbs of rotating weight giving you a rough ride even with a new tire. If I see more than 1 to 1.5 ozs of lead at any one point on the rim, it might be possible to dismount the tire and rotate a quarter turn to make it balance better.
    Nothing is perfect, wheels & tires are not exactly round, then add in a rotating brake disc, lug bolts, etc..

Gary

(Dave beat me to it...I type too slow)

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #10 dstacy, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the picture from the ad. Take a look at all the weight on the wheel. Notice how it is all near the valve stem? The tire is mounted wrong!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Mine are balanced with the weights on the inside of the rim, out of sight. Much nicer.

Aidan

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Ahhhh, the weights. Sorry, I was viewing via my phone so didn't see that little detail of the AMAZING amount of wheel weights...that's just nuts.

Good eye dave... Also thanks for the education on the red dots! :)

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Absolutely, there is so much offset on these wheels there is more than enough room to place the weights out of sight.

Looks as though the tire installer was a bit lazy. Most installers probably spend their days putting tires on Hondas and Toyotas and fine details like minimal weights to achieve proper balance are not a consideration. Unless they are accustomed to installing tires on high performance cars, you probably need to instruct them and let them know that you expect them to do a professional job, not what is acceptable for a daily grocery getter.

14. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    Probably shouldn't buy your tires @ discount tire stores.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I agree. I've always hated that...