Why are 400i conversions costing less than the cost of conversion | FerrariChat

Why are 400i conversions costing less than the cost of conversion

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bitzman, Aug 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am wondering why 400 body style conversions to open cars are now lower priced than it cost to cut them back in the day.I only have one example, Auctions America in 2013, I think it was $22,000, at any rate lower than the $25,000 or so that Straman used to charge for cutting the roof off and to me it's like paying for the conversion over again and getting a v12 four seater Ferrari for free!

I think the fact Ferrari reportedly made two such convertibles, one to test carbon fibre, shows that the convertible was "blessed" by the factory.They just didn't get around to building them.At least since Ferrari made two, to me that makes it a more legitimate body style than when GTC/4s are cut into spyders.

My feeling is that, maybe a year or two from now, a 400i convertible cut by Straman will fetch $125,000 at an auction and then they will go up to that level. I suspect maybe it was the poorly cut ones from Europe that de-valued them and got the bad opinions going. I spent a day driving one from Sheldon Brooks in Santa Monica and it was a great car,no cowl shake, and a relatively well designed top.

2. stephenpdean

stephenpdean Rookie

Jul 10, 2004
    Could it be that Ferrari's engineering evaluations of the two cars, 'post-cut', determined the chassis wouldn't be stiff enough for an open top car? (Much of a car's chassis stiffness is provided by the roof, which, apparently, is a little known fact to some street rodders.) A lot of chassis modification is required after cutting the roof off if the job is done right. Straman did some of the best modifications.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes.

Even the Stramans were a disaster.

A car needs to be engineered from the frame up to be a convertible.

4. scs550

scs550 Rookie

Dec 25, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Hi,

since I bought a conversion this year which I am really happy about, I have a somewhat different opinion.
    I guess it is really up to who did the conversions, whether they have horrible scuttle shake or not.

Also, some are just poorly done and look accordingly, and "even Straman" did forget some important points in my opinion:
    - Quarterlight window from base 400i, therefore misaligned with the top of the windscreen on open car
    - tonneau cover leads to inoperable rear windows when open
    And this Straman who has a reputation, there are some really awkward other conversions around.

Therefore, I decided to get one of the 12 (15?/18?) Pavesi conversions, who had also worked on Iso Grifos before and did the official conversion on the De Tomaso Longchamp. They addressed both of the above issues, and also the top looks good when up and does not use up too much space (and looks strange) when down.

Their work is really of high quality, it just adds "some" weight ;-). But at least, it is quite rigid and compares well with my 500 SEC SGS convertible from the same area. Driving these cars, I do not think they have to engineered from scratch as a convertible.
    Don't forget that in the 80s, most convertibles were an afterthought, even from big manufacturers. Just compare them with a 70s convertible and you are fine, but of course they are not as stiff as any new convertible on the market.

Best

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Very interesting, Sven. Any chance of a photo or two?

Aidan

6. scs550

scs550 Rookie

Dec 25, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    #6 scs550, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Aidan, sure - there you go... Just have to find out the trick to make these pics somewhat bigger, it should be 1 MB but just loads up as 92K.

Still, you can see the bigger front quarterlight window (compare it to other 400s and you will see the difference) and the size of the stowed top.

Best, Sven
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Looks like a very nice conversion, and a great colour combo too. BTW, I think Fchat automatically reduces the file size. It looks fine as it is here.

Aidan

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Best color combo! :)

What about pics of the top up?

9. scs550

scs550 Rookie

Dec 25, 2012