64247 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rzinger, Nov 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rzinger

rzinger Rookie

Jun 17, 2014
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 rzinger, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Attached are some pics of 64247. The car has 27k miles on it. I acquired it this past summer and have spent the past few months focused on two things: removing heinous amounts of 1990's era aftermarket wiring (Clifford Intelliguard 800 alarm wired into every orifice of the car, trunk mounted cell phone, front and rear firing radar detector wiring, and heinous amounts of non-working stereo equipment (amps, crossovers, more crossovers, more amps)), and fixing the fuel system.

The fuel system was an interesting one - right bank died while I was driving it - wiring is all intact, no scorched connectors in the relay panel. While I was rewiring (dewiring?) everything I also set up separate power supplies for both pumps as suggested by the helpful folks here, but still no improvement. I pulled both fuel sending units, and both had a short rubber hose between the coiled pump outlet hose and the sending unit plate that had completely split (thank you, ethanol). I replaced those and she fired right up and ran great. Other than that I put in Iridium plugs (I went with a 6 heat range, but will probably move up to a 7), installed rear seat belts (lap belts only, the others were removed when it was converted to a convertible), installed a 760 amp AGM battery, and cleaned everything up.

One of the oil cooler lines was leaking; I had New England Hydraulics in Woburn, MA fabricate one for me (excellent job).

It's changed hands several times; it came with an interesting receipt from Ultrasmith Customs in NYC for a gent named Lud Denny. The receipt is from April 1992 and is for $249,726.67 of which $125,826.67 is for accessorizing the car, including:
    -$45k to convert to a convertible (black top)
    -$12.5K to repaint in Rolls Royce midnight blue metallic
    $17.5k for complete made-to-order interior
    $7.75k for bi-amplified Nakamichi sound system
    $4k for Motorola voice-activated phone with custom antennas
    $3.95k for anti-theft system
    etc.etc.etc.

The car has five TRX rims intact (refinished as part of the work above) and the toolkit and jack intact.

Next items are an oil change as well as air filters (suggestion on air filter sources, as well as the technique for changing them from under the k-jetronic units are appreciated).

This site has been a huge amount of help and as I learn about the car I will post anything that may be of use.

Thanks

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Great looking car! Sounds like you'll have it in top condition in short order. BTW if you take $250K from 1992 and plug it into a CPI calculator it works out to $420K in today's dollars.

3. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Wow! And right around the neighborhood too. Welcome.

4. rzinger

rzinger Rookie

Jun 17, 2014
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks folks. Aidan Parte lives near me and coincidentally a fellow car fanatic connected us - I took 64247 over to Aidan last night so he could test drive it. GT Jones I think you are close as well, if you're interested in coming out for a Thursday night garage night let me know (several of us occasionally get together to enjoy a beverage, talk about cars and motorcycles - a rare opportunity to see more than one 400i/412 in the same place!).

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    It was a fun drive - V12 convertible on a crisp, clear night! It kicks down much more readily than my 400, so I'm guessing it has a shift kit. Looking forward to more drives in future.

Aidan

6. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    Nice job. Saving a nice car from the squirrels nest of 90's add-on wiring. I've seen that nightmare on cars before. If that constituted "personalization", I'm afraid to visit the "custom" version. Yikes!
    Glad to see more "hands on" owners enjoying wrenching on their cars. I will watch for further adventures.

7. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    UFI filters from normal sources are fine. Only other car with that size is a VW van or?

Changing is easy and no need to touch the FI system. Remove the air inlet trunk, undo the 6 or 8 bolts on top (flex screwdriver helps) and the housing drops a bit. Loosen the bolt on the rear hinge a bit and two bolts on side. Then it only takes some wiggle and fiddle to get enough space to remove the old and insert the new. Be sure it seats well before reversing steps.
    Ken
    (the fuel pump rewire job!)

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nice! Welcome to the club.

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I think you are the third f chat. With a convertible. I had no idea that the cars ever sold for as much as you stated

10. rzinger

rzinger Rookie

Jun 17, 2014
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I thought I read Straman converted around 29 or so. Although a prior owner paid Ultrasmith for the conversion (Ultrasmith is no longer around), it isn't clear to me if they did it or it was sent to Straman on a subcontract job. I presume Straman did it...

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Has SF engraved in the chrome window frame. One of 12 RH drive

12. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Very cool. Nice car.