Values going up fast | FerrariChat

Values going up fast

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Pyrford Ranger, Sep 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi , just done a quick bit of research on asking prices in Europe (uk too small market) and since the sale of that prototipo in US the other day for record money, a quick look at 365 gt4 shows the cheapest is now 75k euros and 2 cars have gone up in asking price! one was £72k I think and is now 90k and another was 99k and is now 129k, the first one I've seen advertised for over 100k barrier.

also cheapest manual 400 is now 40k!

2. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Not sure we are seeing that Stateside yet... But just as the prices of 911s went through the roof in Europe while they were cheap and plentiful here- can't be to long before USA values reflect worldwide demand.

3. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
  4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok, who wants my 5-speed for $60k right now? Better make the offer quick before you have to pay 100k.

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    If this keeps up for the next 10 years or so I might be able to break even on my car!

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #6 rustytractor, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    I'm prepared to let my 400a and 365 go as a pair for the knockdown price of £100 million billion squillion Svengalian Cheeselets.

Roughly translated back into £Sterling that's around £19.99 (that's over $30 !!) but no silly offers please - a punch in the face often offends !!

7. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    so, what are you seeing on 365 GT4's 2+2's 'stateside' Jay ?

8. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    considering your enjoyment during your time with 'her', don't you think you've already 'broke even' Jim ?

p.s. she's worth far more than you think...

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #9 Ak Jim, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Heck yes! Cars seldomly make financial sense but we get them anyway. :)
    I was in Ferrari of Seattle a while back looking at the new cars. I can honestly say if I could have any of the cars there or mine (assuming brand new from the factory) I would pick mime over any of the new ones. Also if the values go up then it becomes easier to put more money into the car. Things like recovering the dash start to make economic sense.

10. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    dash and tunnel recover would make you weak in knees all over again Jim, trust me...but ya, Henk Van Lith 'mouse hair' and Gary Nolan doing the recovering will cost you $5000.
    be patient, give it another 6-12 months and she'll be well 'worth it'. ; )

11. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    and yes, obviously, you have a 'cooler' car than anything made since...or are they making something now with 4 cams and six carbs that I'm not aware of ?

12. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Even if the prices go up a bit, it's because it's on the tail end of other ferrari models and it will probably stall out after the initial price rise. In Aus the 365 is starting to be advertised a bit higher. I think it's because people think that the carby v12 might become a collectible.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Not sure my car is cooler or not, it's just my preference. I just think there is a greater connection with an older car like this. I know the new cars are faster, safer, etc (and yes I do own newer cars) it's just not the experience I'm looking for.

14. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Same as the last 10 years really. Dealers asking $75K. Real cars trading in the mid $20-s to mid $40s according to condition. The occasional really beautiful car trading hands in the $60s. We still have auto 400is routinely selling in the $20s... not horrible cars but worn cars... "Drivers". I don't think there's a better 412 anywhere than the one in my garage- Doubt I could get $40K for it.

Then again 308gtb's were High $20s for a long time, and just recently started spiking back upwards- with even fairly well used cars getting into the low $30's and really clean cars getting upper $40s.

What is more amazing is the sudden interest in 308GT4's. I had my restored 1975 Dino at a local show and probably 20 people asked me if I would sell it. Nobody ever asked that about my lovely 400i 5 Speed.

We're not far from the time when ANY 70s Ferrari is $100K- Michael Sheehan be damned...