Custom Tipo F101 | FerrariChat

Custom Tipo F101

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Blackandbluedino, Oct 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blackandbluedino

Apr 16, 2013
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Gonnella
    I am trying to find some information on a Ferrari 365 GT4/400 I thought I read about many, many years ago in a British car magazine. If memory serves, an English doctor owned a Tipo F101 that was involved in a road accident leaving the mechanicals fairy intact but destroying the coachwork. Facing high repair bills, the doctor decided to take the remains to a local restoration facility and build a custom car. As I recall, the chassis was shortened and a rounded body something like a cross between a 275 GTB and a 250 GTO was fabricated and installed. I think the article said something about the doctor using the car as a daily driver... The rest of the article described the car's details and how it drove. I've never been able to find anything else about this car and I'm wondering if after all these years I am mistaken about the origins of the car... Anybody else out there know anything about a Tipo 101 like this, any pictures, histories?

2. cprob

cprob Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Do a search here of 400i GTO.. sounds like what you are searching for.

3. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    A number of 400s have been so converted in the UK, there's another old thread on Fchat about a 575 GTO that was made from 365 and 400 parts, and I know of a red car built by Claydon Automotive, originally using Datsun parts but later a 400i. I don't recognise the magazine article though but would also be interested in finding it. Do you remember anything else that might help me trace it, eg the period, type of magazine, etc?