400 float level | FerrariChat

400 float level

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by simonc, Oct 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Does anyone know the float level settings for the 38DCOEs on a 400 Auto. The WSM simply says 8mm +/-0.25 but there should be two settings - the 'up' setting and the 'down' setting. I think the WSM figure is the 'up' figure but I am not sure, it could be the 'drop' (the difference between the 'up and 'down' settings)

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #2 samsaprunoff, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day Simon,

Attached is the page from the DCOE service manual that may be of help.

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #3 theobordeaux, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Thanks Sam & Theodore. I already had these two manuals but unfortunately, whilst they clearly show how to set-up the float they do not give the settings for a 400 or for 38DCOE 110-111 carbs. I did some research and the measurements vary between the models as can be seen in Theodore's pdf (so a 38DCOE 13-14 is different to a 38DCOE 16-17 is different to a 38DCOE 110-111).

Having thought about this overnight I am pretty sure that the 8mm figure in the owners manual is the 'Up' setting (A in Sam's pdf) and that 15mm is suitable for the lower setting (as it seems a common setting for the various 38DCOE models shown in Throdore's pdf). I'll try these and see how it goes.

5. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    I called two Weber suppliers here in the UK ('Webcon' and 'Fast Road Cars' - thanks guys) and they confirmed that the 'up' setting is indeed as per the owners manual at 8 mm +/- 0.25mm. They varied on the down setting, with one saying 14mm (giving a drop of 6mm) and the other saying 15mm (giving a drop of 7 mm). I discussed this in detail with Webcon (who had said 8mm & 14mm) and they said that whilst the 'up' setting was critical the 'down' setting simply needed to be enough to ensure the fuel valve can fully open but not enough to either let the valve fall out or to let the floats touch the bottom of the float chamber.

After setting these and balancing the airflow and setting the mixtures the car runs great.