Broken boot release cable | FerrariChat

Broken boot release cable

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Sep 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    While opening the boot on the 400 yesterday the cable appears to have snapped somewhere.

The boot did open (which was good) but my friend then shut it (which was bad) so now it doesn't open and the release lever next to the seat doesn't do anything.

I didn't have time to see if it had snapped by the release lever which is probably easier to fix than the other end but does anyone know how to get into the boot if it's snapped at the boot end ?

2. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    There's an emergency cable inside the fuel filler flap. That is, assuming that one isn't already broken ;-)

Don't you read the handbook...

3. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I read it religiously every night before my bedtime prayers - sadly the dog ate that page !

4. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Russell,
    We often see vehicles in the Outback with this problem. The usual solution is to use a chain saw to establish a discrete opening from the back seat. Then climb into the boot and with delicate use of crowbar and sledge hammer the boot release can be freed. Once open judicious use of the nearest piece of fence wire will ensure it stays closed for the remainder of the journey.
    If that fails to enable easy entry, then finessing the lock with a hot spanner (gas axe) is a sure fire way of entry.
    Oh and another thing, we use kangaroos for pet food, not car manuals, but the hard part is you have to run them over first.
    Hope this is of some help.

5. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    The subtly and sheer elegance of this solution is without doubt preferable to Howard's heavy handed approach.

I'll get a chain saw this morning and give it a go and to avoid having the same problem at a later time I'll do the same to the 365 also.

My, you upsidedowners really are a delicate bunch aren't you !

6. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Just trying to help the Prisoners Of the Motherland.

7. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Help - I'm a Pom, get me out of here !!

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    failed the shuttle diplomacy course

9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Is yours a 400, 400i Series 1 or 2? My 'emergency pull on the '84 400i is next to the left rear seat near the hand grab outboard of the seat.
    Ken