412 Tensionner pads | FerrariChat

412 Tensionner pads

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jbp, Sep 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South
    Hi 412 gurus,

I'm the happy owner of F412i #68163, beautiful condition all around. I live in the south of France, between Marseille and the Alps.

My problem of the day, distribution chain tensionners pads are worn enough to justify a change. This is an engine out operation, as you all know.

I just can't source two of them pads :
    Part 126243 Guide shoe, mobile
    Part 126053 Guide shoe, lateral

Does any of you know a place where I can find these parts? I tried to contact Boyd Bowdish, no luck.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/151081-pros-cons-330-365-2-2s-400-412-a.html#post136737268

Or, by a remote chance, is there one of you here with a used pair of said guide shoes, willing to sell/send to me, so I can have them rebuilt before I have the engine taken out. I'm trying to limit the time with the engine out of the car.

Thanks for your help,

Jean-Baptiste

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Have you tried Eurospares?

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Do a search in this section. A while back there was a multiple page discussion about the chain and guides.

4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hi Jean-Baptiste,

Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini Parts - Ricambi America, Inc. is listing Part 126243
    Ferrari Parts - Same Day Shipping - T. Rutlands is listing Parts 126243 and 126053

5. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South
    Thank you all for the answers.

Eurospares lists the parts but they are unavailable, I checked with Claudio.
    Same with Trutlands : parts are "special order", not available, at least not in a foreseeable future....
    Ferrari classiche reply was : we have them, send your car...

Ricambi America lists the 126243, but not the 126053 : I placed an order on 126243, it was not available last time I checked, good thing you pointed me back to them, rovexienus. I just hope they really have it.

And I checked the discussion on the chain guide, it was about the 400. It's where I found mention of Boyd Bowdish though.

Those two pads are different from the 400, hence the limited availability.

Jean-Baptiste Paoli

6. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South
    Quick update : 126 243 is listed in Ricambi America, but not available. Too bad...

//
    Order Number: 17899
    Detailed Invoice: https://www.ricambiamerica.com/account_history_info.php?order_id=17899
    Date Ordered: Wednesday 03 September, 2014

The comments for your order are

This item was listed on our site in error and is unfortunately discontinued and no longer available. Your credit card has not been charged. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

7. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South
    Thank you all for the answers.

Eurospares lists the parts but they are unavailable, I checked with Claudio.
    Same with Trutlands : parts are "special order", not available, at least not in a foreseeable future....
    Ricambi America lists the 126243, but not the 126053 : I placed an order on 126243, it is not available.
    Ferrari classiche reply was : we have them, send your car...

And I checked the discussion on the chain guide, it was about the 400. It's where I found mention of Boyd Bowdish though.

Those two pads are different from the 400, hence the limited availability.

Jean-Baptiste Paoli

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hahaha....Classiche. Send us your car...that cracks me up.

Modena Motori likes this.
  9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I love my car but, when I read stuff like this I kind if wish I would have gone for the 67 Mustang fastback.

10. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter

I've got one and they're a great car but try replacing the power steering hoses - what a PITA especially if the cars got headers !

There's almost no way to stop them hitting the exhaust and it's a two man job which, with the testing, can take hours.

I'd rather replace a 400 starter any day - at least you know that will drive you insane and you'll be prepared for it !

11. Godspeed!

Godspeed! Karting

Dec 1, 2006
    Mandeville, Louisian
    Full Name:
    Dave Foley
    I believe Maranello Concessionaires in the UK has them. Purchased mine there a while back.

Godspeed!
    Dave

12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    J-P
    I just went thorough the engine out change of my 400i chain and tensioner. Are they the same parts. I have both the old tensioner and opposite side guide sitting in my shop. If they are of value to you send PM to arrange shipping.
    Je parle Francais.
    Ken

13. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    If anyone is looking at making up after market ones using modern compounds put me down for 2 sets. I have 2 engines that are overdue for replacement & a 3rd that hasn't got far to go.

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Ask Verel about making some up.

15. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South
    @SouthJersey400i : unfortunately, they are not the same between 400 et 412, but thanks for the offer.

@Godspeed! : thanks for the direction, I will investigate that

@Ak Jim : will try and get in touch with Verell

I will probably en up re-fabricating them, the engine is out of the car since Tuesday, now I can have access to the tensioners. They are grooved > 50%, but not up the metal.
    It will be with modern compound, I'll let you know how it goes. Issue is whether or not keep the metal part of the shoe.

jbp

16. Godspeed!

Godspeed! Karting

Dec 1, 2006
    Mandeville, Louisian
    Full Name:
    Dave Foley
    Interesting, jbp, Maranello does not shoew they have the 126243 or 126053. Yet, for the 400 / 400I they do have the 104533 and 104534 as MP or "Maranello Approved Part". So I investigated this a bit, everything including the timing chain is the same for the 400 / 400I (early 400 and 365 older tension system) and 412. It could be assumed a different compound or material for the soft pad???????

BTW the MP parts listed above which I purchased for my 400A, were actually machined pieces with applied pad material, vs cast originals. Think I may have pics of these before assy with new parts. As far as I know these are the "only" replacements available. And considering Maranello Concessioaires is commissioned by Ferrari Classiche to sell parts for the older cars, I bet these are the ones Classiche is using.

The guys at Maranello are great, and could answer what the true difference is with the 412 parts. I'm curious too.

Anyone else?

Godspeed!
    Dave

17. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South
    Hey Godspeed!

I never really thought the difference might only be the compound... I just saw different part numbers, and without having the parts side by side, I didn't even think they could be the same.
    If it is the case, I hate myself......... Stoopid me.

And you might also be right for the fact ferrari classiche use the very same part....

Jean-Baptiste Paoli

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I'm subscribing to this thread as I'm also very interested in what you find out.

19. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South
    @Southjersey400i : PM sent

20. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    J-P, check your PM box.

21. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South
    Many thanks to Ken, that sent used 400 pads.

Side by side comparison show the 400 guides are shorter and smaller, so it's not only the compound. I won't be able to use 400 pads on the 412.

So refabrication is the way to go.... I'll keep you posted.
    Pics will follow.

jbp

22. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Did you look here:

Search

Mike

23. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South
    @ Mike,

I sent a query, waiting for their response.
    Thanks for the direction.

The used pads out of the car are sent to a reputable part maker in France, I'll have a quote to get them rebuilt one unit at a time, and for a batch, if some on the list are interested.

I'll keep you posted

jbp

24. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South