data sheet Ferrari 400i 1981 automatic | FerrariChat

data sheet Ferrari 400i 1981 automatic

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Elasto, Sep 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hi,

Since I imported my 400i from Germany I need an official Ferrari data sheet for my '81 400i automatic (036583) to have it registered.
    can somebody help me out with a pdf or an official link (NO wikipedia, please :)

Thanks in advance
    Andreas

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    What data ? Owners Manual here All Ferraris has a lot of detail

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All Ferraris

Are these what you are looking for? I didn't see 400i on the list but you might get in touch with them and see if they can help.

4. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    thanks for the link, unfortunately I couldn't find the 400i either.

I need an official technical data sheet (mass, size, engine specs, transmission .... ) including the correct figures for displacement and HP.

the problem is that somewhere on the way to homologation in germany somebody screwed up and put wrong figures into the cars papers (don't know the correct term in English).
    the tech sheet shows: displacement 4790 ccm instead of 4823ccm, and 208kW instead of 228KW (the 400i of another customer at my F. dealer has the same "wrong" figures)

this would mean I have to pay a little less for insurance and tax, but I don't care about the few extra bucks, I want the correct figures.

My Ferrari dealer said he could send an official inquiry to Ferrari, but the Italians would charge something between 600 to 900 euros for that.
    And it is not assured that they will send the correct data - like they have done a few monthes ago (for another 400).

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The same site has owners manuals you can download that have all that information if they will accept that.

6. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    YES!!!
    I found it in the manual - thanks rifledriver, you are a genius!!!!!!
    funny thing is I downloaded the manual a few days ago but I didn't have the time to check it yet.

hope this does the job.

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
  8. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    thanks, but the most important info is not included, the displacement.

somehow in the 80s the Germans managed to put wrong figures into the technical data sheet - 4790 ccm and 207 KW ....

but to get the car registered with the correct figures in Austria I need an official data sheet, the tech data figures in the handbook are not enough ....
    Paul Dubois from the 400 club told me to contact Ferrari and ask for the "Vehicle Production Data", but I only received a piece of paper which told me what I already knew: year of production, dealer, date of 1st registration, colour ....... but neither displacement nor HP.

9. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

10. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #10 Elasto, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    according to my information the displacement is 4823 (or 4824 if you round up the 81mm bore and 78mm stroke) ccm and power should be:
    340 HP for 400 GT (carburettor)
    310 HP for 400i (series 1)
    315 HP for 400i (series 2)

funny thing is, I just received the homologation sheets for the 400gt and the 400i directly from Ferrari, and the power figures are different again..... 320 for the carbed and 295 for the injected. ....... at least the displacement says 4824 ...

why are the figures for germany different from the italien ones???
    if you check with "mobile.de" you can find almost any possible variation of displacement and horsepower .... but why??????????? tax reasons????

11. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #11 Elasto, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    in the homologation paper it say 295 CV (cavalli - Italian for "horses") for the series 1 injection cars (320 CV for carburettor).
    Does anyone know if "CV" is different from "HP" - or "PS" in German? (I know that "BHP" is different from "HP").
    Are the performance figures different depending on the country of registration?

What figures do other 400i series 1 owners (Europe, America, Australia ... ) have?

I'm starting to get a little desperate because I can't seem to find the appropriate figures for my car.
    please help!

12. scs550

scs550 Rookie

Dec 25, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Same with my 1980 400i 5speed - 295 CV in the Italian Documents. I will also check what the original handbook says, however.

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Andreas,

I think you are over thinking this. If you have an official Ferrari Document (like the Homologation papers) then this is all you are going to find. The only other option would be to find an Official Ferrari Sales Brochure for the car and present it to your transport licensing officials... I suspect that you will not find an exact document that details the HP, etc figures of your particular car, as none were ever made for each and every car.

As for the variability of the figures... especially horsepower.... Well, Ferrari has been known to have a somewhat broad variance in their published performance numbers. That being said one also has to remember that these were limited production cars and so things were being done to them (i.e. tweaking, adjustments, etc) as they were being assembled... so it is not surprising that the figures would vary. Adding to this each and every country and location had differences (i.e. different Altitudes and fuel formulations) that would affect the car's performance figures. As I stated earlier I believe that the information you have already obtained will be the most you will be able to find.

As for the "CV" designation... If one looks to Wikipedia you will find the definition as follows:

French and Italian tax horsepower (CV)

Horsepower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope the above helps!

Cheers,

Sam

14. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #14 Elasto, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    Hi Sam,

thank you very very much for the info about tax horsepower - I hope this explains the different figures.

Greez
    Andreas