No Representation for our beloved 400/412 | FerrariChat

No Representation for our beloved 400/412

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by palmer_md, Nov 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I took a trip to LA in October and accidently came across a Ferrari show on Rodeo drive. I thought it was the most impressive collection of Ferrari's I'd ever seen, and after reading this review, I suppose it was the most impressive collection shown stateside. The one thing I noticed was the lack of representation for our 365 GT$ 2+2/400/412. Not one example in the show. Everything else I can think of and several I never knew existed were all there.

Here is the story I came across tonight after looking to see what I could find on the internet about the show.

Ferrari takes over Rodeo Drive to introduce F60 America - Autoblog

The photo gallery is impressive. Way better than my iPhone snaps.

2. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    Thanks for posting the show. Quite an impressive display. Even a Mondial, and there wasn't a 365 GT4 2+2, 400GT, 400i, or a 412 at the event. That's just not right.

3. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    It remains a mystery whether no owner of our cars asked to be included in the show, or they were simply denied... There has to be several forum members in the area who may have gotten wind of the show beforehand?

4. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #4 GT Jones, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    The organisers probably didn't want to overshadow all of the other more common Ferrari models.

I don't mean to be elitist but we're obviously very special !

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anyone really believe that any Ferrari show would exclude a front engined V12? Heck, they even had a Mondial there! ;)

7. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Mondials are great cars, especially the later ones. It is rather ridiculous that the 400 series wasn’t represented as it had the longest production run of any Ferrari. Rusty is probably correct, it wouldn’t have been fair on the other cars.

8. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth

I'm pretty shocked that no one on the 365-400-400i-412 forum knew about this since it was widely publicized by the factory, by Ferrari North America and by the Ferrari Club of America. Also a thread right here on FChat with 27 pages and over 500 posts. A big brou-haha since the invitations seemed to imply that anyone bringing his/her Ferrari would be a real participant. What happened was that only owners of 'special cars' got to do the parade, the banquet and other 'in' stuff.

9. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    I visited the Ferrari exhibition for the 30-year celebration of the marque in Hong Kong some time ago and not even a single 400-412 was there (and there were hundreds of cars of all times, old and contemporary).

10. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    How many 944's are on display in Stuttgart?

11. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Which is exactly the reason why I can't be bothered with one marque events of any kind.

These are just cars, if you're lucky enough to have bucket loads of money you can buy really expensive cars and use them to show how off wealthy you are - big deal ! Most of these people wouldn't know a 13mm spanner from a toilet brush and probably swap their new £350,000 cars yearly but where's the passion in that ?

Give me a mixed meet car show any day - real enthusiasts ranging from poor to rich but everyone shares one thing in common - they can appreciate cars of all sorts and don't get too highbrow about how much it cost (usually it's the opposite !).

Ok, rant over. Sorry but I've had a tough day and needed to let off steam !

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #12 bjwhite, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, there are a few. The 924 Carrera GT was in the basement museum parking area. The 924 Carrera GTS was in the display area and the prototype 924 (hideously ugly for sure) was also on display.

Porsche tends to display many prototypes and cars that never really saw the light of day--they don't seem to ever shy away from their history. I'm not saying that Ferrari does--usually it's the owners that shy away from their history--but Porsche certainly celebrates everything they do and have always done.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    So did the organizers turn down a 400 series or did no one apply?

While I didn't keep specific track, I don't think I saw any pictures of 355s or 348s there either, no 250 GTE, 330 GT 2+2, no 365 GT 2+2, 612....

14. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    I went to the porsche museum this year and remember seeing the 924.
    Mercedes museum much better though if you find yourself at a loose end in stuttgart

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Nathan, I agree. The Mercedes museum is fantastic. However, the Porsche museum is a function of Porsche being a much smaller and much more focused automaker throughout most of its history. Mercedes made EVERYTHING.....Porsche just made sportscars until a few years ago. Thus, the museum is smaller.

If you're in Stuttgart, go to both of them....you really must.